Muskie lures

Posted this one in the dang classified too...

Anywho..

Two more days till the lunge opener!! I'm too freakin excited that I can't sit in the office without running down to the Rideau River and Canal every couple of hours hoping to spot a lunge for the warm and fuzzies...Anyways, I recently bought me one of the new bass pro shops xps power plus medium heavy rods as a graduation present and am really looking forward to the first cast...

My current lunge arsenal is sparse and includes a Storm kicking minnow, a luhr jensen giant spoon and a couple of spinner baits (which i'm not to keen on using since I am still inexperienced in catching musky and i've heard that break offs involving spinnerbaits usually ends up killing pike and musky)...I've had most of my heart stopping chases involve 4 inch tubes but i dont want to use those either since the giant largies are all over the place right now...

I've got a $40 budget to blow on Musky lures....What would you Musky pros purchase if all you had was $40 to spend.....

Also, any one out there fishing the Rideau on Saturday?!!

Edited by Fishingitis

If I had 40 bucks to blow on a bait I would go for something like a bucktail...Grim Reaper makes a great double thumper...I like the white with silver blades but theres alot of guys here that swear by the black with hot orange blades...They run about $29.00 plus tax. With the change left over you can buy a pack or two of good quality leaders so you won't have to worry about breaking off any fish....

Good Luck !!

I love bucktails, but if I was buying one lure it would be a Walleye pattern weighted Sledge.

It's a Jerk Bait and only works right if you start and end with slack line, but it is deadly!

$40 might not get you too far with muskie lures. If you are worried about break offs you might want to make sure your equipment is up to par.

Power pro braided line 80 lb on a reel will definitly lessen the likelyhood of a break off.

Good leaders(muskie) will also save you from harming the fish or losing valuable tackle. I throw spinnerbaits 80% of th time when casting, have caught lots of fish on them (up to 30lbs+-) and have never lost one

That being said, I have spent thousands of hrs on the rideau and the Rideau muskies like their soft plastic but I would def. toss spinnerbaits and work the weed edges at the right time of day with a topraider,hope this helps

If I had $40 for the opener providing I already had the proper release tools I'd go as follows.

MnG spinner $14

MnG Buck a boo $10

Depth raider 6-9 inches $15

Then check the car for loose change to cover the tax.

Good luck and have fun

$40 :lol:

Quality leader.

Double Cow Girl Bucktail.

Top water of some sort with a prop ( topraider ).

("I am still inexperienced in catching musky")......Both are easy to use, semi straight retrieve lures.

That's pushing $50 though.

Good luck!

I personaly like the musky buck's in either black or red any where from $12-15 each, as well as Boo Yah Boogie baits ($7) work awesome for musky .. caught more musky on them then anything else.. anything around like that tend to do well for me ..

tho like the other guys said make sure you have the rights tools for the job. saves you alot of money in the end!

For $40 I'd go with bucktails for sure. They are easy to use and can cover a lot of water. They are cheaper then many other musky lures and you can get several colours. As long as you have leaders and strong line you wont need to worry about breakoffs killing the fish

I like black lures and firetiger patterns for muskie

Edited by mepps

I would get a bucktail of some sort for sure, and depending on how much I spend on one, I would get either an 8" or a 10" jointed Believer. They have been around forever and are still the most versatile and effective lure on the market. You can use a believer as a topwater bait and a shallow diving bait on the shallow setting, connect your line to the deep setting and you have a deep running bait, plus you can troll with it on either setting.

As others have mentioned previously, it's more important to make sure you have the necessary tools to handle and release musky as quick as possible before you get into buying more baits.

As far as bucktails go if you make it to BPS they have some really nice new house brand double bladed bucktails that run only $10, heck of a lot better quality than the mepps they are putting out now a days. I might also suggest a believer, can be fished shallow or deep and trolls and casts very nicely. I would also pick up a Jake/Grandma as i have personally caught almost all of my muskies on them.

Count me in the bucktail bandwagon, specifically the Muskie Killer or Muskie Buck. They're not terribly expensive, they're easy to use and they catch a pile of fish. How do you go wrong?

Save the big baits for later in the summer and into the fall. Early in the season you find a lot of fish up shallow, where smaller baits (like the Muskie Killers etc) are often more productive.

Muskie fishing is expensive, a quality net is $150-$200, a cradle is a cheaper alternative. Proper release tools, and HEAVY gear and at least 80# braided line and high quality leaders! Not having the proper gear can result in high post-release mortality, or pre-release mortality!

Wow...I checked in on this thread to see if anyone mentioned bucktails.... :lol: For the record, I love Buchertails, but I should mention that Lindy makes a cheap bucktail that is surprisingly durable and really thumps. Ditto on the proper gear (line and leaders) as well.