NEW FISHING REGULATIONS FOR FMZ 17!

Ron

I hear ya, hopefully not the case.

Plus they threw in a few pictures of ice fshing, so here's hoping!

There are a few lakes I would love to fish crappie through the ice.

Edited by Harrison

The only exceptions in zone 17 will be the protected slot on Balsam and Mitchell. Yes we are open for ice fishing in all of zone 17 now!

That is good to hear! I just hope that the people that are NEW to ice fishing remember to clean up when they get off the ice...

I think it is a big mistake to allow ice fishing at Rice Lake. In my opinion, the fish populations have been declining their and not improving. I also think they got too strict with the limits on the conservation license. Sure hope they know what they are doing, because up until now, they have basically ignored the declining walleye population, smaller perch sizes, etc......

The harvest slot is different but it should result in anglers catching more fish by protecting the large females and the average Kawartha walleye is about 17 inches, inside the slot.

These announcements are official. This is what is coming as of Jan. 1 2010.

Get out and enjoy your new angling oppourtunities.

I would like to thank everyone involved in the Fishery Management council, public information sessions, surveys, and the MNR staff. This is a huge accomplishment. It will represent millions of angling tourism dollars for the zone and probably the most significant increase in angling oppourtunities for the province in years.

Now everyone pick a spot and get ready for Jan. 1, 2010.

Mike

I think anglers will still go to scugog for the walleye, since they are closed in the other lakes.

I sure hope you are right...from chatting with one of our local bait and tackle shop owners he told me the locals can't wait to catch pickerel thru the ice up our way...Tri-Lakes and Sturgeon...JERKS !!!

BTW...Thanks for posting Ron...been waiting to hear this news... :Gonefishing:

Edited by Beans

This is great news...greater protection for populations of Walleye and Muskie and increased angling opportunities for Pike and panfish through the ice.

Well done Ron et al who had a large part in the consultation process for Zone 17 :)

Tony

As a follow-up:

Anglers welcome winter fishing opportunities in F.M.Z. 17

http://www.ofah.org/News/index.cfm?ID=3&am...Doc&DID=494

As well information on registering your huts for the FMZ 17

http://www.ofah.org/fishresources/index.cfm?ID=37

Great to see that hard work pays off....the news is exciting around our office and I think I have a few new items for my Christmas list.

As for the walleye in Rice Lake hopefully by opening the panfish up will help the population to rebound.

Now all we need is a cold winter :D

I sure hope you are right...from chatting with one of our local bait and tackle shop owners he told me the locals can't wait to catch pickerel thru the ice up our way...Tri-Lakes and Sturgeon...JERKS !!!

BTW...Thanks for posting Ron...been waiting to hear this news... :Gonefishing:

I heard that also, carry the TIPS phone number around with you when you're out there.

I doubt we can ice fish walleye in scugog.

that's actually an interesting thought... it's been open for walleye forever... LOL... will it be closed now???

my assumption is that it will be an exception in the regs... likely the same slot for the rest of the kawarthas... but will be open from Jan 1st to last day of Feb. but i guess crappie will still be open (open year round)... maybe??? i'd like to get a copy of the new regs before Jan 1st just so i can see the exceptions for Zone 17.

If I understand correctly, come 2010, Carp would also become open year round too, right?

I haven't read anything to confirm this in the literature released so far but I sure hope so...

Might have to give the MNR office in P'boro a phone call....