GPS Advice?

douG

I have the base model GPSMap 76 and I'm impressed with it. Good battery life, easy to use, nice size screen and the only gripe would be needing an external antenna for in-vehicle use. The antenna issue might be commen amongst all hand helds, dunno, this is my first. If I place it on the dash with a view through the windshield it's fine but I have to pick it up to read it.

As I understand it, the CSX is colour with more memory and some nifty extra features.

-Brian

Doug I got the Lowrance H20c (handheld) last year with the 6 CD Mapcreate Cdn Topo map and a 1gig mem card ... I absolutely LOVE it every road and every pond show up on the maps ... very accurate and water 'resistant' .. supposedly even floats - though I havent tested that part ... sorry I have no info on the unit you described but if you're looking at options consider this one ... you can download your maps from anywhere in Canada ... only thing I am waiting for is better marine charts to come out (supposedly this year)

Edited by camillj

Same as slowpoke, my bud owns the Map76(I own the GPS V), and that is about the only gripe he has(mine has the removable antenna, which is why I bought it, made a cable up for it at work).

We don't use ours for marine use though, only land. We do have them with us during our fishing exploits, but not for hydrographic purposes.

I love the track log, lots of new roads and trails up here, set it to record, and download when I get home. Make my own maps up now with the roads and trails on them.

Hey douG, I went to TigerDirect.ca and .com and could not find it, was it an instore special? If so that is a very good price over 450usd. I have a Garmin Etrex which I like but I would like to get the colour version. I have the maps with mine and find Garmin's support to be very good, (even gave me a free software upgrade) Hope it helps you a little.

Rob C

I bought the garmin vistac and I should have bought the one your looking at, everytime at the front of the boat I keep thinking I am going to drop it over the side. The floating version would have been worth the extra money. and at $375 that is a really good price.

I have been thinking of purchasing a Garmin Map76Cx because I have heard nothing but great reviews about them.

The price you quoted for the Map76 CSx ($375) is the best that I have seen so far. Radio World and Durham Radio both have them on for $449 Canadian.

I don't think you can go wrong with the purchase of the Map76CSx.

Tom

Edit: Forgot to include "great" reviews.

Edited by TomD

I have the 60CSX, basically the same unit, but different casing because the 76CSX floats. You'll love it, best investment for any outdoors enthusiast. You'll be able to get reception even in your basement. And the geocaching features will bring you to an all new world of outdoors.