Walleye night fishing

holdfast

I may end up camping next week but chances Ill be fishing after dark. Since Ive only targeted bass or cats at night I'm new to this and also only got the one night. The Lake is small with the only structure is reeds. Shallows are sand or mud. The Lake s deepest would be 30ish feet. Where should I fish, depth, structure and what to use. Should I cast ( What Lures) or slowly retrieve a frozen Minnow with a split shot which works for me in the day, (usually). Its one of those back lakes that Ive been at before.

Thanks for any input. Yea Id love to throw a line out from shore, however I think my best cast may put me in 3 feet of water. No drop off at my expected site. I'm thinking that may be a waste, so Ill boat it.

After dark there'll be walleye in 3 feet of water. If you know of a place or could find a place where there's a drop off past the shallow water, that would be better. Walleye feel at home under the cover of night because their vision is built for that. Perch and pike sit tight all night and wait for light. Anything that you'd use for that lake during the day for walleye will work at night.

Hope that helps and good luck to you Rob.

Yeah nice and shallow!!

Ive caught walleye in incredibly shallow water at night.

Mister Twister twin tails in chartreuse on a 'light as possible' jighead rocks for night walleye as well as my favorite bait the Xrap (glass ghost and clown are my favs).

Rob, the way I always fish eyes at night is slow trolling floating stick baits. If you can't troll slow enough going forward try back trolling.

I usually use either larger sized floating Rapalas or Husky Jerks. Sometimes the jointed ones work better for whatever reason.

Either use a Rapala knot or a cross lock snap so the lures action won't be impeded.

I also sometimes play with the eye of the lure a bit with pliers. If you bend it down slightly you'll get a much more erratic action.

A lake like you described I'd first key on any windward shorelines. At night troll as close to shore as you can without getting screwed up. Beyond that any shoreline that has visible rock should be good. In that type of lake rock sticks out like a sore thumb and attracts fish like a magnet.

Also, in shallow, reedy, dishpan lakes many times I've found walleye by looking for subtle reed points.

If reeds is all you've got look for any irregularities.

Good luck!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

lots of good info in this thread.

the only advice i'd add is that sometimes at night when the waves and wind are calm, the fish can be very aggressive, very shallow, but also very weary of the presence of a boat and outboard motor. you may catch a fish or two on a particular spot, troll back over it, and rattle the school enough to spook it off the feed. kill the motor after finding a fish and fish the same spot with subtle bait like a chartreuse grub. while you might be able to troll back over the spot and catch another fish or two, by staying just off the spot and casting it, or slowly drifting the spot you might be able to multiply that 'eye into 5 or 10. this has paid dividends a few times already this summer in late evening both around home and abroad (fishing has been REAL tough some evenings this summer with the funky weather)

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I like this post and would like to add to the Q side (not meaning to hijack your post).

As the long weekend is coming, will the weather temp's play a roll on the depth at dusk/night?

I have found that on my lake I can cast from the dock and get strikes about 30' out in 8' of water (shallow lake where I am). I have also found that the storm wild-eye baits work well. Should I change up and go to my "bass rig" at night to produce more walleye?

I find that the noisier baits are better to attract the nighttime eye. Long and skinny in the summer works well, preferably jointed with bearings. I would troll to cover lots of water. If you have a drift sock, I would use it if you don't have any luck at your slowest unaided speed (other than zig zagging). Slower the better most times in the heat. I would also find the deepest water interesting and troll for the suspended fish up top. I caught my largest eye doing just that at night. Good luck!

Yes, bigger stick baits and for some reason BLUE Rapala's trolled slowly making S turns work well. Jointed Rapala's dive deeper than sticks.......If you want to keep the lure up and out of the weeds either use HEAVEY mono line like 20/30# or put a round bobber about 6-7" in front of the lure. I have caught walleye's casting at night on rock piles as shallow as 12" but that is in the spring.

Now you MUST report back on your results.

Good Luck,

Bob

For night walleyes I prefer casting over trolling. Pre scouting for large shallow flats, and shoals with quick access to deeper water is a good start. Fish will be active as the sun sets then there seems to be a lull for a few hours before they turn on again.

Lure of choice for me is a Bomber Long A, fishes well over shallow water and has a nice slow roll that walleye seem to love. Another lure not to be over looked is the good ole Mepps, size 3 and 4.