Spring Fishing Show or the Sportsman Show

rob v

I'm about a two hour and change drive from TO and to make the trip twice is a bit of a stretch. Last spring my wife and I went to the fishing show and enjoyed it - but she's not quite so pationate about fishing and it didn't take her long to get bored.

This year I was thinking we might go to the the sportsman show instead - thinking it might offer a broader range of entertainment to keep her interested, while at the same time giving me a bit of fishing/boating candy to keep me entertained.

I haven't been to the sportsmans show in a long time - so I was looking for some input from some of the members who have been to both lately. If you were primarily interested in fishing - but also enjoy other outdoor activites - camping, hunting, cottaging etc - which would you prefer if you could only choose one ?

Thanks. - Rob v

I have only chosen one...I'll be at the Spring Fishing Show. I cannot do both and the SFS is the best for me. Big mall at BPS, drop your wife off there with a list of things you NEED at Bass Pro and she'll have the rest of the day to shop in the rest of the mall. Does that sound good?

This year I was thinking we might go to the the sportsman show instead - thinking it might offer a broader range of entertainment to keep her interested, while at the same time giving me a bit of fishing/boating candy to keep me entertained.

I haven't been to the sportsmans show in a long time - so I was looking for some input from some of the members who have been to both lately. If you were primarily interested in fishing - but also enjoy other outdoor activites - camping, hunting, cottaging etc - which would you prefer if you could only choose one ?

Thanks. - Rob v

I think that your logic is pretty sound here. I went to both last year and I think the sportsman show definitely has more to offer. Not only for your wife, but for you.

I like Exhibition place better than the "warehouse by the airport" as well (yes it cost more to park, but I think it's worth it). The sportsman show has guns, cottages, sham wows! You can't go wrong.

Jim

Sportsmans show is no longer at the EX (david miller saw to that) It will now be held at the Metro Toronto Convention Center right downtown.....not too far from the Eatons Center!

jjcanoe

$4 per half hour max $17 up to 7PM

I've been to a few functions there. It's not too bad to get into (by Big Smoke standards).

JF

Links to both:

http://www.fishandboatshow.com/ Feb 12-15, 2010 International Centre.

http://www.torontosportshow.ca/ Mar 17-21, 2010 Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

The floor plans are not quite filled in yet. Curious to know how much vendor overlap there is for both shows.

Any one from last years Fish and Boat show remember if vendors sold lure parts (0.062 wire, big Colorado blades, 4/0 trebles, powercoat paints, etc)?

edit: thanks bigugli.

Edited by Syn

Links to both:

The floor plans are not quite filled in yet. Curious to know how much vendor overlap there is for both shows.

Any one from last years Fish and Boat show remember if vendors sold lure parts (0.062 wire, big Colorado blades, 4/0 trebles, powercoat paints, etc)?

Luremaking.com used to be there but not last year. There were no parts vendors at the fishing show.

I'm about a two hour and change drive from TO and to make the trip twice is a bit of a stretch. Last spring my wife and I went to the fishing show and enjoyed it - but she's not quite so pationate about fishing and it didn't take her long to get bored.

Thanks. - Rob v

I think the Sportsman show would serve you and your wife better. Just like you stated "broader range of entertainment".

I may have to review my budget - sounds like either option might get expensive.... go to the boat show - drop the wife at Vaughn Mall $$$$,..... go tto the sportsman show and let the parking meter soak me ! Oh well...guess that's the price you pay !

Park at Yorkdale Mall and take the TTC down to the convention center. Especially if you want to drop your wife off for the day to shop. Although, parking there is hell.

Exactly what I plan on doing. That way I'm a short drive from BPS to spend my xmas gift cards! The best sale of the year is at the same time as the TSS

jjcanoe

The spring fishing show several years back was definitely superior.

It was more oriented towards fishing and everything I wanted and more was there to see.

The last one I attended was...well.....it sucked big time.

The sportsman show has all aspects of outdoor fun and would likely appeal to most enthusiasts attending.