To John F, Stratford

Jonny

My thanks to JPJ , Big guy , Solo , John and all the others that made this one of the best threads I have had the pleasure to read on this board . Tho it was mostly non fishing related , it shows that we have a wide range of opinions on this board ( but we come together under our love for the outdoors) and we can express these differing views without resorting to name calling etc. and WE CAN AGREE to DISAGEE . Great debate now Im not sure what side IM on both (I think that this time theres maybe three sides) made great points .

I agree Buce. You Booble you!

Ask a simple question --- "Any idea what they were fishing for?" :D

Then a thread takes you all over the place, which is all good.

Thanks for pitching in with that latest post, John F. I learned a lot more from that post, and this entire thread, than I had hoped!

I think a buddy of mine was telling me about a little creek somewhere around welsley that is spring fed and is home to a nice brookie population ive been thinking about going to check it out

Share! I guess that's quite possible, even probable. Nature drew some invisible fence around Stratford that won't let trout inside. They're close by on the southeast and up towards the Grand if you go Wellesley way so it's very likely. Dunno if they're in that part of the Nith. Anyone?

JF

Edited by JohnF

The Mennonite community is not a simple one to define.Waterloo County alone has over twenty different groups.They range from the conservative(e.g., Old order Menn) to the moderates (e.g.,Markam Menn) to the progresive groups(e.g.,General Conference Mennonites).The common ancestry springs from the early 1500s,when Menno Simons,a former Dutch priest,provided leadership to a Reform group that had left the established Catholic church.Their basic tenets of faith included a belief in adult baptism upon confession of faith and a stand of pacifism.As the faith's followers grew larger,they became known as Mennonites.

To answer the origional ? Bass or Redfin.

Share! I guess that's quite possible, even probable. Nature drew some invisible fence around Stratford that won't let trout inside. They're close by on the southeast and up towards the Grand if you go Wellesley way so it's very likely. Dunno if they're in that part of the Nith. Anyone?

JF

That invisible fence is soils. To much clay around Stratford you need gravel and sand to have trout streams or limestone. Ive found many a good trout stream by simply consulting soil maps. Yes there is a trout stream(marginal water) around Wellesley.

That invisible fence is soils. To much clay around Stratford you need gravel and sand to have trout streams or limestone. Ive found many a good trout stream by simply consulting soil maps. Yes there is a trout stream(marginal water) around Wellesley.

I'll happily defer to yer expertise. Heck. What else could I do with a handle like yours?

JF

No doubt gravel, sand and rock are good indicators of a speckled trout stream, but I've been on a few where those are scarce commodities, from what you can see from above the water.

The one that sticks out in my mind the most is the Dunrankin River, west of Foleyet along the CNR line. A friend and I had the "milk run" train drop us off there with our canoe and camping gear a number of years back. The stretch of river we fished for two full days was basically about 5 miles of slow water flowing through swampy flatlands, bordered with bulrushes cattails and lily pads. The bottom was mud. To look at the scenery would have gladdened the heart of a duck hunter but not a trout fisherman, and the specks were insane! We kept count (just for the hell of it) and caught 96, most of which, of course, were returned to the river.

Maybe the swampy environment was filtering the water as well as sand and gravel normally do?

The Shawmere River between Foleyet and Chpleau is much the same. To look at it you'd think it prime habitat for perch and hammer-handle pike, but it's a speckled trout stream, and a good one.

Edited by Jocko Point Jonny

Historically the upper Thames watershed probably did have trout mush the same way the main Grand River did. As for rivers in general its not the actual soil in the bottom and banks of the river its the surrounding soils. The upper mad and noisy rivers are prime examples of swamp brook trout streams. Also once you get into the Canadian shield the rules for BT streams change. Deep pools able to keep cool temps as well as forest cover cooling the rivers with the odd spring here and there from sand deposits on the banks. Regardless all brook trout streams must have some sort of groundwater upwelling or else the brook trout would not procreate. Fontinalus is their name because it is their prefered boudior.

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said, "Stop! Don't do it!" "Why shouldn't I?" he said. I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!" He said, "Like what?" I said, "Well, are you religious or atheist?" He said, "Religious." I said, "Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?" He said, "Christian." I said, "Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?" He said, "Protestant." I said, Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist? He said, "Baptist!" I said, "Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord? He said, Baptist Church of God!" I said, "Me too! Are you Original Baptist Church of God or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?" He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God!" I said, "Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915?" He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915!" I said, "Die, heretic scum!" and pushed him off.

Hope this helps.

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said, "Stop! Don't do it!" "Why shouldn't I?" he said. I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!" He said, "Like what?" I said, "Well, are you religious or atheist?" He said, "Religious." I said, "Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?" He said, "Christian." I said, "Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?" He said, "Protestant." I said, Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist? He said, "Baptist!" I said, "Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord? He said, Baptist Church of God!" I said, "Me too! Are you Original Baptist Church of God or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?" He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God!" I said, "Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915?" He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915!" I said, "Die, heretic scum!" and pushed him off.

Hope this helps.

Mebbe that's why the bridges tend to be covered in Mennonite country. :whistling:

JF