Driveway Sealer

Headhunter

Hey folks!

I have a question for all you drive way experts! LOL

I just had my driveway re-paved and I am wonder if I should seal it sooner, rather than later? The work was done on Monday, we will be parking our cars on it as of tonight. Should I seal it now or wait and if I am to wait, what is the reasoning.

Also, which sealer would you folks suggest.

Thanks in advance!

HH

I have 2 large drive ways on either side of my house. Last July I spent an entire sunny 3 day weekend, properly sweeping, POWER WASHING, pulling weeds, filling in cracks, and rolling the so called "airport grade" more expensive sealer onto both drive ways. They looked like new for the rest of the summer. This spring, once the snow melted, they looked TERRIBLE. You could see the roller lines, and they're faded from one end to the other.

The retired couple across the road from me had theirs done professionally by a company that only swept, they didn't even pressure wash it, but they SPRAY sealed it, and his still looks good as new?

So, moral of the story for me, if you're going to seal your driveway, leave it to the pro's.

Good luck,

Ryan

Well I'm kinda weird I guess every 2 years i have sealed mine with the runnway grade stuff and I cant complain just blow it off and roll lay it in thick hot days are the best to do it my opinion

snow comes off it great shovel or blower

no peeling

POUND OF PREVENTION

I had done mine with stuff that you buy at the store what a waste of money. If you go thru a paving company(most have a crew for this) to get it done professionally they usually use the liquid(tar) straight from the paving plant, much better quality than anything you can buy.

I would never seal a driveway.

If its so good, why doesn't the city seal the streets?

Just like painting a pressure treated fence. Does no good, and when it peels, you gotta do it again or it looks like crap.

it cuts into fishing time way too much

HH, take your wife out to dinner . . . :D

My neighbour and I had it done about four years back, looked as people have said, purdy for a while; he and another neighbour had it done again last year and now they look exactly like mine. It made no difference at all it just looked black for a while and that was about it.

Seal it! I'm sealing mine in a few days. I already bought the transparent sealing solution and it's just waiting to be applied. We got a new driveway 2 years ago, and it started looking like crap. The winter weather and rain have made it erode a little and become brittle. Our neighbor applied a sealer as soon as he got his driveway and his driveway still looks almost like new.

My driveway's at least 25 years old. Is it about time to start sealing it? :P

I will more likely get it redone completely as I have tire depressions where one car has sat every night for those 25 years. Otherwise the driveway is great, although not a nice shiny black colour any longer.

JF