Hook Cutters!!!

8" bolt cutters on sale this week for $4.99!!!

Every boat/angler should have a pair, at this price there's no excuse! These ones aren't high quality like KNIPEX, but much cheaper! Having a pair could save a fish thats badly hooked, or they might save you some pain and agony if you end up hooked yourself!

8" bolt cutters on sale this week for $4.99!!!

Every boat/angler should have a pair, at this price there's no excuse! These ones aren't high quality like KNIPEX, but much cheaper! Having a pair could save a fish thats badly hooked, or they might save you some pain and agony if you end up hooked yourself!

I just scrounged around in my toolbox and found an old pair of Gray sidecutters - nice small ones that my Dad must have had years ago (50's). I tested them on the thickest gauge hook I have in my kit and it clipped it off without a hint of hesitation and very little pressure from me. I'm now carrying these at all times. If any of you have access to some older tools check it out.

JF

Thanks for the info.

I checked CTC and I wonder if the Mastercraft 8-in. Mini Bolt Cutter will cut anything?

Here is what the cutters will cut - "For cutting mild steel, soft non-ferrous metals or plastics".

But will they be able to cut the bigger hooks or even a size 4 hook? The bigger cutters will but they start off at a lenght of 13 inches (I think).

Thank you - carp-stater

canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441899723&FOLDER<>folder_id=1408474396672077&bmUID=1243293443693#reviews

copy and paste please into browser for link to the sale

Edited by Henry Nguyen

they're better than nothing but will struggle with anything bigger than a 4/0 hook. don't even think of cutting through the shank.

As Raf says they are better than nothing but I have used mine a half dozen times and they are pretty much done. If you want a pair in the boat just in case, then great, but if you plan on using them continuously, then invest in Knipex.

I think I will be further ahead if i buy Knipex bolt cutters instead.

Does anyone know where there is a store? I live in Oakville.

thank you - carp-starter

I think that most Muskies Canada chapters have a few on hand for sale at a reasonable price.

Look up the most convenient location here: http://www.muskiescanada.ca/index.php

You can also get them online at the ring lord.

I bought a pair of the CTC cutters last year and so far I'm fairly impressed with what they will cut. Was just restringing my clothesline and they cut through the "heavy duty" cable like butter, my sidecutters wouldn't even put a dent in it.

I think I will be further ahead if i buy Knipex bolt cutters instead.

Does anyone know where there is a store? I live in Oakville.

thank you - carp-starter

one of the industrial supply/tool places on dixie rd north of the 401 had 'em a few years ago when i was looking. if not, they can get them in for you. I want to say brafasco but not positive on that one.

picked one up .. for the 5 bucks cant go wrong plus its Guaranteed forever .. just have to bring it back when its worn out :thumbsup_anim:

worn out / lifetime warranty does you no good when you're out on the lake trying to separate you from the fish.

They also have their big cutters on sale for $7.99, normally $19.99:

- For cutting bolts, rods, rivets, bars & chains

- Compound-action, high-carbon alloy-steel head provides more cutting force with less effort

Although I'm pretty sure you need to hand to operate them...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/To...lt%2BCutter.jsp

Edited by mepps

I picked some up and tried them on a bit treble (off an old mepps musky killer). Cut through it easily...no problem.

Can't beat it for $5. Also picked up a couple of big ones (24" for 16 bucks or something....can't beat that)

still better then nothing

I really only care about the next time I have a treble buried past the barbs in my carcass. I'll worry about the following time after the next one happens.

The next issue is that this tool is fine for all the boat guys but us waterwalkers work hard at keeping the load limited. Three or five hours without sitting down - casting frequently and carrying all the tools of the trade gets old, especially for us old guys. I limit myself to one ultralite rig and whatever I can carry in an old army shoulder bag, typically a plastic box with my fave hard and soft plastics, a few splitshots and spare hooks. The hemostats, clipper and braid scissors hang on a bungee around my neck. Those cutters weight more than my entire bag most days.

JF

I really only care about the next time I have a treble buried past the barbs in my carcass. I'll worry about the following time after the next one happens.

The next issue is that this tool is fine for all the boat guys but us waterwalkers work hard at keeping the load limited. Three or five hours without sitting down - casting frequently and carrying all the tools of the trade gets old, especially for us old guys. I limit myself to one ultralite rig and whatever I can carry in an old army shoulder bag, typically a plastic box with my fave hard and soft plastics, a few splitshots and spare hooks. The hemostats, clipper and braid scissors hang on a bungee around my neck. Those cutters weight more than my entire bag most days.

JF

John, they are only about 8" long and don't weigh very much.

John, they are only about 8" long and don't weigh very much.

I went to CTC and checked 'em out. They aren't very big but they still weigh too much for an old bujjer like me to carry around for that many hours of wading. I'm going to pick up a pair today anyway. I'll try them but I doubt if I'll carry them all the time.

JF

I picked up a pair yesterday. Perhaps they aren't quite as heavy as I thought, or as big. I'll try carrying them instead of sidecutters for a while and see if I notice the difference. When every little bit of weight (on my shoulder) and every little bit of space in the bag is at such a premium, I hate carrying anything that won't be used regularly, but the likelihood of getting stabbed whilst standing hip deep in the creek is probably higher than while on a boat or the shore. It's pretty easy to make awkward moves when trying to juggle everything to keep it all dry.

JF

I picked up a pair yesterday, tested them out on some 4/0 hooks and they work like a charm.

I have to remember to release the little lock doohickey before I go in the water because it's hard enuf to operate with two hands, and I'm sure not gonna wrestle with it with a big ole treble buried in my hand.

JF