Whities Newby ?????

Headhunter

I'm heading out Saturday with FishnSled for my first ever shot at getting a Whitie/Laker. After reading some of the recent posts, I'm JONESIN.... BIG TIME!!!! That being said, I have some idea of what to bring out with me, from a tackle perspective and to date have the following ready to go;

-williams spoons

-Meegs jigs

-Swedish Pimples

-Mr. Champ

-jiggin raps

Do you think I'm ready to go? Should I consider any other baits? What reccommendations do you have for me? I'm really hopin to pop my Whitie cherry, same for Lakers!

I appreciate any advice and look forward to your responses! :Gonefishing:

HH

Edited by Headhunter

I would make up afew 2-4 foot leads with a pearl tied on to the end of a treble hook to tie on to the end of your williams. Then you can jig the williams off bottom for lakers and have the treble with the pearl on bottom for whities. I would also bring some hooks and spilt shot to use. Make sure there good hooks like daichi or gamakatsu.

Cheers jeff

Been doing well with Williams Half and Half in Red. Got a bunch of Whities on it yesterday. Don't jig it or anything elese too hard. Sometime just lift it so one end comes off the bottom and drop it a few times. Then a 12" lift. Vary your jigging and find what works that day.

RR

What RR said.....don't over jig the williams. Just lift it slow, keep it close to bottom, but keeping your line tight on the drop at the same time...hard to explain. Don't let your line go slack when it hits bottom....Every once in a while give it a nice lift, just so fish can see it further away.

If you have sonar.....bring it and watch it closely....the whities are hard to pick up sometimes when their bellies are in the mud. Hard jigging will spook them more times than not, when they are down there.

With the badboys type jigs, keep your line tight, and just kinda bounce it 1-3" off bottom.....nice and slow. Throw in a gentle lift once in a while to get attention from further away.

I've caught whities on the williams just flipping it back and forth on the bottom. No real lift at all. Most times slower is better, but some days they'll slam anything.

If your marking fish, slower is usually better.

And don't forget set lines. If conditions are right, I catch more on set lines than I do jigging. Your rig has to be super sensitive, and be able to pick up a hit that lifts the bait off bottom. I use light line and small hooks under a slip float....as long as conditions allow it.

My #1 go to lure is the williams #50 half and half hammered.....but I've also caught piles on the badboy type jigs........and the #60 williams......just keep trying everthing you have...LOL...and don't give up.

Good luck out there!

Sinker

Thanks for all your input folks, some really great tips there! Now if Mr. Whitie cooperates, I'm guarranted a PB! Lookin forward to posting a very positive report and spendin the day with Fishnsled again!

Thanks to all who posted for taking the time!

HH