New Years fishing Resolutions...

Garry2Rs

I am sure that most of us will make some quiet New Years resolutions about learning new baits or techniques next season.

Mine will involve large swimbaits, of the type most often used for monster Bass in California...BBZ-1 etc.

What kind of baits or techniques will you be trying to learn over the next 12 months?

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

I am sure that most of us will make some quiet New Years resolutions about learning new baits or techniques next season.

Mine will involve large swimbaits, of the type most often used for monster Bass in California...BBZ-1 etc.

What kind of baits or techniques will you be trying to learn over the next 12 months?

Garry2R's

Me too Garry, I really want to give the hollow bodied shad baits a serious go in 2010.

Ironically I just got some of the Basstrix baits in the mail yesterday, merry Christmas to me. :)

Gotta get the flyrod under control. Got a bunch of bass flies that SingingDog sent down here and what little water time they had was spoiled by my ineptitude. So that's my target this year - bass on the fly.

The other thing I need to deal with is getting something living (other than me) attached to one end of whatever line et al I put on my brand spankin' new 13 footer. Be fun to experience some of those big silver critters the rest of you catch. Mebbe I'll have to settle for some big ole carp to break it in.

JF

I am going to try and get out of my comfort zone fliippin with flippin jigs, etc for largies and try more crankbaits, especially deep divers.

Last years goal at this time was to focus on sight fishing smallies, which I now LOVE, hope to hone it more this upcoming season!

Edited by Harrison

Get out with my new boat and do some serious bass fishing, topwater with buzz baits, poppers etc! Also get out with my old man at least once for some specks, we haven't done it in years and now that he is in his 70's I don't want to pass up the opportunity for some more memories!

My biggest goal is to learn a new lake this summer i have my eyes set on lake seymour ie. trent river.. I also want to perfect my drop shotting techniques, i have the largemouth on lock but still cant dial in on smallmouth over 12"..

As for more things i can not wait to get out searching for crappies on rice and chemong..

My ice fishing goal this year is to catch more fish with artificial than live or dead bait...

CT

Summer '09 was the first season that I got serious about throwing top-waters. I'm completely addicted to that, so next year's SMB season is going to be a lot of this...

IMG_1844.JPG

I am going to try putting down my top-water rods long enough to try a couple of things out though. The last couple of years I got right into soft plastics but believe it or not, never tried Senkos...I'm going to pick some of those up.

I also never put the time and energy into drop shotting that I should have. I tried a few times but didn't have great success and relied on other presentations instead.

I want to get a decent baitcasting outfit and get good on that. I've only ever used cheap bait reels and have never liked them but am told if I get a good one I'll probably like it a lot more. I've got a thread in Classified looking for a decent right hand reel...PM me if you've got one for sale.

Also, I want to gain confidence in plastic baits in favour of live bait through the ice. I've tried a few times but had limited success and always end up falling back on live minnows. I used to use a lot of live bait in the summer, but have totally gotten away from it in favour of scented plastic. Not having the hassle of live bait is nice.

Good thread, really got me thinking.

My New Years resolution for last year was to improve my jigging technique, when jigging grubs back to the boat. I think I got the hang of it this year, and I caught a nice number of Walleye in the fall up on Georgian Bay with this technique..

My fishing New Years resolution for 2010... Probably is to give Musky fishing more of a go. Last year we only got out targeting Musky one time.. this year I'll probably improve my effort and time trying to catch one.. on a side note, devote a bit more time in 2010 to Steelhead fishing..

Me too Garry, I really want to give the hollow bodied shad baits a serious go in 2010.

Ironically I just got some of the Basstrix baits in the mail yesterday, merry Christmas to me. :)

Where from Mike, my bud has been using them for 2 seasons. He got them in California of all places!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!