One species for the rest of your days.

Kinger

My favorite species to target would be speckle trout...... but I have to be realistic, only can fish for them from April to September. It's the most beautiful fresh water fish I've ever seen, hard to catch and puts up a great fight.

On the other hand, bass & pike are plentiful up here, so is walleye..... can fish for bass from mid June to end of March..... pike & walleye from mid May to end of March. I mostly practice CPR but like to keep walleyes for a fry.

So to answer your question.... walleyes is the species I could target for the rest of my days B):D Good eats and fun to catch!!!

Leechman

At this stage of my life I'm going to say carp mainly because, as much as I enjoy fishing for most species, I can't stand and cast for more than 10 minutes or my back starts to get "ouchy" (don't get old...it hurts too much :( )...The same out in the "Tin"...4 hours of sitting in her and bouncing around on the waves does me in...

With carp fishing, once you get the area chummed and your equipment set-up there is not much more to do but sit back and relax with your friends and wait for old bugle-mouth to pull on your string...

The4Amigos_2.jpg

Granted it can get quite strenuous hauling in those twenty plus big boys but it is a nice kind of hurt... :clapping:

FishOn02.jpg

Pike and specks are pretty much year round fish, and if I was still living in the north they'd be equals. Now that I'm in the south and have more opportunities for specks, I imagine they will solely take the #1 spot.

Like others have said... it's real hard to pick one... cause jiggin' walleyes are a tonne of fun too.

Nipigon09-BIGWIG-18-7.jpg

Spring09-85.jpg

Kesagami09-51-1.jpg

may-open08-84.jpg

Bill...

Have you ever had a multiple trophy pike day through 40 inches of ice, or... on the river?

I hear ya with specks dood. So pretty, so tough, so rare, so special. With big esoxes... so nasty, so toothy, so wily, so special.

So hard to choose some days. All depends on moods and seasons. But, if I lived next to the Tree... I'd take char over anything. lol. So depends on the circumstances too I guess.

Has to be steehead...my reasoning being which fish would I miss the most if I couldn't fish for them!! Nothing more exciting than seeing that initial leap as you set the hook on a fresh "chromer"!!!!!! Also, can fish for them pretty much year round being close to Lake Erie.

I made that choice 58 years ago when my uncle introduced me to St. Lawrence walleye at the age of 8. Been chasing them all over North America since.

Earlier in this thread Craig Ritchie said it best - this is one fish where everything works.

With the exception of brookies virtually every other specie caught was incidental to fishing for walleye.

As lame as it sounds, probably Pike. There is no way I could get stuck fishing with 1 method all year like jigging for walleye or float fishing. With pike you can have fun with topwater, crankbaits, jigs, ice fishing, etc. Also, if you take some time to prepare them they are good eatin' too.

Absolutely nothing wrong with pike. They are an insanely respectable fish and great table fare like you said.

Perhaps its the ease of catch and not the greatest fighting spirits in a lot of cases that tends to have em' rank lower than more popular gamefish.