To John F, Stratford

Jonny

Promise me then you will look the other way if I go out and take home 7 pike tonight, ok?

If you trot down there in a horse and buggy, and fish with your homemade fishin pole and go back to eat them in your handbuilt house over your wood stove...then yes, I would 100% look the other way.

Hey big guy, I'll look the other way, as long as you travel by horse and buggy, make your own clothes, use a cane pole and cook them up without electricity.

D'oh, Archie you beat me to it.

Edited by jediangler

There are a few factors which make me sympathetic to leaving the Mennonites alone as far as fishing is concerned.

• There are exceptions made to fishing licenses for seniors and for kids.
  • Their impact is limited to any place they can drive with a buggy (not too far, I'd wager).
  • They probably obey the seasons and catch limits.
  • I have a feeling the MNR has already looked at this and labelled it a non-issue, not worth the hassle.

---

Some of you liked that "cadillac" buggy. Here's a closer shot of it... they might just as easily have made a Depression-style "Bennett Buggy", a motorless car hitched up to a horse. :D ........

P5212290_cadillac.jpg

Edited by Jocko Point Jonny

From what i know of their lifestyle...............i have the UTMOST respect for them. They are not a wasteful sort and i highly doubt they would waste a resource. HIGHLY DOUBT. I think they should be rewarded and looked at as an example of what to live like and how to raise kids the right way. Even if that reward is as little as leavin them be. They are a different type of humanity. I see both ends here, but my gut says they arent a threat to conservation.........and are in a realm of their very own.

If you trot down there in a horse and buggy, and fish with your homemade fishin pole and go back to eat them in your handbuilt house over your wood stove...then yes, I would 100% look the other way.

Wow, simply wow. Maybe you should do a little research on Mennonites.

There are hundreds in the area north of Lindsay. They get rides into town from local people, in their cars, they go to the hospital, shop in the stores in town and use gas engines on the power tools such as radial arm saws and balers. And don't we all live in "handbuilt" homes?

It sounds to me like you feel kind of sorry for them. If so, don't. It's the life they have chosen to live and that's great, all the power to them. Poor they are not however. When they started moving into my area, they bought some of the best farms in Victoria County and paid cash for every one of them.

Bottom line is, you can't have one segment of "society" that is allowed to play by a different set of rules.

Wow, simply wow. Maybe you should do a little research on Mennonites.

There are hundreds in the area north of Lindsay. They get rides into town from local people, in their cars, they go to the hospital, shop in the stores in town and use gas engines on the power tools such as radial arm saws and balers. And don't we all live in "handbuilt" homes?

It sounds to me like you feel kind of sorry for them. If so, don't. It's the life they have chosen to live and that's great, all the power to them. Poor they are not however. When they started moving into my area, they bought some of the best farms in Victoria County and paid cash for every one of them.

Bottom line is, you can't have one segment of "society" that is allowed to play by a different set of rules.

I'm with you on this one.

Gotta love this place , only site on the web except maybe devilworshiperareus.com, that will take a shot at Mennonites ,maybe I should give away a free LAKE TROUT charter for mennonites and post the pics than see how long before Roy shuts it down .. lmao ....

Edited by capt bruce

Gotta love this place , only site on the web except maybe devilworshiperareus.com, that will take a shot at Mennonites ,maybe I should give away a free LAKE TROUT charter for mennonites and post the pics than see how long before Roy shuts it down .. lmao ....

If they came on board your boat for a charter, would you check to see if they all had a licence?

"If they came on board your boat for a charter, would you check to see if they all had a licence?"

ya I guess I would ,but I dont see this happening as I dont plan on painting the boat all black and I know those Mennonite women are strong but its gonna be hard to paddle a forty foot boat out to the bar and troll all day .. lol

Dang, they make some fine sausage though, don't they! And I've heard great things about their funiture as well!

As much as I beleive in equal treatment for all, I don't think pursuing these folks has anybody's interest. I say leave 'em alone.

HH

ya I guess I would ,but I dont see this happening as I dont plan on painting the boat all black and I know those Mennonite women are strong but its gonna be hard to paddle a forty foot boat out to the bar and troll all day .. lol

Humour aside, that is all I'm saying.

I was not taking a shot at them at all.

I have no idea why you say I'd shut it down.

We are all pretty quick to judge, but does anyone actually now if they have to purchase a license at all? Not trying to stir the pot, but this could be a pointless discussion if they did have to purchase it. Like i said....just a question.

They do make yummy sausages!!!

Not me, I feel sorry for the kids.

I dunno, like i say, maybe i dont have an accurate depiction of them...........from what i thought i knew.........they seem to lead a pretty simple, "Home on the Prairie" type existance. But my experience with them is VERY limited.

That being said........i feel more sorry for the kids with cell phones attached to their fingers, there i-pod buds attached to their ears, thier myspace accounts........you tube portfolios......and false sense of what they think life is going to be based on seeing all of there idols on MTV driving bentleys and Bugatis. Not to mention every single female role model thats comes off the disney chanel is showing every little girl that she has to cross over to half naked pictures on the internet as soon as 13 hits to be a success.............dah, dont even get me started. lol

That being said........i feel more sorry for the kids with cell phones attached to their fingers, there i-pod buds attached to their ears, thier myspace accounts........you tube portfolios......and false sense of what they think life is going to be based on seeing all of there idols on MTV driving bentleys and Bugatis. Not to mention every single female role model thats comes off the disney chanel is showing every little girl that she has to cross over to half naked pictures on the internet as soon as 13 hits to be a success.............dah, dont even get me started. lol

I see your point there...but I believe a person is a product of their environment.

Mennonite and Amish kids are raised in such an extreme manner it's almost akin to a cult.

They likely don't have a fair shake at making an informed decision themselves how their life should be lived.

I see your point there...but I believe a person is a product of their environment.

Mennonite and Amish kids are raised in such an extreme manner it's almost akin to a cult.

They likely don't have a fair shake at making an informed decision themselves how their life should be lived.

And i see yours, i had no idea it was that extreme. Yikes

That is precisely why you have the values and morals that you have today. You were raised that way, regardless of how you may feel that the way that they raise thier kids is wrong, it is a way of raising one's children with a lot of positive attitudes towards teamwork and getting the job done together. They are passing on thier values and morals to thier children. As well, the children do have a chance to explore the outside world and see if that is the way they wish to live thier lives, (or perhaps it is the Amish), at the mid point of the teen years.

One parent may find it repugnant that you took your 5 year old daughter out for a weekend fishing trip in the middle of no-where, (I find it laudable), as one should not expose ones' childern to the dangers of the wilderness. Once again an example of different values in play.

Just my two cents.

That is precisely why you have the values and morals that you have today. You were raised that way, regardless of how you may feel that the way that they raise thier kids is wrong, it is a way of raising one's children with a lot of positive attitudes towards teamwork and getting the job done together. They are passing on thier values and morals to thier children. As well, the children do have a chance to explore the outside world and see if that is the way they wish to live thier lives, (or perhaps it is the Amish), at the mid point of the teen years.

One parent may find it repugnant that you took your 5 year old daughter out for a weekend fishing trip in the middle of no-where, (I find it laudable), as one should not expose ones' childern to the dangers of the wilderness. Once again an example of different values in play.

Just my two cents.

Don't agree at all.

I was raised by my parents to believe that I could do anything if I put my mind to it, that the world was my oyster and to have a broad and open mind.

These people may be some of the nicest around but broad and open minded they're not.

That their teens are given the choice of another life is commendable, but frankly too little too late.

That would be akin to uprooting your own new age teen and saying "How's about you try living like a pioneer for a while, perhaps you'd like to live your life that way?"

In most cases that 'aint gonna happen.

Peoples morals ideals and personalities are already entrenched by that late age...

Yes they live a simpler life with positive attitudes....

But unless you truly believe that such a narrow minded existence is the right one in this day and age then those kids are getting the short end of lifes stick.

But then that's just one mans opinion. B)

Edited by solopaddler

I guess I was wrong about internet use. I found a site which appears to be Amish in origin (quoted from, below). We have a tendency to lump all Amish and Mennonites roughly together, but there is a large range of belief and custom among them.

The Anabaptists (as they were called) believed in adult baptism; separation of church and state; nonresistance; Bible authority; and nonconformity. In time one major group of Anabaptists became known as 'Mennonites'. Later, a conservative wing of Anabaptists broke away and became known as 'Amish' (these labels derived from names of early leaders). Persecution was fierce and eventually dispersed the Anabaptists across Europe, and eventually, to America.

North America now holds the largest concentration of the Amish. Diversity between and among the groups is rather broad today. The Amish are composed of three major subgroups: Old Order, New Order and "Beachy". The Old Order are the most traditional and conservative, wearing somber plain clothes, avoiding use of electricity, holding church biweekly in members homes and using the horse and buggy. Mennonites are very diverse from conservative to contemporary. The Mennonites are known for their worldwide mission and public service work.

Like all cultural groups, religion and tradition interweave in the society of the Amish and the Mennonites. This phenomenon prevails more in Amish society. It can cause frictions between and within different groups, and can appear confusing to outside society. Also confusing to outsiders is the behavior of Amish youth, who in reality do not formally join the church until adulthood and until then are not bound by its rules. The basic tenets of faith are the same for both the Amish and Mennonites, and include: A Biblical Faith; Separation; Love; Nonconformity; Nonresistence; Simplicity; and Witness. The interpretation and application of these beliefs as they relate to cultural practice and indentity are what make the differences between groups in Amish and Mennonite culture. It is true that some leave the stricter churches, but the churches continue to grow.

I have it on what I consider good authority that the 1985 movie "Witness" with Harrison Ford is a good window into Amish life for one particular sect. The female lead lived with the Amish to immerse herself in the role.

I am very skeptical of telling these people that they are not raising their children right, and I would hardly agree with a suggestion that they are similar to a cult.

I'm pretty new to this board so I don't know whether this kind of post fits, but I thought it might be helpful in light of where the discussion has gone.