Some one was asking about smelts?

bigugli

Despite the rain we tested one of the ice holes. Results were a little disappointing. We found 4" of ice before the rain started, but the ice was deteriorating quickly with the heavy rains. By tomorrow evening it would not be safe.

Smellts are a lot smaller this year compared to last. Even so, managed enough to give the fryer a workout.

DSCN2922.jpg

We will need cold weather before that ice is again good to go.

Been thinking of how to catch Smelt through the ice. Due tell how do you?

Small micro tear drops; plain, tipped with maggots, waxies, eyeballs, red and pink yarns. Depending on the day, they range bottom to just below the hole. Today the bottom was where the bite was.

Edited by bigugli

Small micro tear drops; plain, tipped with maggots, waxies, eyeballs, red and pink yarns. Depending on the day, they range bottom to just below the whole. Today the bottom was where the bite was.

Nice Bruce :thumbsup_anim:

Question: I'm sure this one was asked before, but how do you cook those?? Do you cook'em hole or clean them?? Never fished for this species. Oh and one more question: what's the limit on those??

Jacques

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

smelt are delicious. i used to net them here but i got sick of cleaning them. you haven't lived until you've cleaned smelt for 3 hours...

these days i grab a few dozen from others who go and have a feast once a year.

A sink o smelts...thats what I like to see :thumbsup_anim: The ones you put me on last year where the best I ever tasted. Hopefully the cold that is coming will firm up the ice cause I'm dying for a road trip and a feed.

Is there a seson on netting smelts?

When CPH comes, I want to be his co pilot!

S.

And we will take my truck. :D

They're cannibals, we used to tip our small hooks and tiny jigging spoons with a small piece of an already caught smelt, the eyes worked especially well :o

I've also smoked them, remove the rack from your smoker, thread them on cheap chrome skewers for shish kabobs by the tails and rig up something to hold the skewers horizontally in the smoker.

If there is lots of them, there is no better place to take young kids. You'll never wet a line yourself, too busy taking them off the hook and baiting.

Netting them is a blast!!! do it every year! They run at different times depending on temperature. Last year was the best run I've ever seen. Usually when the in flowing creeks reach 8 deg, start checking around for sign. Catch them lots on the ice, usually accidentally on spreaders, but the odd one on jigging spoons etc while looking for whities and lakers.

bigugli.....is it possible to mention the Lake you were on?........was it Simcoe/Erie/Lake O?.......all are big areas and just would like a heads up, as they truly are delicious and plentifull.....thanks for any hints.

Pm sent, this kind of information should be left to pm's not in the open :)

bahhhh!!! netting smelts is a blast but the aftermath is horrible, hungover cleaning a 1000little bugger for an afternoon is not fun at alllll im just gonna go out get a couple scoops and head home for a meal. if anyone wants to net them contact me this spring they run for about 3 weeks mid april and die out at the beginning of may up here in the sault. just need waders, smelt net, buckets and a light. yippppie!

bahhhh!!! netting smelts is a blast but the aftermath is horrible, hungover cleaning a 1000little bugger for an afternoon is not fun at alllll im just gonna go out get a couple scoops and head home for a meal. if anyone wants to net them contact me this spring they run for about 3 weeks mid april and die out at the beginning of may up here in the sault. just need waders, smelt net, buckets and a light. yippppie!

I remember the spring runs along the Huron shore and the St Mary's. Every available Holsteiner from Sudbury to the Sault would be on crowd control along the shoreline. Used to be some narsty brawls over who got what stretch of shoreline. :P

Sharp pair of scissors, snip off the head, snip the belly, strip the entrails, rinse and bag. I've found that the fastest way to clean the tasty little buggers.

Dredge in flour, fry crispy brown, grab by the tail and eat. Can't see how anybody that likes fish wouldn't like 'em.

This is the first I've ever heard of anyone catching them with hook-and-line though! :D We net them in the spring and that pretty much satisfies the craving for a year.