The end of an era... NF

ccmtcanada

Well, with a heavy heart, I say goodbye to the best vehicle I've ever owned. I bought it originally back in 1998 as a safer vehicle to make the drive back and forth to Michigan, where Bly was living at the time. It has seen our marriage, Bly and my daughter's immigration from the US to Canada, the birth of our youngest daughter, many camping trips and in the past few years has taken us on hundreds of fishing outings.

It has well over 330,000 kms on it...went 125,000 before it's first brake job. In the past few years, things have started to wear down...the exhaust which is the original exhaust, needs replaced from the manifold back, the ball joints and shocks need replacing, and the steering rack will need done in the next year. There are also a bunch of smaller non-essential issues that don't need to be done for safety, but should be done. Anyhow, it's time to put this one to rest...and purchase a vehicle that has a larger towing capacity. We have bought a used vehicle...a 2004 Kia Sedona...that is in immaculate shape with only 60,000kms on it. We pick it up later this week. This vehicle has more than enough power to pull around our boat wherever we need to take it.

Here's a picture I took today of the CRV...

crv.jpg

Edited by ccmt

Next time you change vehicles Cliff, just remember... 3/4 ton 4x4, and you can pull anything you want!!! ;)

Cant afford the gas on one of those let alone the vehicle itself...LOL :lol:

The CRV had only a 1,000 pound towing capacity....the Sedona is 3,500 pounds...plenty for us for now.

Edited by ccmt

congrats on the new van.

but be light on the gas pedal

kia's are not that great on gas.

2 guys at work have owned 2 kia's each including the van.

the van seems to do a little better with name brand gas such as petro can or shell.

DONT use no name gas from flying j or husky..

Funny you post this because I put my "mighty voyager" to rest this week too. 310K. I drove it 4 years and never did a thing to it. Oil changes, brakes and tires......she was a trooper too!! I've had that thing loaded up with so many things its not even funny! Hundreds of trips to the cottage towing the boat, with a full load of kids and equipment......never let me down. Hopefully, I don't miss her too much!!

Have fun in the kia......my wife has a little rio-5 and its been a great little grocery getter so far.

S.

330000km is more than repectable. Especially if a fair amount of that was towing. You got your money out of that thing, for sure. It's a good feeling to know you're getting rid of something that was never lemon, just past it's prime.

Before you pick up the Kia, go check out the "Vehicle Loyalty" thread. Maybe we'll convert you to a Jeeper.

Well, with a heavy heart, I say goodbye to the best vehicle I've ever owned. I bought it originally back in 1998 as a safer vehicle to make the drive back and forth to Michigan, where Bly was living at the time. It has seen our marriage, Bly and my daughter's immigration from the US to Canada, the birth of our youngest daughter, many camping trips and in the past few years has taken us on hundreds of fishing outings.

It has well over 330,000 kms on it...went 125,000 before it's first brake job. In the past few years, things have started to wear down...the exhaust which is the original exhaust, needs replaced from the manifold back, the ball joints and shocks need replacing, and the steering rack will need done in the next year. There are also a bunch of smaller non-essential issues that don't need to be done for safety, but should be done. Anyhow, it's time to put this one to rest...and purchase a vehicle that has a larger towing capacity. We have bought a used vehicle...a 2004 Kia Sedona...that is in immaculate shape with only 60,000kms on it. We pick it up later this week. This vehicle has more than enough power to pull around our boat wherever we need to take it.

Here's a picture I took today of the CRV...

crv.jpg

Good choice on the Kia ( Remember its not a Honda) Cliff. I remember maybe a little over a year ago watching Driving TV and them testing the Sedona. They stated a Best Buy, and also stated that why would anyone buy an SUV when the Sedona is Cheaper, Roomier, and just as powerful. Ground clearance is on par with most SUVs.

condolences!

i've got a 2000 CRV with 240km and she's still running great. Definitely one of the best vehicles we've owned. And just last year we leased a new '08 Kia Sedona. I dont drive it everyday as its the wife's vehicle, but i've been pretty impressed with it so far. tows well. hardly even notice the boat behind it - lots of power and a pretty good ride.

i'll be in the same boat as i think we'll be letting the CRV go before the winter. it'll suck to take on another car payment, but at the same time this market is full of deals right now...

Sorry to hear that Cliff, but dang I hope my Sportage lasts longer than 330000, I've had it less than 2 years and have 150000 on it....

Skeeter, not sure what vehicles your co-workers have, or how they drive, but my Sportage gets better mileage than the cars of a lot of guys at work, actually better than most small SUV's even the CRV in a lot of cases....now to be fair mine is a 5 speed so that might help, and I rarely go faster than 110km.

Cliff, enjoy the Sedona, I know many who do...

Maureen

both had spectras

now one has the van

and the other guy has the 05 magentis

he gets 400km on 55 litres of gas !!!!

i dont know about anyone else but in my books thats bad!!!!!!!!!!

my 2002 extended montana uses 8 liters for 100 km city/hwy

i like the style of the kia van

and i think cliff & bly will love it.

both had spectras

now one has the van

and the other guy has the 05 magentis

he gets 400km on 55 litres of gas !!!!

i dont know about anyone else but in my books thats bad!!!!!!!!!!

my 2002 extended montana uses 8 liters for 100 km city/hwy

i like the style of the kia van

and i think cliff & bly will love it.

Dang, 400km to 55L is horrible!!! I get at least 600km to the same amount of litres a little more in the summer...not sure what he's doing to get so little....

Maureen

I'm on my third CRV an '06 and IMHO the last good year. I hate the new look. That being said the first one was a 1997 and at 250,000Km is still running good. All you gotta do is take care of um, change the oil and they just keep unning