Sturgeon lake is on fire

Big Cliff

Apparently it has been burning for several hours now, it is an area of cat tails that is several hundred acers. Who and why would someone do something like this, perhaps someone wanted to destroy the duck blinds that are down there but what is it going to do to the fish habitat. At least there are no homes in danger, it is surounded by water.

gallery_415_187_12757.jpg

Edited by Big Cliff

Guest skeeter99
Apparently it has been burning for several hours now, it is an area of cat tails that is several hundred acers. Who and why would someone do something like this, perhaps someone wanted to destroy the duck blinds that are down there but what is it going to do to the fish habitat. At least there are no homes in danger, it is surounded by water.

gallery_415_187_12757.jpg

It could have been from a hot shell landing on dry cattails

would not worry about the fish habitat

after the fire it will actually grow in better next year!!!

Edited by skeeter99

Holy crap!!!! That really sucks!!!!!!! I can't believe that..........could you take a pic in day light for me........maybe from the road on top of the hill looking out over the lake?? That's crazy!! I'm assuming its the piece on the west side of the river channel? Must look awful!!

S.

Edited by Sinker

I was going by on 35 South from the Fenlon Falls area to Durham around 3 PM today and I could see the smoke for miles. I called my folks to tell them to watch the local news to see what had happened. Later I found out that my email to Bigcliff bidn't get to him while en route home (but no way I emailed while driving due to the new law's.. ;)). That does make sense now to why there was a lot less OPP and other coppers on the Rd. today... I hope all is well out there and yes; fire = new life in the eco world.

I could see the cameras flashing from the other side of the lake. Quite the photo you got shown here from that other side.Check out my blog with photos from this side the fire was on.http://www.uxcritters.blogspot.comif this forum doesn't allow live links you can find my blog in google search with uxcritters*update ~ I have just returned from surveying the damage and happy days the cottages are still there! I really thought the cottages were destroyed by the fire. I was with the residents last night as they wept over the thoughts of them being destroyed. From our perspective and the extent of the black smoke it was almost a sure thing the "Fisherman's Cove" cottage was no longer. I figured we'd have all the wildlife up at our houses asking to spend the night last night. It looks like the fire is out this morning. But it sure did burn a long time into the night. Almost midnight or so before it went out.~ Ux

Edited by critternut

Howdy folks,

I was at the fire first yesterday, at least in terms of being on the water beside it. I had fished completely around the reed island at 1:30pm, and headed south down the channel towards Alpine. After marking no fish, I sped up to the other end of the channel (by Snug Harbor) and proceeded to troll my way back towards the island. By the time I'd gotten turned around, it was already ablaze. I didn't pass anyone on my way out into the main lake, and there were no gun shots or decoys visible. I called 911 at 2:30pm to give them a first hand view of the fire.

The fire started ~100yds in from the southern tip of the island (beside Green Island) and some 50' in from the water's edge. To me this totally precludes human action at the scene (the duck blinds are all on the water's edge.) As I was heading out to the main lake, I noticed a (possibly leaf) fire somewhere near Fish-n-Rest.

I picked up two Firefighters at the dock south of Lungehaven and took them out for a tour of the island. We did a complete 360 around it at ~3:30pm. They concluded there was nothing they could do about it, and that nothing was in danger (other than the 6 blinds we saw, and the trees on the island itself of course.)

Came home (I live in Goose Bay near Ken Reid Park) and sat and watched the fire in awe as it surged over and over again until ~10:00pm. By 11:00pm, there were no visible signs of fire. This morning there isn't even any smoke. I had thought it might burn for days...

While the Firefighters wouldn't say conclusively, we all agreed it was likely the result of a leaf fire that had blown lit leaves up into the air and over to the island.

FWIW, while fishing on the main lake trolling towards the island, I ran into a snowfall of ashes more than 1km away from the end of the island...shows you how far that stuff can travel with very little wind.

Cheers,

Russ

Sorry Sinker, When I leave in the morning it is still dark and when I get back at night it is dark. From what I understand there may be something on CHEX news tonight about it.

Russ, I think your idea makes sense, could have easily been started by a few errent leaves on fire. Glad you were there to help and lend a hand when needed. BTW, if you ever have a problem on the water, my number is 328-0577 and I am just 4 doors West of the Moorings Marina. Grey boat house, maroon door. Welcome to the board!

Most importand no one got hurt and from what I understand no buildings were damaged.

Edited by Big Cliff

You have to wonder how that effected the wildlife in the area......mainly the ducks?? Crazy stuff for sure.

No worries about the pics Cliff, I'm going to go up there wed and take a look from the boat. I'll take some pics and update this thread.

S.

BillM, no, no fish. I spoke to a couple of other folks (before the fire) who also weren't getting anything (between Lungehaven and the old bridge). I spoke to someone on a Crestliner during the fire who had caught a Muskie up towards Big Cliff's place (near the channel to Fenlon Falls) and a small pickerel, but in general my guess was that the water was too cold (42F) and too clear. Normally I don't have to leave my bay (behind Green Island) to get my fill...

Big Cliff, thanks!! You're in my BB now...;-] Make sure you shout out to me if you see me going by in my Bennington Pontoon, I'm hard to miss...4 Captain's chairs on the front half of the deck...;-] If you ever want to fish for Largemouth where Bob Izumi does...give me a shout at 878-3405 and I'll show you the way through the stumps...;-] For anyone who already fishes in Goose Bay, I'm the big cedar house where you turn out into the bay from the shoreline (the dock on the point) with all the dahlias when in season and the four dogs that race out and bark their heads off at you as you go by....;-]

To confirm, nobody was hurt, and no buildings other than blinds were damaged. I haven't been back out to see whether the blinds survived or not, but I assume that at least a few of the flare-ups were probably blinds going. I'm more curious to see whether any of the bigger stumps have been burnt, as they've always been good for a 5+ pounder Largemouth.

Sinker, I don't really think it had any effect on wildlife. I will admit, I'm not a duck hunter so I could be wrong, but the ducks don't generally roost out there on land as it was pretty dense. Red Wing Blackbirds did live there in season, but they've long since moved on. We might have been lucky and convinced a Cormoran or two to leave....;-] A lone Trumpeter Swan was on the bay on Saturday, en-route to the Pickering Hydro plant, but I didn't see him at all on Sunday. Since, as I said, there wasn't anything biting all the way around the island an hour before the fire (at least not biting my line) I doubt there were many fish nearby...

Thanks for all the welcomes folks! Only 6 days left...good luck to all!

Cheers,

Russ