NF - Speeding Ticket...

Hey guys - sorry bout the NF thread.... I know we have a few officers on here.

Short version - I was in a bit of a hurry to get 3 hours away from my house for a quick shoot for work, then make the 3 hour drive back home before Averie blew out her candles for her third birthday. I MADE IT, but was burnt for speeding on the 407!

The officer was a cool guy, told me to keep it around 120 and I'd be ok. lol I was driving the same speed as everybody around me, but he said they picked me out of the crowd because I have a bright yellow SUV... lol

Anyways, he told me to take it to court, and in a year from now he'd "help me out" and the ticket would be dropped to 15 over.

I just don't know if I'm supposed to:

a) Plead guilty but appear in court

B) Plead NOT-guilty and appear in court.

Any help would be great!

Thanks OFC!

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

I got a court date next Tuesday for fighting one. :dunno:

Always plead not guilty, I don't care about the $100 but I don't want to lose 3 demerit pts and the only way to get em is to fight for them. There's also a chance the cop won't show. In that event case dismissed (I'm crossing my fingers lol).

If he wanted to "help you out", why didn't he just write you up for 15 over on the spot, instead of making you take a day off of work and deal with the whole hassle of court? It seems like a waste of your's, his and the court's time to have you show up if you'll end up with 15 over anyway. If he'd have given you a ticket for 15 over, you'd probably just pay it and that would be that.

Also, you were going with "the flow of traffic" and he admitted it. What can be gained by singling out a driver who is not doing anything out of the ordinary? Without a doubt, a greater safety hazzard was created by having you pull over to the side of the 407 with high-speed traffic whizzing by, than getting one guy to slow down more than those around him.

If you really were going with the flow of traffic and the cop stated so, plead "not guilty", because you didn't do anything wrong. Any judge with half a brain will see this. Good luck.

No option for "got caught speeding, pay the fine, great learning experience!" ;)

Sorry, not the option that I'm interested in....

I don't blame a cop for pulling me over, they're just doing their job and I have a huge amount of respect for them - but the fact of the matter is, he told me to do this, and if it's going to help me save a few bucks on the ticket, as well as on insurance then I'm taking it to court. Learning experience, you bet - he told me if I keep it under 120, I'm good to go - which is normally the fastest I drive, so no worries here.

Cheers,

Ryan

Plead not guilty, as the court does not have the right to lower points as the MTO sets the points and once you plead guilty they can only plaay with the fine portion.

FLEX

cool - thanks.

I got a court date next Tuesday for fighting one. :dunno:

Always plead not guilty, I don't care about the $100 but I don't want to lose 3 demerit pts and the only way to get em is to fight for them. There's also a chance the cop won't show. In that event case dismissed (I'm crossing my fingers lol).

Good Luck - my fine was $265.00 my wife wasn't to stoked about that... thus taking it to court.

by him saying "I'll help you out" It probably means that he will not show. Plead not guilty and it will get thrown out

yepp - time will tell I guess..

If he wanted to "help you out", why didn't he just write you up for 15 over on the spot, instead of making you take a day off of work and deal with the whole hassle of court? It seems like a waste of your's, his and the court's time to have you show up if you'll end up with 15 over anyway. If he'd have given you a ticket for 15 over, you'd probably just pay it and that would be that.

Also, you were going with "the flow of traffic" and he admitted it. What can be gained by singling out a driver who is not doing anything out of the ordinary? Without a doubt, a greater safety hazzard was created by having you pull over to the side of the 407 with high-speed traffic whizzing by, than getting one guy to slow down more than those around him.

If you really were going with the flow of traffic and the cop stated so, plead "not guilty", because you didn't do anything wrong. Any judge with half a brain will see this. Good luck.

He said I was lazered so he couldn't take it off himself, so to take it to court and he'd help me out... :dunno:

by him saying "I'll help you out" It probably means that he will not show. Plead not guilty and it will get thrown out

I Agree with this statement,

Just cross your fingers and hope the officer doesn't forget about your conversation.

But then again...even if he does forget the deal, its not as if you have anything to loose at this point by pleading not guilty right ;)

I can't see how pleading not guilty, going to court and effectively admitting your guilt by saying you were "going with the traffic" is going to help you get a reduced fine (as a minimum you'll end up woth court costs etc. on top if you're found guilty, won't you??), nor can I see how the officer in question is going to 'help you out' now he's written the ticket for over 120, he's not going to admit any possible inaccuracies in their readings and it's part of his job to go to court when he's written the ticket, so I wouldn't bank on him not showing up although I guess he may have decided to quit so knows he won't be around in 12 months????? :)

I don't like your chances but good luck!

I can't see how pleading not guilty, going to court and effectively admitting your guilt by saying you were "going with the traffic" is going to help you get a reduced fine (as a minimum you'll end up woth court costs etc. on top if you're found guilty, won't you??), nor can I see how the officer in question is going to 'help you out' now he's written the ticket for over 120, he's not going to admit any possible inaccuracies in their readings and it's part of his job to go to court when he's written the ticket, so I wouldn't bank on him not showing up although I guess he may have decided to quit so knows he won't be around in 12 months????? :)

I don't like your chances but good luck!

Uh, the Crown will plead the ticket down to probably 15 over and no points. If the officer has no objections (this is what the officer was talking about)

ALWAYS take your tickets to court....

cool - thanks.

Good Luck - my fine was $265.00 my wife wasn't to stoked about that... thus taking it to court.

yepp - time will tell I guess..

He said I was lazered so he couldn't take it off himself, so to take it to court and he'd help me out... :dunno:

Yea that's pretty high, it's because on the highway you were obviously movin' pretty fast. Mine was a stinkin' 103 in an 80 on hwy 11 and wouldn't lower it to 15 over.

Mind you I've been in your position as well with a $285 one for 93 in a 60 through collingwood and it gone thrown out because the cop didn't file the ticket lol.

Edited by Governator

Uh, the Crown will plead the ticket down to probably 15 over and no points. If the officer has no objections (this is what the officer was talking about)

ALWAYS take your tickets to court....

What a terribly nice system - you get a lower fine and no points by going to court to argue about it!!! :)

My only knowledge of speeding tickets is from the uk where you get 3 points and £60 as standard and if you take it to court and lose you still get the 3 points but you get a £1000 fine for your trouble too :angry: I assumed that taking it court for the sake of it would be treated the same here - another plus point for Canada!!! :D

What a terribly nice system - you get a lower fine and no points by going to court to argue about it!!! :)

My only knowledge of speeding tickets is from the uk where you get 3 points and £60 as standard and if you take it to court and lose you still get the 3 points but you get a £1000 fine for your trouble too :angry: I assumed that taking it court for the sake of it would be treated the same here - another plus point for Canada!!! :D

Be glad we don't live in the UK :)

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think that demerit points are added onto your license not taken away and when you reach 9 you get a written warning.

At 15 you have to go and see someone who will whack your pee pee hard!

Also, if the cop gave out a bunch of tickets that same day, he has to show up to court to be present for all those tickets.

The chances of him not showing nowadays is pretty slim. IMHO

I don't go any more than 20 over and haven't had a ticket in 15 years. (touch wood)

Good Luck all the same.

That may be a bit of a stretch, so you can speed as along as you can find a few buddies to speed with you......... I would like to be in court that day to witness that defense!

Take it to court, if the ticket is more than twice what you make in a day (silly to go for $10, and they will not make it go away totally) then always take it to court. As others have said the crown WILL plead it down for you.

THEN - set the cruise at 119!

I've been told to appear before (I thought it was a chicane, but it was really only an S turn), and the deal went down with a command to shut up and plead guilty to a lesser offence. 15 over, no points. 1 month to pay the fine.

Easy peasy (for our pommy friends).

Short version - I was in a bit of a hurry to get 3 hours away from my house for a quick shoot for work, then make the 3 hour drive back home before Averie blew out her candles for her third birthday. I MADE IT, but was burnt for speeding on the 407!

The officer was a cool guy, told me to keep it around 120 and I'd be ok. lol I was driving the same speed as everybody around me, but he said they picked me out of the crowd because I have a bright yellow SUV... lol

Anyways, he told me to take it to court, and in a year from now he'd "help me out" and the ticket would be dropped to 15 over.

Any help would be great!

Thanks OFC!

Cheers,

Ryan

As crazy as it sounds, check the spelling of your name and any other salient details. If he got anything wrong it should be tossed. Mebbe he was giving you a headsup to read the paperwork.

JF

Any help would be great!

Thanks OFC!

Cheers,

Ryan

Set a court date and speak with the Crown. It'll be dropped to 15 over

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think that demerit points are added onto your license not taken away and when you reach 9 you get a written warning.

At 15 you have to go and see someone who will whack your pee pee hard!

Also, if the cop gave out a bunch of tickets that same day, he has to show up to court to be present for all those tickets.

The chances of him not showing nowadays is pretty slim. IMHO

I don't go any more than 20 over and haven't had a ticket in 15 years. (touch wood)

Good Luck all the same.

no....

6 you have a written warning or come to the Justice of the Peace to say why you shouldn't be suspended

10 and you can kiss your licence goodbye