Muskie Lure

kennyman

Pretty tough to limit yourself to one lure...I bet most of the Muskie guys here could quite easily only fish 3 lures this year though! A 3 0z. Spinnerbait would be a good choice if you could only have one lure, trolling or casting a Spinnerbait can be tough to beat.

My three...

1) Black/Silver Bucktail 8-14"

2) Surface Lure (Topraider)

3) 10" Jake (Hard to pick a colour, though Orangetiger and Pickerel have been good ones for me)

Whatever bass lure I am using in Muskie waters, LOL with a good steel leader!

I guess that's a very good point because alot of things I have read have mentioned the similarties between bass and muskie (habitat related mostly). Quite a few posts I've seen have mentioned when they've caught their muskie they were fishing for bass and got a BIG surprise. I wouldn't mind that kind of surprise.

Guest mistyriver1

I'd use whatever bait Lew told me to use ;)

You've had some good suggestions in this thread. JB's is a great place for musky lures. As Marc mentioned, Teamemptypockets (Jeff) makes some very nice baits :worthy: as does Robin on the board.

Good Luck and good shopping

I'd use whatever bait Lew told me to use ;)

Do that, and you'll get skunked alot, just like me :lol::lol:

kennyman, it's great to see you taking such a keen interest in muskies, their a fish that become very addictive once you catch a few.

Alot of the advice you've received has been excellent, but it's extremely hard to narrow your bait choice down to one lure, when your gonna have so many different conditions to contend with. Trouble is, musky lures are very expensive, compared to other baits, but you can get off to a decent start without breaking the bank.

Depending on many different things, your gonna find the fish all over the water column, so try and get yourself a couple baits for each depth, with a couple different color combos for each one.

For top water fishing, I personally like a Bucher Top Raider. It's a prop bait that's easy to use and their pretty good at calling the fish in.

Crank baits are good for different depths. The 10" Believer that Raf mentioned is an excellent bait that will do alot of different tricks, it can be worked very slowly on the surface and is great for night time fishing, it can be twitched, and can also be cranked just under the surface, or made to run deep just by changing the place you clip it on. It's also an excellent trolling bait, even at high speed.

Jakes or Grandmas are another very versatile bait than will do many different things, including twitching, diving or trolling.

Bucktails are one of the best baits around and will always catch you a fish or two. Black with orange is good and so is yellow with brass, but there's 100 other colors that work well, depending on different conditions.

Spinnerbaits were mentioned several times and for a very good reason.....their one of the best casting baits around and will always get you a fish. You can burn them fast just under the surface, or you can slow roll them way down deep in the thickest of weeds where the fish often like to hang out.

Go BIG on the spinner baits though, you want lots of flash and vibration and again color will depend on different things.

Just don't buy cheap baits, cause they won't take the beating from a decent fish. You can figure on spending at least $20 - 25 for a 1/2 decent body bait, and upwards of $100 for a good one......or even more for very good.

Same as bucktails and spinnerbaits....buy good ones and they'll work much better and last a whole lot longer. If you cheap out, the bait will be destroyed after the 2nd fish.

Take $100 to the show and buy 4 baits......a topwater, a big crank, a GOOD bucktail, and a BIG spinnerbait. That'll get you started and then buy a new bait each payday.

Like was said earlier, TEP & Robin are both making some of the best baits you'll find anywhere and they'll have a booth at the Odysee in April.

There's nuthin better than musky fish'n, but it's also one of the most expensive fish to target, so start small and work your way up.

Sorry for rambling on like that, but like I said, it's impossible to narrow it down to just one bait. :thumbsup_anim:

Hi Lew, I have a couple bucktails that are about 9"+. I have a yellow/black 0.051 gauge, bucktail over marabou on 5/0 Eagle Claw trebles and a blue/black with -#6 Brass French Blade. I didn't specifically buy them for muskie, but maybe with a little work I'll hook a couple. Now topwater muskie sounds like a handful, but a blast. I think that'd put a smile on my face (not to mention a little present in my drawers). I didn't really plan on having only one lure but I wanted everyone to pick their favorite and also most versatile bait. It'll be a while before I can build up my muskie lure collection, especially at those prices. I also have a couple brand new but older white/red Rebel spoonbill minnows. These are big,maybe 8" or 9" with two different length (depth) spoons. Again not muskie specific,but might do the job. I have a couple big plugs type lures my dad made in black/gold flecks,white/red and dark green. These are about 6" or so, but fat and heavy. Again,not muskie specific,but might get the job done too. I can envision a big muskie with that black/gold fleck plug hanging out of it's mouth. Actually that pic will be going on my (and his) wall when it happens. I guess what I didn't want to do was buy a bunch of lures that were crap or so/so. I have limited funds so I have to make wise decisions and get lures that are proven (by local muskiie masters).