Brookies and bows on drys, oh my!

BillM

Was fortunate enough to receive an unofficial fly lesson yesterday. I think I got the hang of it pretty quickly (less muscle, more form) and had an absolute blast for the 4hrs we were out. Let's just say the conditions were prime. No worries of tangled lines in trees (although it happened once or twice), the fish were eating up everything, and the weather actually co-operated... Thanks again Dave! It was a blast...

1ps.jpg

2ps.jpg

4ps.jpg

5ps.jpg

6ps.jpg

12ps.jpg

Edited by BillM

Bill,

That was good fun. I was impressed at how quickly you were able to get the casting stroke down after only minimal instruction.

What a night for an introduction to dry fly fishing - just remember it's not always that easy...usually the fish are far less willing!!!

Edited by wallacio

Nice Bill!! You can go ahead and put the pin away now..

Cause ya know, purists have no love for pinners!! B):lol:

cheers

HD

Fidel, it was a blast.. I've flyfished before (never with much success) so I wasn't a complete rube to how things work. It's nice when the fish co-operate though, especially the little guys.

Barbless hooks led to all fish being released unharmed (accept for the one I almost ripped out of the water on my hookset, lol) I am sure he was a little shocked..

Fidel, it was a blast.. I've flyfished before (never with much success) so I wasn't a complete rube to how things work. It's nice when the fish co-operate though, especially the little guys.

Barbless hooks led to all fish being released unharmed (accept for the one I almost ripped out of the water on my hookset, lol) I am sure he was a little shocked..

Dude. I hear ya.. I put the stuff away for years.. I love to cast, kinda like a golfer with that perfect slice-free swing, but it's just too much freaking work. Forget quality over quantity, I wanna catch fish!!

I remember my first time fishing for specks with my dad... He spent his time searching for the wee guys I hauled out in the bush behind me!! :lol:

Edited by Highdrifter

Bill,

That was good fun. I was impressed at how quickly you were able to get the casting stroke down after only minimal instruction.

What a night for an introduction to dry fly fishing - just remember it's not always that easy...usually the fish are far less willing!!!

when can I get my introductory lesson lol

Beauty catches Bill :thumbsup_anim:

What fly combo are you running for those fish? I've always wanted to try fly fishing for those resident fish but never really got around to doing it. I have a 3-5wt fly reel which I've owned for about 6-7yrs but I haven't gotten around to buying a rod or line for it :lol:

Great fish. Looks like you did quite well for your first time. I haven't fly fished in about 20 years. Now I miss it again after seeing your post.

Joey

Well you know where the fly rod is kept Joey.. use it when you come up!

Great stuff Bill !!!!!

Beauty catches Bill :thumbsup_anim:

What fly combo are you running for those fish? I've always wanted to try fly fishing for those resident fish but never really got around to doing it. I have a 3-5wt fly reel which I've owned for about 6-7yrs but I haven't gotten around to buying a rod or line for it :lol:

It's just a Temple Forks 2pc 4wt 8' combo I picked up at BPS. I think the entire thing with a bunch of flies was around $150 or so. The reel isn't very important, all it does is hold line :) Came ready to go with line, leader, etc... Nice little setup if you ask me, perfect for these little guys.

I don't know what type of tippet Dave put on for me, but I would guess it was 2-3lb flouro.