Canon Rebel XSi or Nikon D3000

Pigeontroller

have not used either camera, but i did a quick search on google and there are alot of comparison articles/forum topics you can look at. From the general consensus seems like the main differences in terms of features are:

1) Xsi 12MP vs D3000 10MP

2) Xsi has liveview and D3000 doesn't

Good luck! You might get real good deals on boxing day but if you really need it for xmas you don't have a choice i guess

I'm a big Nikon DSLR fan, so I'm really bias!! kenrockwell.com will have a thorough review of both cameras. dpreview.com is another good digi-cam site to look at.

The difference b/t 10 and 12 MP's is negligible. From what I understand, MP's is only one part of the 'big picture' of what makes a camera take good photo's.

keep in mind ...that if you owned either of the SLRs before you may want to stick to that brand as you can use all your other lenses ...and that alone is the huge cost of any camera outfit...that is the defining factor for me ...so im going to stick with Nikon and go with the D90...

Good luck on your choice...

Don't get caught up with the MP war. No matter which camera or brand you choose. Either way they are both pretty decent cameras. She will have a learning curve that she will need to overcome. Remember these are not point and shoot cameras, you will take many decent photos and many bad photos when you start. Once you learn the techniques that's when you start making good pictures.

FYI... lens are not cheap so be prepared to shell out some big bucks if she want those for future gifts.

i dont know anything much about cameras...but i broke an expensive (ish) point and shoot last year that was 7.2 Mp, i replaced it with a very cheap point and shoot that is 10Mp.....the loder 7.2 Mp camera took awesome ,crisp, fantasticly hidefinition pictures...the newer 10mp sucks to be quite honest....SO MP MEANS SQUAT!

MPS are very important when it comes to printing the images, but as far as anything else is concerned it really isnt all that important

I prefer my Canon over Nikon solely cause of the range of glass available, also I am familiar with canon as well and did not feel like learning a new product... Again it is more to do with the shooter than the camera, but the rebel line seems alot more intuitive and easier to navigate..Just my opinion though

I know , my wife is hoping to get a 100mm x400mm lense for her Rebel xsi = $ 1600.00 :o:o:wacko::wacko:

Do you know how many lures i can buy with $ 1600.00 dollars.... :whistling::whistling:

.. but just think aboot how much money you're saving by driving a Pontiac Sunbird!

.. btw, dat whitespinnerbait boy does good with that Rebel!!!

i dont know anything much about cameras...but i broke an expensive (ish) point and shoot last year that was 7.2 Mp, i replaced it with a very cheap point and shoot that is 10Mp.....the loder 7.2 Mp camera took awesome ,crisp, fantasticly hidefinition pictures...the newer 10mp sucks to be quite honest....SO MP MEANS SQUAT!

It may be a weak link between the viewfinder and shutter button Simon... I know I have one! ;)

I've been using the Rebel for a few years now - two different versions. I have the XS right now and I am really happy with it. You cant go wrong with either, but I've always loved my Canon cameras, and I've owned 5 different ones.

If you have any questions about the Rebel, or want to see some of the photos I've taken with it, lemme know.

Edited by mepps

I know , my wife is hoping to get a 100mm x400mm lense for her Rebel xsi = $ 1600.00 :o:o:wacko::wacko:

Do you know how many lures i can buy with $ 1600.00 dollars.... :whistling::whistling:

If you purchase a tele-converter that will double the power of any lens you twist on ...saving you Big Money on the telephoto lenses...when i first got into photography i bought a nikkor 75mm- 150mm and a teleconverter ...giving me 150mm-300mm without breaking the bank

If you purchase a tele-converter that will double the power of any lens you twist on ...saving you Big Money on the telephoto lenses...when i first got into photography i bought a nikkor 75mm- 150mm and a teleconverter ...giving me 150mm-300mm without breaking the bank

... but have you bought the Sony data transfer cable ($8.95) for your camera yet.. instead of the $150 card reader???

We're still waiting for those pics from back in the Fall yanno!

... but have you bought the Sony data transfer cable ($8.95) for your camera yet.. instead of the $150 card reader???

We're still waiting for those pics from back in the Fall yanno!

lol...i went to wally mart to get the cable you suggested and sure as poop flows through a goose...they didnt have any but .....the kid has returned home several times from school since then and brought back the card reader...now ...all i have to do is remember what pics you wanted to see... :huh: