ATV - Problems starting in cold weather

The Birdfish

I have a 2009 Polaris 500 sportmen. When the temp goes below 0 the dam thing has a really hard time starting/turning over and it will sometimes kill the battery when doing so!!!!

I sometimes trailer it up to simcoe and on really cold days it will not turn over and I need to jump it

I am looking for advice on what I should do??

I gather it's a 4 stroke right?

No different than your car in very cold temps, add a block heater and battery warmer to it.

Plug it in over night before you head out and keep it covered. It should hold in enough heat for starting on all but the most frigid days. My 4 stroke snowmobile is the same way at -25 or colder if I don't plug it in for a couple of hours before I head out.

If it's really cold and you are staying put make sure you run it for a while during the day to put some heat back in the block so you don't get stranded on the lake. If you are ice fishing and your machine won't start because of the cold cover it with a tarp and put your heater under there to warm up the engine.

my first two quads had carbs.. hated them both... i was never stuck but it was a PAIN!

Bought an 06 500x2 EFI .. MINT !! starts everytime !! anywhere!

Is your choke working? if its setup correctly it should start first time. When my choke was not frozen mine would start right away.

Since its an 09 i doubt it needs a carb cleaning yet but something you could try to do if it comes to that.

The battery might be a dud. Id put a battery tester on it to make sure its holding a full charge.

I own a Honda 1996 300 4x4 set the choke full hit the start button and wamo I don't care how cold it is that bike will start.

My Yamaha 350 big bear 4x4 is the same, pull out the choke hit the button and is running. Synthetic oil is key keep the carb clean. Use shell super only it has no additives.

Like T Fisher.. I have a 350 big bear... 1995 if I remember right. Starts with no effort.. 4 seasons.. -40 or not. Quick hit of the button or a single pull of the rope. Unlike T Fisher... it's got the oil still in it from after the first dealer oil change. Never been changed since. Carb.. never been off... saving grace.. maybe all that 100LL AV Gas we've run thru it instead of car gas with all them nasty varnish making additives.

Allmost sounds like 2 separate issue causing hard starts:

1) Choke not functioning properly , possibly freezing? I have this issue on my ArcticCats every winter where moisture in the cable freezes and makes it non functional until it warms up. When this happens you need to pin the throttle wide open.

2) Failing Battery, Do a load test on it, that will give you a definate answer. My original battery one of mine only lasted over a year, the other going strong after 3yrs.

Synthetic is highly recomended if you use in winter. You will not regret it and all my toys get it.

GoodLuck

I have a 99 500 Sportsman and have a similar problem I pulled the drain plug on the recoil side and about 1/2 a cup of water came out Dammed if I know how it got in there I checked all the bolts that hold the recoil on and they were tight and the cap for the pull cord is on and I"m not loosing antifreeze

Any ideas :huh:

I have a 99 500 Sportsman and have a similar problem I pulled the drain plug on the recoil side and about 1/2 a cup of water came out Dammed if I know how it got in there I checked all the bolts that hold the recoil on and they were tight and the cap for the pull cord is on and I"m not loosing antifreeze

Any ideas :huh:

Do you mean the water came out of your crank case?

I am running the recommend Polaris Oil that comes in the tune up kit, I think its synthetic but I will check and I do have regular gas I will add the winter gas in.

As far as the choke goes when I manage to start it the idle is super low and takes time to get to a high RPM. If the choke is freezing how do you fix that besides heating the machine before a start???

Does anyone know anything about Jetting the carb, I looked on-line and saying its for extreme cold and high altitude??

I have an 07 Honda 400 and have had a hard time starting it since new. I have to prime it in cold weather and still keep the choke part way out to keep it running until it warms up. Just had it's second oil change and they don't use synthetic oil. Will replacing it void the warranty?

As long as the oil you want to use carries the same specs, ie, 10W30, SL, etc, there's no problem. Got to remember that Honda or Polaris and all the others don't make their own oil, they just go to any company that can meet their specs, place an order and wack their own stickers on the bottles.

Edited by Fisherman

For the choke cable, I spray it with a WD40 type lube or what ever your favourite may be. I remove the choke lever until the cable opening is exposed and spray and spray some more while working the cable back and forth. I have found it works better if I spray the cable from the carb side as well.

Hope this helps you out.

On a side note, try to find a forum for your particular brand as you will get a ton of info there.

For me its www.arcticchat.com

Just a side note for you ATV guys.

I had problems last year with the cheapo contactor that controls the Polaris cheapo winch. The dealers want over $100.00 for these, and they are still cheapo!

I found a place called KFI Products on an ATV website. They are in Minnesota, but were a pleasure to deal with! The replacement contactor was $22.00 through them! http://www.kfiproducts.com

If you need anything to do with winches or controls, they are worth a look!