Lots of bears

misfish

There are a few up around the cottage between MacTier and Parry sound. What bothers me the most is they are not spooked in the least. Actually climbed over the hood of a buddies new Z71 to get to garbage in the box, scratched it up pretty good couple w/e ago.

I have 2 young children and wicked aim.

Edited by Harrison

There are a few up around the cottage between MacTier and Parry sound. What bothers me the most is they are not spooked in the least. Actually climbed over the hood of a buddies new Z71 to get to garbage in the box, scratched it up pretty good couple w/e ago.

I have 2 young children and wicked aim.

A little bit of spring hunting and this would all be under control again.

There is no way that will happen because we would get to say..."I told you so"

Edited by Dara

What bothers me the most is they are not spooked in the least.

Turkey hunting this spring, I saw more bears and coyotes then I did Turkeys!

And the bears where very bold. They would keep approaching me even after I stood up, waved my arms and made noise. So I let the 12 gauge make some noise! It’s a little louder than me ;)

I think I’m going to get a bear tag this year, and go target them. I’ve only eaten bear once, in the form of sausage, and I really enjoyed it.

I like bear meat....sausages made with 50% pork are the best sausages and burgers i have ever had. I will never shoot a mama that has cubs will wait a while to make sure no stragglers come with her!...mmmm...this thread has got me hungry!

The good thing about the spring bear hunt being cancelled, if there is a positive to it, is that the fall bear hunt, there is a 100% success rate!

And if i ever had a bear in the yard and they have come close...its only a matter of time before this will happen...call bear line...tell them there is a bear in the yard.....call police....tell them there is a dead bear in my yard!

Anders, have they been a problem around your place this year? This spring through summer in the park I saw more and had more bear encounters than I ever had. There was a big bodied adolescent hanging around the Mij parking lot for a while....made the walk from the truck to the dock interesting.

There are alot of anecdotal population measurments going on with the MNR but no intense mark recapture work occuring that I know of (maybe algonquin still???) Must not be really high on the priority scale. Lots of Forest Management Plans coming up for renewal in the northern region lately.

Jay, there are a lot of bears up here again this year...not uncommon to go fishing anywhere in the area and run into bears...i have seen 3 different sets of sows with cubs up here. At night in town it can get a little nerving. The deal at home is if i want to go fishing fine...but i have to take the dog for a walk when i get home...not a problem, only thing is its dark. WHen we walk...you can hear dogs in the distance just barking to wake the neighbourhood! Then the dog is always growling and acting weird...yeah...there are lots....town police already bagged a few of them this year

nother factor to consider is our increasing population and steady encroachment on limited natural spaces. This is not a simple problem with a simple solution.

I'd agree with you urban sprawl is an issue for sure, and I for one would love to see cities capped in growth.

But a Spring hunt would be a great tool that once worked to help control the bear populations.

Its also a very easy and tangeble step to take, so it make sense to get the ball rolling.

As far as odditys with regards to sprawl related sightings go... Fergus, Elora, Kitchener, Angcaster, London...all areas not known to have bears yet now we do?

I can't say with certainty that it is related to the cancelation as opposed to the sprawl...maybe a bit of both?

But our brothers to the north are getting inindated for no good reason other then a canceled hunt....

There is little to no urban sprawl in a little sleepy town like earlton Ontario yet they now see twice the bear encounters.

Could be the southern sprawl puching them north, but I'd bet the farm the bigger contributor is the lack of population control(ie. the hunt)

Has the surrounding 500 to 1000 square kilometres of bush near your dad's place experienced any development besides the 5-6 homes?

I did not intend for my comment to be construed as a tree hugger's perspective, or to suggest that what they say is best. My comment was more about our increasing footprint as a whole, not about individual encounters. There will always be unwelcome encounters with bears. What is an "acceptable" number??? I don't know. :dunno:

Shooting this year's "problem bears" does not fix the problem because next year, another bear will take this year's bear's place if the larger issue is not addressed.

This is about wildlife populations that don't know municipal or properties boundaries from raspberries. As well as dumb :asshat: politicians that make many of their decisions based on votes and dollars, not science, because we continue to let them.

They are putting in the new hwy. But that would not push them,as it,s not really taken alot of land.

I did not take your comment, to be construd Rob. Good response.

Yes there is alot of developing going on everywhere. Yes maybe the bears get pushed to different locations,have cubs,then more developing,move again,creating bigger numbers in smaller places for them. More sightings.

Still like some have said,they will and do get nervy and sooner or later,there will be a mauling,then an out cry to kill the bears.

but I'd bet the farm the bigger contributor is the lack of population control(ie. the hunt)

If I had a farm,I would bet it too.