6 year old catches pike over 40 inches.

kgeary

Here is a link to a pretty cute video of Hayden catching a giant pike

He has caught quite a few over 40 in his young life but we never had a video camera along.

And this is the first time that Hayden drove the boat by himself down the lake about 6 miles and chose his spot etc etc.

He hooked and almost landed it.

I had to climb into his boat and lift it in because it was too heavy for him.

hayden%20pike%2009.jpg

Here is the link to the story and video

video and story of Haydens Giant Pike.

Edited by Rick OBanion
Repaired link

Sorry I forgot where I was.

Hayden has been operating an outboard since he was 3.

He wasn't totally alone in the boat.

He had two adults with him.

by himself means without direction

ie. he knows what he is doing.

when he was driving the boat he had a life jacket on

so did the passengers

so did I

so did the people with me.

when the boat was stopped and anchored in completely flat water I allowed him to take off his life jacket.

So did I , so did my guests, so did haydens guests

should know that everything needs to be explained in detail instead of just enjoying a great video.

Thanks to those that enjoyed.

I think many of us here are parents so the overall concern for the safety of Hayden was top of mind. Its great to see that your little man is getting hooked on fishing so soon and having more luck at it than some seasoned vets ( myself included). Half of teaching a youngster how to fish is How to be safe. I was taught that way and I can't wait till my little guys are old enough so I can teach them the same. You're going to have a very special fishing buddy for a long time!

Nick

Great video!

By the way, my 6 year old also operates our boat - with me close by of course. He has been doing so since he was 4 and I can tell you I have full confidence with him behind the wheel. Mind you he can only get up to a maximum of 30 miles an hour in our boat (and this is well away from other boats/structures). I don;t see anything wrong with that , in fact, I encourage it as it allows children to become more knowledgeable about driving a boat and that is much better than taking an internet course when he/she is older. Plus, in case of an emergency, it doesn;t hurt to have him being capable of getting us back to shore if I can't for any reason.

Hope the OPP don;t hassle us if they see this (since he doesn;t have an operators card yet)?

Hope the OPP don;t hassle us if they see this (since he doesn;t have an operators card yet)?

Don't quote me on it, but I think as long as somebody in the boat has the license, your good. Not sure if there is an age limit though. Can anybody confirm?

Your right, as of september he can no longer drive a boat.

even though he knows more than enough to pass the course

Not sure what the minimum age is to take the test??

anyone know??

your absolutely right there is no need to wait until he is older to learn how to drive a boat.

Of course he is going to be doing it under my supervision at all times.

myself, my brother, and my three sisters were all driving boats when we were 4 or 5 years old.

of course we were under our parents supervision.

we never came anywhere close to 30 mph.

don't think I had a rig that fast until I was 30

In an emergency I would be grateful that Hayden could drive me home.

I know of an instance where a boy did just that and probably saved his dads life.

I would have more confidence in him than half the people I see running around the lakes

operators card or not.

Hayden always wears his life jacket when the boat is moving even when I am driving.

I'd say that 85% of my guests refuse to wear life jackets and half want to sit on the pedestal seat on the casting deck WHILE CRUISING???

he's done 4 years of swimming courses and swims like a fish.

I think any one of us could find several thousand photos of people holding fish without a lifejacket on, without any comments on it.

Hayden has been in the outdoors since he was 2 weeks old.

I'm teaching him all the time.

And apparently he's learning.

For me this is what it's all about.

Don't quote me on it, but I think as long as somebody in the boat has the license, your good. Not sure if there is an age limit though. Can anybody confirm?

I am positive the person driving must have the card.

Just wondering if the OPP would be sticklers in the case of a child obviously being supervised by an adult who has the card.

I wonder if I would have an issue if the child was steering while on my lap/standing in front of the seat with me?

It's too bad we have to worry about these things! But I doubt you will get any official response other than it is up to the discretion of the officer.

by the way Tennessee Guy

thanks for the pics

happy new year and

thank you so much for convincing me to buy an inversion table

it has changed my life.

thank you, thank you.

did you check out my blog?

on the left below the pic of the family in the rapids is the BLOG ARHIVE

you can waste a few hours looking at all that stuff.

some neat videos as well.

anyway thanks again

good health to you,

Thanks for sharing that was wicked! Great to see a young lad like that taking such a liking to fishing and the outdoors!!

Great job!

WOW.....typical responses from a few people.

Can't you guys just say "great fish, wicked video" instead of grilling him about other things?

If safety is a priority, then there is no problem with anything that was done.

Let me guess.....those of you who have an issue with it have NEVER done ANYTHING underage in your life?

Give the kid a break, my god!

From my reading, EVERYONE needs a card to operate a motor boat (regardless of age) and there appears to be no minimum age listed to get the card.

So for my child to legally operate a boat he needs a card at the minimum.

Even if my 6 year old gets a card, there are horsepower restrictions BUT ONLY if he is out on his own (which won;t be the case until he is much older). So as long as he is with me and he has a card, he can drive any boat with no restrictions.

But let's assume my child does go out on his own, here are the rules around restrictions depending on age :

- Children under the age of 12 and not directly supervised by someone 16 years of age or older can operate a recreational vessel with no more than 10 hp.

- Youth between 12 years of age and under 16 years of age and not directly supervised by someone 16 years of age or older, can operate a recreational vessel with no more than 40 hp.

- Only persons 16 years of age or older can operate a personal watercraft (PWC) regardless of supervision.

Hope this provides some clarity to the questions we had.

Edited by fisher

COOL, NOW THIS IS GETTING TO BE FUN

I WONDER WHAT DIRECT SUPERVISION MEANS.

CAN I DIRECTLY SUPERVISE HIM FROM ANOTHER BOAT??

HAYDEN WILL BE GETTING A CARD BEFORE SUMMER.

ON A LESSER NOTE:

I'M SURE HE WILL BE MUCH SAFER HAVING A CARD IN HIS POCKET

AT LEAST IF IT IS MADE OF PAPER HE CAN USE IT TO HELP LIGHT A FIRE IN AN EMERGENCY.

(EVEN THOUGH HE KNOWS HOW TO WITHOUT PAPER)

SORRY BAD SENSE OF HUMOR.

PLEASE FORGIVE. :P

Good that the inversion table is helping.

I'll be checking your blog. Will be looking for my photo.

Dano might agree that I'd rather have Hayden driving 4wheelers on the portage than a couple of other guys I know about. As a 4 year old Hayden spent all day, every day wearing both a helmet and a lifejacket. Always ready for a ride on the 4wheeler or taking a boat out for a spin.

im sorry i guess i read the post wrong.

and i never said i had a problem with someone letting the kids drive a boat, as long as someone is there with them.

i taught all my kids how to drive a boat and i was right there with them.

but like i said i guess i read his postings wrong

And this is the first time that Hayden drove the boat by himself down the lake about 6 miles

I had to climb into his boat and lift it in because it was too heavy for him.

he drove himself , (followed closely by dad) over six miles

down the lake.

have a nice day