Sore Arm

Clampet

Well, decided to head out today to a different spot.

Got there around 10:45 AM, walked fer about 20 minutes, beautiful day, did not need to wear heavy clothing while walking just too warm.

I avoided setting up around a huge conglomeration of Ice Shanties. Elected to stay away from the crowd.

Feb_21_001.jpg

Did not need Tarp today, very nice.

Made my first hole. Tipped offering with a nice lively shiner.

Caught a small Perch, and put it back down the hole. There were some green weeds there. Every now and then I would snag them and bring them up and throw them beside the hole.

After about 15 minutes decided to move about 20 paces.

Caught another 3 Perch, then nothing for about 10 minutes.

Decided to move again about 40 paces.

Drill the hole, use the scoop to remove the ice from hole. Bait the lure, lower it to the bottom, crank a half turn on the reel handle to raise the lure slightly off bottom.....then......tick...I feel something, could be a weed, but I just hold the rod steady, neither pulling nor giving any slack. Then I notice a slight pulling, very slowly. I say to myself this is a fish. I know from the way it is pulling it is not one of those dinky Perch. So I pull very slowly and steadily upwards. Now I get the full gist of what is happening. It feels like a pail full of cement. There is a large fish on. I am exited. :lol:

Anyway I take my anti-reverse off my spinning reel, as I do not trust drags, especially in colder temps.

So for the next 15 minutes I am engaging this fish. I pump it up about 5 feet, it pulls back, I back reel just enough to keep the line from parting, and keep enough tension so that the hook doesn't come out.

I tell ya, my arm was getting sore. I tried to give it a break by holding the rod with my left hand but just for a few seconds. What a fight. This thing was heavy. I could feel the weight when I pulled on it. I don't think I had it foul hooked sideways, as I felt it bite initialy, suggesting I had it hooked in the mouth.

So, I'm thinking, if I can get this thing up to the hole, will it fit? :dunno:

Visions of a gaff hook come to mind, but I don't have one. I begin considering hollering to the nearby anglers fishing out of the rental huts, but dismiss that idea, as I don't want to be beholding to any strangers.

I start to think that this thing, whatever it is, prolly won't fit thru my 6 inch ice hole.

But no time fer that, I am still reefing on this thing, and it it is pulling back too.

So after about 15 minutes I notice that there is no longer any give. I figure that the fish has reached the hole. I try pulling, nope it is solid. I try to give a bit of slack, but none is taken. I figure the damn fish is crossways under the ice, so I reach fer one of my tarp poles un my sleigh. I manage to get a pole loose from the velcro, and with one hand I hold the rod, and with the other I carefully push the pole down the hole. I try swishing the pole around, trying to feel the fish. But I feel nothing. The line is angled (there's that word angle) down the hole and probably hooked to the edge of the hole, I reason cause there is no longer any pulling from the fish, and I cannot get the line to budge.

I break it off after a few minute of trying, and pack everything up and begin the walk back to shore. I make it to the car at 2:59 Pm.

I landed a 19 lb Pike in the French River some time ago, and this fish that I lost today felt considerably heavier.

Paul once again I enjoyed that.I could just imagine the adrealine pumping today ,your heart must have been pumping fast.Now you need to add a gaff hook to your list of wants .I put tape on the end of mine when I want to release the fish.I am glad I bought the 8 inch Fin bore.I can always learn a little from you older guys. :clapping: MTP. I posted a few skunks but its nice to hear about the one that got away>>>>>>>>>>>>> :Gonefishing:

Man that sucks I know how you feel the same thing happened to me but not ice fishing. The crappie fishing was hot then it stopped for 10 mintues not a bite, then bang bobber went flying under and after a 10 mintue fight it broke off. We got a glimpse of it and it was also a pike. But hey, atleast you got a decent fight out of it. Nice report btw, It was exciting not like my plain report went fishing caught this... haha lol :thumbsup_anim:

I still think it was a TROPHY tree branch! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

One species that noone has mentioned it could have been is a Burbot, it's getting about that time of year for them to come in shallow and breed under the ice... but it was prolly an ol' ill tempered Pike or vicious Carp.

Edited by Greencoachdog

Guest mistyriver1

Great read Clampet.

I was thinking the same as Rich.....Carp. My son and I were out on Simcoe last year and we hooked a carp that we would have not got through a 10 inch hole. We fought him for a bit and tried to get him to the hole for a pic but he snapped the line.