What,,,,,,,,

misfish

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

he didn't leap as part of the hit, he leapt as he completed the hit on the follow through...

apparently the nhl (as well as anyone who isn't a leaf fan) does not feel it was dirty, just a big hit at a vulnerable time.

we could argue about it until we're all blue in the face but the league through it's inaction has demonstrated that the hit was legal.

i'm sure orr or komi has his number...

he didn't leap as part of the hit, he leapt as he completed the hit on the follow through...

apparently the nhl (as well as anyone who isn't a leaf fan) does not feel it was dirty, just a big hit at a vulnerable time.

we could argue about it until we're all blue in the face but the league through it's inaction has demonstrated that the hit was legal.

i'm sure orr or komi has his number...

Stajan kinda defended the hit last night in an interview. He admitted he had his head down, sort of a mea culpa.

Part of the problem is that the size of the players is growing every year. They're starting to look more like husky basketball teams than hockey teams, and unfortunately some of the niftiest players are still little 6' pipsqueaks and unless they start jumping (and get charging penalties) their little heads are gonna be right about shoulder/elbow level for the Charas of the hockey world.

Dunno what the solution is to that fact of hockey life. Guys taking mid-ice passes have to learn to trust the passing ability of their team mates and just keep their stick on the ice and have soft hands. If they look for the puck they're gonna get smoked.

All that being said I really relish those moments when one of the ginormous players gets his bell rung by one of the little squirts, not that it happens often. Chara may well be a gentle giant but I get sick of seeing him "gently" take guys off the puck with an elbow in the ear. All I want for Christmas is to see him get some of that back in spades from someone. anyone. Same goes for Chris Pronger, except in his case I wouldn't mind seeing someone mebbe take a few extra minutes penalty. He's a dirty checker who knows exactly where his elbows are gonna make contact. As tough as it is for the league to qualify headshots, I wish they could find a way to give the refs some leeway in interpreting what was intent to injure and what was just collateral damage.

JF

Ok..leafs suck.

It was a clean hit. Having your head down and leaning back like that sets you up for a head shot. You have lowered your head far too much by your body angle. NEVER cut across the ice like that near the blue line or you will get your head removed...it has always been that way. Something they teach you in bantam hockey. Head up, don't admire your pass, don't look in your feet for a pass, don't cut across the blue line! The hitter got less resistance than he expected so the lifting force ends up in taking your feet off the ice.

Only one team in the NHL has given up more goals than the Leafs so far this season. That's a little surprising considering the money this year to "upgrade" the defense and the much reported addition of the Monster.

Curiously, one of the commentators mentioned that the Leafs lead or are very close to leading the league in shots on goal per game, now what does that tell you?

GO HABS GO. May have been badly outshot, but the good guys still got the 2 points!

Looked like a replay of the opening game of the season. Out shot them that game too and still lost :wallbash:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i like how pumped leafs fans got, and how they all got swept up in playing "mediocre" hockey...

for all the flag waving i saw this month, what was toronto's actual record, something like 5-6?

i like how pumped leafs fans got, and how they all got swept up in playing "mediocre" hockey...

for all the flag waving i saw this month, what was toronto's actual record, something like 5-6?

Lotsa mediocre going around the NHL these days. Too many teams whose records by your standard would seem to indicate they're pretty hot are having to struggle to beat the Leafs. Way too many ties and strong comebacks by the Leafs for many of the other teams to get too cocky.

Besides, we've got the Juniors to cheer for for a few days. I wish they hadn't had such an easy time against the Latvians. The Americans had to work hard for a good part of their game against the Czechs. It was a good pace setter. Brutal checking game but hopefully the one Latvian won't be out of the whole show. That would suck for him. Be fun to see the kids whose NHL team can't spare them (which in itself says a lot about the calibre of the NHL today) playing with the Canucks. Our juniors may not even need those pros but it would be fun to see what they'd be like with them.

Go Canucks.

JF

• 4 weeks later...

After last night's collapse, this thread warrants a bump.

Leafs chased Luongo from the net and then gave up 5 straight goals for the Canucks.

Now tied for last in the East and 29th overall. And they've given up the most goals in the league.

Guess Burke isn't as smart as everyone, including him, thought he was.

After last night's collapse, this thread warrants a bump.

Leafs chased Luongo from the net and then gave up 5 straight goals for the Canucks.

Now tied for last in the East and 29th overall. And they've given up the most goals in the league.

the worst part is who replaced Luongo in net and held the Leafs scoreless, he is still on the Leaf's payroll :wallbash:

I knew THAT from the start!! The only solice I can take in this season is that both morons, Burke and Wilson, are heading up the US Olympic Team ... which puts them squarely out of medal contention this go 'round of the Winter Games. :thumbsup_anim::D

Edited by lhousesoccer

BURKE must go>>> what does he plan to do to make leaf's better next year>>>NOTHING he already gave away 1st and 2dn round draft picks>.he has no one to trade, lets face it the leaf's 1st liners are 4th liners on other teams>>what he needed to do is what people call "bottom feeding"..pick up 1st 2nd 3rd round draft picks or trade for them>>not give them away or trade them away>> let them play and become better over the five years so then finally you could have a good team and a good run at the cup>>the leafs need to build a team to win the cup its been proven that when you build a team with players in high drafts and trade for players in high draft positions and wait for these players to mature and lets not forget you need an awsome golie you can win a cup..but the BURKE is doing what all other leaf gm's have done in the past>>> trade away your high draft picks for veterans who are not wanted on other teams for some reason, oh yah of course we do find out why the other teams did not want them, there not really as good as we thought>>

Edited by walleyemaster