Odd situation in the boating world.

Tybo

I was reading a post and it reminded me of this.

I use to own a 21ft challenger with a punched 2.4 litre Merc.

One day I'm docking it in Orillia.I get into the slip and throw the boat into

reverse and slam the throttle to stop the boat.

To my up most surprise the boat lurches forward and climbs the dock.

Now the hole boat,plus engine is out of the water sitting on the dock.

There two guys sitting in a boat just down from me laughing.

I ask them to help me push the boat back in the water.

We get it into the water and one guy says what happened.

As soon as I take the cowling off, the hole shifting mechanism falls off the

engine and is still in forward.

When I get the boat on the trailer there is a couple of scratches in the jell-coat and thats it.

Oh wow that's nuts at least there some ppl that are helpful in Orillia. That story is laughable now but i don't think it was at the moment it happened.

Well when i first got my boat and unhooked everything at the boat launch getting ready to launch i started to back up to the launch and my boat being on rollers was starting to roll itself off the trailer while i was backing up. So i got basically 2 choices here A: come to a very slow and gentle stop hoping i don't jerk the trailer and send the boat off the trailer or B: back up the remaining 10ft before my transom touches water. I chose B it was a smart move i think. So lesson learned leave winch strap on until trailer wheels are submerged.

I did the same thing almost, came into the dock and was going to put it in between two boats but at the last seconds decided to put her on the end facing out. Merc drive, the second small shift cable came apart and i kept on going ripping a fender off. Sure glad I didn't put it between the two boats.

Well when i first got my boat and unhooked everything at the boat launch getting ready to launch i started to back up to the launch and my boat being on rollers was starting to roll itself off the trailer while i was backing up. So i got basically 2 choices here A: come to a very slow and gentle stop hoping i don't jerk the trailer and send the boat off the trailer or B: back up the remaining 10ft before my transom touches water. I chose B it was a smart move i think. So lesson learned leave winch strap on until trailer wheels are submerged.

LOL too funny. I had the same problem. I guess I should have warned you.

PS-I too made it to the water before any damage could have happened.

I now always keep the boat attached. In fact I was in a tourney yesterday and was backing my partners boat in for him and re attached the strap he undid. It's a nasty feeling you get in your stomach when it happens, and I do not want to ever be there again.

Saw this at the landing one day in Temagami. Was dropping some guests back at the landing and saw a beauty big Lund Tyee pull in. Guy gets out and he's immediately "look at me and my new boat" . Undoes the winch strap and backs the boat in with only a 6ft rope tied to the front. It's a very deep ramp there and the boat comes firing off the trailer once he gets a bit of water under it. The 6 ft rope is way to short and gets pulled out of the wifes hands.

To top it all off he forgets to put the plug in. Here's this 20 ft Lund drifting about 50ft off the ramp and you could tell after a few minutes the back end was starting to get lower in the water. Lucky for him it was a saturday and there was a number of boats in the water waiting to get to the ramp.

Someone pulled up beside his boat and guidded back to the dock. He did have to jump in and swim to the back and get the plug in.

Probably not that odd but always amazes me what stuff goes on at the ramps.

After a day of muskie fishing a whole bunch of years ago in the dark my buddy was driving back to where we launched in indian river full tilt up the creek hit a stump launched us in the air and we landed on a big table top stump kinda freaky being airborne in the dark in a boat

During the spring opener ..I came back to dock and tied up.

I proceeded to get my truck and trailer into the water.

I got out of the truck and jumped into the boat .. flooring it up the launch and onto my trailer..

FRIGGIN PERFECT!!!!!

As proud as I was for completing that feat in under a minute... some guy in a orange rainsuit obviously wasn't!!

I had stolen his boat!!!! The Look On his face !! :( what the hell!!

He had just parked his truck and was walking to his boat...until he seen it come up the ramp...

After a screaming fit I explained that my boat was right behind his .... I had the TRACKER w/20 Merc...

he had a Polarcraft w/20 Merc they looked the same from the dock and in a RUSH..

I kindly returned his boat to the water and retrieved mine ..

We both had a good laugh along with the rest of the spectators.

RFS

:canadian:

I got out of the truck and jumped into the boat .. flooring it up the launch and onto my trailer..

FRIGGIN PERFECT!!!!!

As proud as I was for completing that feat in under a minute... some guy in a orange rainsuit obviously wasn't!!

He had just parked his truck and was walking to his boat...until he seen it come up the ramp...

After a screaming fit I explained that my boat was right behind his .... I had the TRACKER w/20 Merc...

he had a Polarcraft w/20 Merc they looked the same from the dock and in a RUSH..

RFS

:lol:

FRIGGIN PERFECT!!!!!

RFS

ROLL OFF MY ARSE!! :lol:

That musta been a hoot man. The look on that poor guys face musta been priceless!!

Awww. thank you. BAHAAH!!!!

HD

That is funny Randy.

Well, the truth is I was in a bad bad boating accident early last summer but I won't mention that one again.

This other story took place in the Middle East (Abu Dhabi). I owned an 18ft fiberglass crestliner with a 140 hp Evinrude. It was a good boat. In order to get to the back side of a protected island I had to cross into an open gap for about a half mile or so. I never really had an issue doing this as the waves were always huge rollers and their frequency was so spaced out that you could actually easily ride the trough sideways almost the whole way and maybe have to ride only 2 big rollers head on (which you did very slowly - up up up the one side and then down down down the other). To make a long story short we had an airlock in the fuel line when the boat went up a big roller and it stalled. We stopped about 30 yards from a huge rif raf breakwall that was about 10 ft tall. We were surfing these big rollers toward the wall so my friend and I decided to jump off and try to keep a 2500 pound boat being pushed by 8ft rollers off the rocks. Wow! Not a chance. After almost being crushed by the boat slamming down on us (it just missed us) we got out of the water and onto the breakwall. My 4 other friends in the boat were being slammed onto the breakwall and repeatedly. I could only stand on top of the wall and watch my boat lifted onto the rocks and slide down about 20 times. I managed to flag down a couple big coast guard boats on the inside of the breakwall and they came to help. In the meantime my buddy in the boat managed to get it started but a huge wave came over the back of the boat as he was trying to reverse out and it stalled the engine again. The coast guard got close enough to throw them a line and managed to pull them away from the wall but the two coast guard boats managed to collide with each other in these huge waves. I walked to the inside of the breakwall where my boat was towed and the coast guard took me to it. I got in and managed to start it. There was alot of water inside and with 6 people on board I could hardly get it to plane. I manged to get it on the trailer and to my surprise ther holw at the bottm of the keel was the only damage and it was only about 5 inches long and about an inch wide. Amazing considering the beating it took against the rocks for about 5 minutes straight. There were 2 guys and 2 girls inside the boat when this was happening and one of the girls was nervous about boats to begin with.

This accident could have been a lot worse.

Edited by Cudz