Floater or snowmobile suit while riding??

Burtess

How many don a floater suit while riding their snowmobiles on / crossing over bodies of water?

I would think more people on OFC probably wear one compared to the general public, since we are more likely to be icefishing as well and more safety conscious.

My buddy wears one all the time but he says guys laugh at him for wearing it, when they are wearing their fancy snowmobile suits.

Burt :)

They laugh at him? Really? I would've thought snowmobilers would be all over the float suits. I guess they don't look "Nascar" enough for'em...big opportunity for the guys making these suits to make some more coin and pander to the the snowmobile set who need to look "cool"

Well I dress for both sides of the argument.

When I'm fishing I usually wear my bright orange survival suit but not always depending on the areas I frequent as I am fishing away from staked areas or on lakes that don't have staked trails.For instance where I fish on St John and Cooch I rarely wear the floatation suit.The areas we fish are known areas that always have early well travelled ice and lots of people sharing ice info daily.Lake Simcoe is the totally opposite;I always wear my suit and I won't be out there till I see a city off of Carthew Bay and even then I'm wary as heck.Too many currents.

When I'm snowmobiling I wear my two piece snowmobile suit which is much more comfortable and easier to keep from sweating,something I find the survival suit doesn't do well when you exert yourself. I ride staked trails that are marked open or are stated open on the website but it also depends on the daily conditions.If it's windy to the point of whiteouts on the lake I will ride land routes.As I am more interested in driving trails as opposed to open ice I don't personally feel the need for a mustang ice rider suit and as a trail user it is my responsibility to check for open trails in the area I go even the lake crossings.

Most people getting in trouble out there are ones that think their machine is gonna fly right over everything.Common sense should be the rule but early in the season it seems Murphy's Law is the rule.

Kerry

Seems like a no brainer to me. If you know your going to be traveling over frozen water, wear some form of flotation device. A floatation suit or better yet a survival suit is your best option.

Looking cool means nothing if your dead!

guys the problem with a survival suit is when you ride a snowmobile you sweat your ass off...there is no way you could wear one while riding a sled all day... and it is your responsibility to check the ice and be responsible...i wear a snowmobile suit travel in a group[...stay on marked trails and always ask locals when unfamiliar.....but yes there are always gonna be freak accidents and dummies..

Seems like a no brainer to me. If you know your going to be traveling over frozen water, wear some form of flotation device. A floatation suit or better yet a survival suit is your best option.

Looking cool means nothing if your dead!

Ditto for me!!!... it would really suck to lose your machine through the ice, but your machine and your life!!!?

I know most of y'all need another winter suit like you need another hole in the head, but if you're looking for another suit you should really check these out... they're remarkable!

http://idigear.com/video.php

They're about 1/8 the weight of a regular floation suit and 1/8 the thickness... but have enough floatation material to float 3 adults!

Obviously I don't snowmobile or ice fish, but I do fish over frigid water... and I bought one just for that purpose!

well I am a snowmobiler and ice fisherman.I only wear snowmobile suit and will not venture on questionable ice.That being said,

I am in the market for a survival suit/float suit and would like some info on brand names,one piece/2 piece,and what I should expect to pay as well as where to purchase. thanks.

well I am a snowmobiler and ice fisherman.I only wear snowmobile suit and will not venture on questionable ice.That being said,

I am in the market for a survival suit/float suit and would like some info on brand names,one piece/2 piece,and what I should expect to pay as well as where to purchase. thanks.

GCD posted a link on another thread on the newest maker of suits. There is also Buoy-O-Boy, Helly Hansen and Mustang. All do the job.

I believe Buoy-O-Boy is the cheapest and can be found for $200. The rest go up to $400 (Maybe more)

I have the Buoy-O-Boy...a little bulky but incredibly warm!

In my opinion a 2pc survival suit is the best of both worlds.

Ditto,

The 2 Piece suits are comfy as well.

I've heard Guys argue they feel like they are bulky or filled with cardboard plates, but all I know is my Mustang suit is comfortable as all heck?

No bulk to be noticed IMO.

That argument has always bothered me...

To argue against safety for the sake of comfort then you might as well not wear your seatbelt either IMO