Does this sound like a water pump problem?

Fang

Put the water mufflers on my 2001 - 115 HP Merc in the driveway last night. Full blast with the hose and fired up the motor for the first time . Good news is the boat fired up right away and ran smooth as silk.

Bad news is I could not get any water to come out the outflow line. Switched from water mufflers to big tub and completely submerged the intake holes on the lower unit. Still no water. Pulled the hood and checked the water line from the top of the block to the outlet port and no blockage.

No problems last year with it pumping water and it water was drained fully before winterizing.

Last resort is to take it down to the boat ramp and fire it up while on the trailer and put it in gear for a bit. Would the impellers be stuck or slow to engage while in idle in the driveway. Didn't want to rev it up for fear of generating too much heat

Any other ideas???

Would the impellers be stuck or slow to engage while in idle in the driveway. Didn't want to rev it up for fear of generating too much heat

Any other ideas???

Impellors are located on the drive shaft from the motor down and just above the lower unit gears, as soon as you start the engine, it turns and starts forcing water up the cooling tube to the engine cooling passages. There's no slow to engage. It may have one or more flaps broken off and blocking the tube, hence no flow. Time for a new impellor. As a side hint, 3-4 times during the off season, I turn the flywheel 1/3 to 1/2 a turn in the same direction as the motor runs, prevents the rubber flaps on the impellor from being stuck in the same position for 6 months The impellor pump housing sits slightly off center and half the flaps are curled more than the other side when not running.

One different idea.....you checked the hose from the block--did you check the discharge fitting itself for blockage?

2x I've had crud--one time a hornet crawled in there--does'nt take muck to plug it--maybe cheaper than an impeller???

Just an idea??

Bushart

Yeah I checked the pee hole and the water port off the engine block. I fish Scugog a lot so that's something i need to do often.

When I checked the outlet port off the engine a could see a bit of smoke coming out so it was time to shut her down before it got too hot

About how much to change an impeller. I have a 9.9 Yamaha, and 15 Honda 4 stroke.

;) About 1 large Timmies or 1 beer. I just did an 8 HP Honda a couple weeks ago, 5 bolts under the lower unit, 1 cotter pin that holds the shift linkage together, slide off the whole lower leg, undo 4-5 more small bolts on the impellor cover, remove impellor, replace with new one and a little plop of vaseline, to ensure a slippery surface. Put everything back together..about 15 minutes with a healthy cursing of the cotter pin. Just don't go gorilla when you tighten things back up.

I'd take it to the lake and run it there. Mine doesn't pee in a barrel or on muffs, but its still pumping water out the exaust ports. In the lake she pees like a race horse. Don't ask me why, because I still can't figure it out.

sinker

If you checked the pee hole, and the hose that leads to it all the way down....I'd say it more than just the impeller if it worked OK last year. The water box that houses the impeller could be cracked so the impeller can't build up the presure it needs to push water......I'd take the lower off and have a look

RR

When doing a water pump!

Put it in gear. This will help to install the lower unit.

If the splines don't line up. Turn the prop in turn will turn the drive shaft.

Use hand soap on the impeller. petroleum products will brake down the rubber.

Whole job is about a hour.

just got the call back from the shop. Before they started to pull the lower unit off they put the air hose into the water line. It blew out a huge big spider weband crap from the water intake (lower unit). Started it up and instanlty it started pumping water again.

Wow never thought that a spider web would block it that much. I never thought to check it that way.

Good news no charge for that but I do need new plugs.

My 115 Merc 4 stroke EFI has a built in hose attachment at the pee hole. You want to try backflushing it by connecting the garden hose and running it through for a good long time. Mine had some mud stuck somewhere once and this did the trick.

Peter

Glad to hear it was that simple for you. I just had the same problem with my 2001 150 merc. It turned out not to be the impellar but the impellar shaft seal was melted and that allowed the water to bypass the impellar and exit where ever it could on the lower unit. coincidentally my motor won't pump water with ear muffs either i have too have it in a tub or lake to get a pee stream.