Restoration time again

Bernie

I have been looking for an old cedar boat made by my family for a while.

Opportunity knocked and a very old one came my way. It's a 16ft Powassan special. Really, that's what it's called :rolleyes: .

I talked to my uncle Pete yesterday who has a very good memory about most everything. I described the boat to him and he figures the boat is minimum 55 years old.

The reason he knows this is that they stopped installing wood deck bands in 1955.

The boat is in restorative condition and won't take a whole lot of repair, just lots of elbow grease. Next summer project.

The bottom has been fiberglass coated at some time in it's life and doesn't allow a leak. The water in the boat is from sitting outside for a few weeks.

I dug out a 5HP Viking I fixed up several years ago but never used it. It pushes it along but won't plane, so a larger HP will get put on next week.

I would like to find a 1958 Johnson 10 or 15HP. I think it would suit the boat best. There may be one kicking around somewhere.

Be a good one to troll out of and putt around with.

The plastic seats will have to disappear.

Cedar3.jpg

cedar2-1.jpg

Cedar1.jpg

Edited by Bernie

nice find ...good luck with this project....my uncle inlaw just hand built something very similar to this boat for shooting over to Chantry Island....his passion for it almost convinced me to do the same....( then my wife smacked me in the head and told me to finish the two projects i have on the go ...) :rolleyes:

Neat project Bernie. Reminds of the rentals that we used to use on Lake Kipawa. When caught in the rain I used to bury myself up under the bow and let my friend drive back to camp. :D

Question: Do you you plan on removing the fibreglass?

Fixing up a old boat is a great idea but using OLD motors that pollute more then they push the boat is not IMOH

True, Billy, but when going for an authentic restoration, you have to try and go all the way. If you did the same to an old corvette, you wouldn't drop a 4 cylinder engine in it.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

gorgeous old boat. there's a very old wood boat stored at my camp i've been eying up for a while! i'd like to do soemthing similar with it!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Chris, the glass will stay, really tough to take it off if it was properly applied. Many of the boats back in that time had painted bottoms anyway so it isn't too much out of era. Besides that the soaking up period in the spring is a pain in the :asshat:

Billy, some of the old engines were bad polluters but not all were poorly engineered in that manner. A big part of the pollution and oil slicks was the type and amount of oil added at that time. Modern quality 2 stroke oils have much better lubrication properties and are designed to burn away with the combustion process. The little engine I put on it is being run on 50/1 mix. No smoke or oil slicks were evident as it was being run but still has a slight familiar 2 stroke smell. I have run older models for several summers in the past at 50/1 without any lubrication failures. The larger engines that OMC produced (33hp and up) through the 1950's and 60's were notorious gas hogs and lots of hydrocarbons went out the exhaust unburned. Not sure of the Mercurys back then as there were not a lot of them around here at that time.

I may even start into sanding it down this fall if we ever get nice weather again.

Great looking boat for its age. They need a lot of TLC but there's nothing quite like 'em.

I'd like to see how it looks when you get through restoring it.

My brother has a 1956 Evinrude Fast-twin (15 HP) that my Dad bought new in '56 and is still running and looks good. I don't know if he'd part with it though.

Brian the boat was made by B Giesler & Sons in Powassan. Been building them since the 1920's and are still being built today.

Jocko, thank you for the offer but I think there may be one kicking around at our shop. Just need to find one that runs. ;)

Edited by Bernie

Brian the boat was made by B Giesler & Sons in Powassan. Been building them since the 1920's and are still being built today.

Bernie,is there a trade mark to look for on the boat?

I,ll be heading over there Sunday and take a pic of it. It,s bare bones.Just the wood.

No problem, Bernie. If you had been interested I would have at least asked my brother, though I think he would probably want to hang on to it.

My father used to rent boats like this when I was a kid (before he built his own - not a cedar strip) and my grandfather had one for quite a few years, but I can't remember all that much about them, so this question might be dumb --- is the Giesler boat basically similar to a Peterborough boat?

I spent most of my life up around Timmins and the aluminum boat is king up there. I don't think I ever saw a cedar strip even once in all my years of fishing around Timmins.

I remember the solidity and good handling of these cedar strips, though. I've often had it in the back of my mind to want one.

Very nice B! You have been mentioning about doing this for a long time. Glad to see the dream come into reality!

You know if you need a hand, the boys will be there. drag it into the bunkie... we'll have a sanding/lemon drop party this winter!

Can't wait to see the final product.

See you in a couple weeks!

G