My Winter Garden!

Greencoachdog

I planted my Cole crop garden from seed back in August, and today it was time for the first thinning!

Our summers are way too hot to grow cole crop vegetables, you can plant them in early spring... but the heat comes on so fast, they tend to bolt before being mature enough to harvest.

Fall is prime time for Cole crop veggies down here, most will grow all winter long and into the spring!

This year I planted Broccoli, Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Lettuce, and Onions!

The garden:

Broccoli before thinning:

Broccoli after thinning:

I had intended on thinning everything today, but I got so much Broccoli Greens... I'll have to wait until tomorrow to thin some other stuff!

Yes!... I eat Broccoli leaves!!!

Here they are in the pot with a nice smoky ham hock nestled amongst them!!! :P

The rest of the garden:

The Mustard Greens!

The Collard Greens!

The Lettuce!

The lettuce and onions are looking a little wimpy right now, but with some cooler temps and another shot of fertilizer... they'll perk right up!!!

If I made anyone hurl in the back of their mouth a little... you shouldn't have looked! ;)

Edited by GCD

Looking good there G. :thumbsup_anim:

Glad you're having success in the garden department!!!

I'm almost all packed up and ready to go.... tomorrow is a new beginning for my brother and I..... just can't wait to leave for the bush

Take care my friend.... will talk mid November ;)

Jacques

The lettuce and onions are looking a little wimpy right now, but with some cooler temps and another shot of fertilizer... they'll perk right up!!!

Dawg what varieties of lettuce and onions do you grow? More specifically are they day neutral specific to your region? I have a big veggie patch and studied it quite a bit when I first got into it....over 20 years ago. Some varieties that do well up here don't do well down there...and vice a versa...because they are breed specifically to do well in particular regions according to temperatures of course...but also day length. Most local nurseries don't have a clue about such things and if you don't either you could be getting the "wrong" seeds/seedlings.

One of my favourite things in the world is tilling my garden for the first time in the spring. The smell of the fresh earth and the sounds of the robins and other birds chirping and flapping around my hedge on a beautiful spring day.

I'd love to be able to putter around out there all year. I envy you for that.

BTW did my final tilling Oct 14th to put my garden to bed for the winter.

Thx for the post...but your killing me :angry:

I've still got lots of beets and carrots to pick. Even some peppers yet. Still selling field tomatoes at market.

Yes I love veggies. We had corn, chard and cauliflower with our goose breasts tonight.

Your killing me too Bruce!!!! Being down the road a little bit from me I know you get a 2 week jump start on me in the spring...give or take...and a 2 week extension in the fall as well.

BTW just finished your salsa last night. And my son said to me yesterday. "Your buddy sure packed the dills in this jar...it's work to get one out!"

Side bar....everything goes with breasts...everything :whistling:

hmm... still gotta till my stuff up. my garden wasnt the greatest this year. the carrots which is mostly what i wanted got eatin up by wroms. got tons of big 'taters. watermelon didnt grow. neither did my honey dew melon. got lots of beans and beats. peas too. corn didnt grow all that well but still tasted fantastic. got some nice strawberries and raspberries. onions didnt take too well. got SOME ripe tomatoes and the rest just rotted away. and finally, got some great cucmbers, and so many of them the little ones were turned into pickles.

Edited by bigredneck

hmm... still gotta till my stuff up. my garden wasnt the greatest this year. the carrots which is mostly what i wanted got eatin up by wroms. got tons of big 'taters. watermelon didnt grow. neither did my honey dew melon. got lots of beans and beats. peas too. corn didnt grow all that well but still tasted fantastic. got some nice strawberries and raspberries. onions didnt take too well. got SOME ripe tomatoes and the rest just rotted away. and finally, got some great cucmbers, and so many of them the little ones were turned into pickles.

The wet summer and cool temps made for a tough year. Root crops and spring veggies loved it. We had fresh peas at market into the middle of July; a full month longer. Blight was a serious problem with tomatoes. Corn not as sweet and susceptible to smut. Too cool for melons this summer.

Any time night temps dip below 50 F., growth cycles stall. So many vegetables never got really eatblished until July or later. Making a very short growing season. I only till patches I sow before winter, ie, garlic.

Dawg what varieties of lettuce and onions do you grow? More specifically are they day neutral specific to your region? I have a big veggie patch and studied it quite a bit when I first got into it....over 20 years ago. Some varieties that do well up here don't do well down there...and vice a versa...because they are breed specifically to do well in particular regions according to temperatures of course...but also day length. Most local nurseries don't have a clue about such things and if you don't either you could be getting the "wrong" seeds/seedlings.

One of my favourite things in the world is tilling my garden for the first time in the spring. The smell of the fresh earth and the sounds of the robins and other birds chirping and flapping around my hedge on a beautiful spring day.

I'd love to be able to putter around out there all year. I envy you for that.

BTW did my final tilling Oct 14th to put my garden to bed for the winter.

Thx for the post...but your killing me :angry:

The onions are "Texas Sweets", I prefer Vidalias... but you can't get those around here anymore, it seems Georgia is stingy and won't let them out of the state anymore!

The lettuce is Black Seeded Simpson", it's a leaf lettuce that does well in these parts!

Hey G

How are collared greens eaten?

Its something you dont see up here, what do they taste like?

Darren

Simmered with some kind of pork (hence the han hock) for 3-5 hours... it may make your house smell like a Paper Mill, but they sho am sweet when completely cooked!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Nice lookin greens there Dawg, but wheres the good stuff?? :whistling::dunno::P

Go looking around in the Kudzu patch! ;)

Beet tops.Nothing better. Well Swiss chard is so goooooooood.

I can send you some collard seeds if you'd like to try the exotic stuff!!!

What, no brussel sprouts? :blink:

I've grown those before! They're kind of a pain though, they take up a lot of room and take a long time to start producing and you have to have quite a few plants to get a mess of them every time you pick.

Before I grew them for the first time, I always figured they grew on the ground like little cabbages :rolleyes:

Can you grow Poutine

I didn't plant any this year, but I see them growing out in the cow pasture all the time... about the size of a dinner plate and round, brown in color and laying on the ground. :P