Rogers Cable (NF)

Lowe Rider

Is it just me or are these guys unbelivable. To start with it seems like the bill creeps up every few months a couple of dollars here and a couple dollars there. Tonight I come home from work and turn to the Speed channel for my 'Pinks' fix to find that it has been moved in favour of Turner Classic Movies.

No big deal right, just surf around and find it. Knowhere to be found. I called Rogers and after a long question and answer session with a computer, I got to talk to a very nice lady who told me that yes the channel has been moved and if I wish to continue watching it I must purchase digital cable and would I like to be transfered to a sales person to set that up!

I asked if this was the new way to get people to switch to digital because at almost $90 a month aready, you guys are getting enough of my money.

Of course they don't take a half a dozen of the other channels that very few watch. No they take two sports related channels (Speed and Golf) that I know of.

Anyway, is there an option out there for me other than cable for four T.V.'s and internet?

Chris.

Only thing I can suggest is to get the digital cable and get a bundle you like. You get a choice of quite a few channels that you pick. I pay $90 in my bundle that includes internet, all the normal channels up to channel 50 or 60, then I chose all the channels we watch the most, WFN, Speed, Military, etc., and the five movie channels, M1, Mpix, HBO, etc and you get a nifty little magazine telling you which new movies come out each month. You can also order Pay Per View, and at $4.99 a movie, its alot better than going to the store and then having to return the movie to the store when you're all comfy on your couch.

I'm not saying I'm happy with what I pay, but there are choices you can make that won't make it go over $90 that's for sure, you just have to be aware of the choices you have. I didn't know until I tried to get a channel one time and they told me what I had on my bundle, which was crap, so we revamped it to the stuff we liked and got rid of the rest.

Joey

I went thru the same thing last year with Look and wasn't to happy about losing speed and a few other channels.I now have Star choice satilite and internet DSL with look and It costs more money but I get all the channels I want.

vance

Cogeco (local cable company in Windsor) digital cable/internet/telephone package. All run through cable lines. About $140/month. High speed internet, unlimited long distance anywhere in North America anytime. The best deal going.

Edited by Castmaster

THE TIME HAS COME TO JUST SAY ( NO ) BECAUSE IF YOU SAY ( YES ) THE PRICE WILL KEEP ON GOING UP AND UP AND UP AND SO ON. I loved the fishing network . But when they started to charge for it. I said that's a nuff . O I miss it but I won't pay for it and still have to watch those dumm commercials. they are really making it at both ends now. BUT not from me. IT always starts out cheap but in the end they get you in the pocket book. I guess its like fishing they set the bait and we bite and they reel us in till we are dunn.

IN the last four years I have never seen the cost of things rise in price so fast and so much. YOU just can't keep up anymore. not as a employee anyway that's for sure.

MR PIKE.

ITs sad BUT ITs ALL ABOUT MONEY AND GREED THEN POWER. O I CAN'T LEAVE OUT TAXES

AND DEATH. THEY want to make sure they got it ALL before you GO.

Edited by mrpike

I hear you Chris but for me it was The Score (like to watch the Raptors on it). They took The Score off of the Basic cable listing and put it into the digital listing, and in my case, they did not replace the channel with anything else. Just shuffled the other channels around in hopes you didn't notice that you lost a channel. What pi**es me off most is that the cost is going up next month. So I get to PAY MORE FOR LESS.

When I challenged them they made up a whole host of excuses. The last is that The Score was never part of the Basic lineup, so I wasn't paying for it. So yesterday I send them a copy of the channel lineup I got with my bill a couple of months ago. Clearly it showed the The Score was part of Basic. I also sent them a link to a page on their website of their current basic listing to show them that the channels they claim weren't part of Basic are still part of Basic. Do these people think we are idiots, or just stupid?

There is a forum on Digital Home Canada that deals with Rogers, other providers and other issues dealing with TV etc. In that forum the stories are incredible on how difficult Rogers CSR are to deal with. You get one answer from one person and an different answer for another. Since Rogers essentially has a monopoly, although CRTC doesn't think so, there is nothing you can do but pay them or discontinue service.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate it when big companies rip-off the little guy. Afterall, Rogers did invent Negative Option. :angry:

I wouldn't exactly call Rogers a monopoly, a rip off yes. An uncaring business beast, yes. But there’s always the satellite providers, Bell Express View etc. Don’t know how good/bad they are.

Hawkeye, I said Rogers "essentially" is a monopoly. Yes there are other technologies out there for TV service. But in my area, Rogers is the only cable TV provider. So in my view, they have a monopoly on Cable TV.

I believe what CRTC should do is open up the cable networks, like they opened up the telephone networks and allow competition for cable tv providers. Rogers can maintain and charge for the use of the network, like telephone. More competition will keep Rogers honest and will make them stop acting like Kings.

TCM? I got some channels I will trade! They should allow you to pick and choose the basic channels offered, there was a move here to make a law about it. I have like 60 channels on my basic plan, I might watch 15 of them, no choice just stuck paying for 45 channels I don`t have an interest it.

I get flyers from satilite tv all the time, such a deal, the packages have more channels and more programming I wouldn`t(well maybe if it`s enough!) take money to watch. Like I need 3 home shopping channels? LOL How about a Bass Pro shop channel?LOL

How I miss the days of DSS - all open - all channels - all FREE!!!

Bring back DSS - Any P5 Fixes - please advise!!

there are plenty of sites out there with regard to stealing satelite signals. I don't think asking about something that is illegal in canada is the best thing to do in a fishing forum like this. young jedi... google is your friend.

there are plenty of sites out there with regard to stealing satelite signals. I don't think asking about something that is illegal in canada is the best thing to do in a fishing forum like this. young jedi... google is your friend.

it isn't be best place to be talking about it

but nothing illegal about talking about.....

and except the last 2 years of

DSS for free it was perfectly legal in canada...now it's up in the air, no one has been successfully convicted of the crime only the people making and selling the decyption equipment and copyrighted software/scripts

well to make things nastier ..in a couple of years, tv stations/cable companies have the right to send all signals in digital

so you will have to rent/buy a box and buy a package...they have you by the short ones

I believe that phone/cable/internet providers will soon be able to service any and all areas of the country. You will soon be able to use your cable tv provider for your phone service too, for example. In fact this is already happening. This move will undoubtedly create competition and drive prices down. I think. But then again, the CRTC operates in strange ways.

I'm so sick of Rogers. They have managed to lose my internet and TV so far. And when the time is right, they will be losing my cell phone service too. I complained about my cell service on the phone and on the net, I got 2 completely different answers. When I recently cancelled my TV, and they asked me why I was leaving I told them "Poor customer service" After a long pregnant pause she says "Uhh ok umm sorry bye now"

As a follow up to my earlier posting, Rogers now says that The Score was replaced with a new channel called Digital Mux (what the heck is that? :blink: ). However, this is a lie too since there are no new channels added to my line up.

Its amazing how a big company like Rogers can continue to lie and cheat and get away with it. REASON, monopoly and an impotent CRTC.

I had Rogers cell phones and Rogers Cable. I decided I didn't like them, so I went to Bell. Couple years later, Rogers has better cell phones, Bell's customer service is crap and they added $2 to my cell phone bill, but I can't cancel because I have a contract.

Its a neverending story because the reality is, they are all terrible and will make you crazy after a while.

I'm so sick of Rogers. They have managed to lose my internet and TV so far. And when the time is right, they will be losing my cell phone service too. I complained about my cell service on the phone and on the net, I got 2 completely different answers. When I recently cancelled my TV, and they asked me why I was leaving I told them "Poor customer service" After a long pregnant pause she says "Uhh ok umm sorry bye now"

That is why i changed my email to [email protected] :thumbsup_anim: When they switched from @home.com to rogers.com the service they provided for the next six months was brutal. They would offer all kinds of freebies to new customers, but the ones who stuck through all their crap got nothin but the royal finger. So i am happy to tell them my email address when they ask for it!!!

Rob C

I must be the odd ball here. I just signed up to Rogers home phone and their cell service. So far I'm really impressed. I use Star Choice for my satelite service.

Dumped Bell, terrible customer service. When I dumped ExpressVu, I was hounded by a couple of CSR's from Montreal, offering me "hi Def PVR boxes and install for free" if I would re-consider. I haven't heard anything from their land lines, but their cell CSR called and offered to re-write my contract with a lot of additional freebies.