Beer and boats

Cookslav

Curiosity has the best of me and perhaps this topic has been done before but for myself this is a bit hazy...

Maybe there are others who would like to know as well?

I could be wrong but,

Can I not drink a beer, while not under power, and at anchor?

If I'm not driving, not over the limit, not under power or mobile.

Especially in say a canoe or non motorized water craft?

Or a water craft with only an electric motor....is this grounds for DUI?

I'm not talking about getting crap faced and operating a boat

I'm saying one beer, while at anchor in a non motorized boat.

If this is indeed illegal how do the rental house boats get away with being allowed to drink while at anchor?

Or any boat parked in a Marina, or anchored in a back bay some were

Just curious how that works?

It is a criminal offence to operate a pleasure craft under the influence of alcohol, drugs or other controlled substances. In Ontario, boats can carry alcohol only if they have permanent washroom facilities, kitchen facilities and sleeping accommodations. The alcohol can only be consumed when anchored, moored or berthed (not underway).

In Ontario youmust have a head and a galley and you must be anchored. No person is permitted to consume alcohol while the boat is in motion. Then once you have pulled up anchor and continue on your way the captain can not be over the limit.

Quebec is totally different.

It's called liquor other than residence.. and a charge that has existed as long as I've been alive. You cannot drink alchol anywhere (in Ontario) but in a place that is considered a residence.. or space you are renting like a camp site in a PPark... or campsite on the lake etc. If you are transporting the alcohol anywhere other than directly from one residence to another (and can prove it like cottage to home) you better have a full case count while underway. Houseboats and full head crusiers get away with it because the have FULL living facilities.

Now if you are in the USA.. different story depending on state/county etc. I've sat on the steps of the Capital building in DC and drank a beer. Under age.. but .. :D

Edited by irishfield

It is a criminal offence to operate a pleasure craft under the influence of alcohol, drugs or other controlled substances. In Ontario, boats can carry alcohol only if they have permanent washroom facilities, kitchen facilities and sleeping accommodations. The alcohol can only be consumed when anchored, moored or berthed (not underway).

That makes sence, but I'm talking a Canoe, Paddle boat, plastic non motorized punt.

Not sure if that clasifies as "pleasure craft"....I don't beleive you need your Pleasure craft Licence to drive any of the above right?

You cannot drink alchol anywhere but in a place that is considered a residence.. or space you are renting like a camp site in a PPark... or campsite on the lake etc. If you are transporting the alcohol anywhere other than directly from one residence to another (and can prove it like cottage to home) you better have a full case count while underway. Houseboats and full head crusiers get away with it because the have FULL living facilities.

Makes total sence wayne,

But could you be nailed for DUI is what I'm wondering?

heck I've had a beer in a canoe in the park a few time...

I know its a faux pas for some, and camp tradition for others right?

I could easily see a fine, for drinking in Public for sure or some other similar fine, but a $150 fine beats the heck outta a lost license right?

That makes sence, but I'm talking a Canoe, Paddle boat, plastic non motorized punt.

Not sure if that clasifies as "pleasure craft"....I don't beleive you need your Pleasure craft Licence to drive any of the above right?

Makes total sence wayne,

But could you be nailed for DUI is what I'm wondering?

heck I've had a beer in a canoe in the park a few time...

I know its a faux pas for some, and camp tradition for others right?

I could easily see a fine, for drinking in Public for sure or some other similar fine, but a $150 fine beats the heck outta a lost license right?

The new law states impared operation of a VESSEL. They can take that right down to being on a floating chair if they really want to, to ruin your day.

Now if you are in the USA.. different story depending on state/county etc. I've sat on the steps of the Capital building in DC and drank a beer. Under age.. but .. :D

My brother-in-law from Texas pulled a can of beer from his carry on and cracked it at the Toronto airport after they touched down. He couldn't understand why my sister freaked out. When told he couldn't drink in the car he just kept saying, "But I ain't drivin'!". He told me back home you can have a passenger passed out with an open bottle in his hand and a backseat full of empties, and as long as you don't blow over you're good to go.

Ah...

I feel like a lush continuing the thread but I seriously want to know LOL...

So what if the person is not Impared?

One drink, in a non motorized, non pleasure craft, at anchor, not under way....perhaps in a floating chair :P

Just the liquor other than residence fine.... but if you blow over .05 your floating chair will be impounded and you have to swim home ! lol

Ah...

I feel like a lush continuing the thread but I seriously want to know LOL...

So what if the person is not Impared?

One drink, in a non motorized, non pleasure craft, at anchor, not under way....perhaps in a floating chair :P

I think you could be charged, but under the circumstances you are descibing, the cop would have to be a real prick to give you anything more than a warning and ask you to take it to the porch. You never know though.

It's called liquor other than residence.. and a charge that has existed as long as I've been alive. You cannot drink alchol anywhere (in Ontario) but in a place that is considered a residence.. or space you are renting like a camp site in a PPark... or campsite on the lake etc. If you are transporting the alcohol anywhere other than directly from one residence to another (and can prove it like cottage to home) you better have a full case count while underway. Houseboats and full head crusiers get away with it because the have FULL living facilities.

This is exactly the way it was explained to me, absolutely no open containers period unless you can comply with the full living facilities

You would be hard pressed to get away with that now Wayne

A lot has changed since you were a kid :D

I rented an ice hut on the Bog last winter for the weekend. I had beds, stove, etc and there was an outhouse not 25 meters from the hut. I was told by OPP that I couldn't drink. I found that interesting. Lucky for me they showed up in the morning when all I had to show was empties. :)

if your not on some popular lake, some small up north lake, just nurse your darn beer! keep it low.. and dont get drunk cuz it your own life.. funny tho i remember 15 years ago+ my uncle and dad used to drink and boat all the time up north,, I guess times have changed..

I rented an ice hut on the Bog last winter for the weekend. I had beds, stove, etc and there was an outhouse not 25 meters from the hut. I was told by OPP that I couldn't drink. I found that interesting. Lucky for me they showed up in the morning when all I had to show was empties. :)

He was lying to you.

Its your residence so you can drink there.

You could have a tent and a pee pot, as long as you are spending the night you can drink.

He told me back home you can have a passenger passed out with an open bottle in his hand and a backseat full of empties, and as long as you don't blow over you're good to go.

I wouldnt listen to a whole lot this guy has to say after hearing this. I got a buddy like this. Before he gets all revved up and his stories start to snowball and get out of control, I stop him and say...."DUDE, dont be that guy..... Start over and tell us what really happened" :P

He was lying to you.

Its your residence so you can drink there.

You could have a tent and a pee pot, as long as you are spending the night you can drink.

You had better get a legal interpretation of residence, rented ice huts are NOT. Maybe "up north" things are done different, but the rules are still the same. Look under the LLA.

it is interesting how often i have this discussion with boaters and fisherman. put the liquor licence act into the search engine and read the section regarding watercraft. it is prohibited to convey alcohol on a boat with the following two exceptions, blah blah blah. print it off and laminate and keep it in your boat so when some OPP dude gives you his interpretation you can discuss the real thing. perhaps not by coincidence, i haven't been too popular with the officers that stopped me.

the answers are out there, why not go to the source to know for sure!