OOS pics

Jigger

Just want to direct you to line 6 of the rules guys. I can understand that you got a sweet fish. But if its OOS, theres no reason to keep it out of the water, let alone have a moment to get the camera out and take a pic. I probably wouldn't say anything if it was one post. But thats 3 in a week. More bass are going to be caught as the season gets closer. Especially on the May long weekend, as the bass are on their nests, there is a valuable conservation mindset that every moment off the nest is precious. Please keep it to yourselves. By posting and keeping a pic of an OOS fish on the board, you're giving the impression that its "just a few seconds out of the water, no big deal". This validates other thread starters who in turn post more OOS pics of their personal best bass.

To the thread starters in question. I was going to PM you guys with this message, but thought it may be better as a small reminder of our common goal. A better fishery. Its a topic that comes up every year, so don't think this is a personal attack. Hope you can get that PB when the seasons are all open and you can strut your stuff with pride!

I agree 110%... this time of year it dosent take any skill to catch a giant bass!! the Bass are only hitting your baits to protect there nests and young. if u pull a fish off its bed other fish like panfish, gobies ect. come in and devour everything in the nest. you are putting to much stress on the bass if you take the time to photograph it this time of year. I was on simcoe for pike today and the bass were everywhere, u just have to be responsible and change up your location if you start catching too many bass. we always move out of an area if we catch two or more out of season fish, we not only do this to protect the bass... we also have our ethics when it comes to fishing.

on a good note i was happy to see that all of the bass hooked, hardly any were brought into the boat. almost all fish were released at the side of the boat with the help of some needle nose plyers.

The bass population isn't hurting anywhere I know of.

Sinker

As of yet... ;)

I could say the same thing about lake ontario steelhead, that lake has huge numbers of fish. what if i went out of my way to catch a fish that was out of season or in a sanctuary (past the CN bridge) and post it? the fish was caught then relesed nothing wrong there... right??

Wheres the can of worms, where is it!? O my god its open :whistling:

I don't think its a huge deal but i do get mad for the sole reason that I can't go fishing for what you caught! makes me jealous :D I personally don't think we should even have a closed season but I do respect it and follow the laws. In most places fishing for spawning bass is a moral/ethical question. Here in Ontario its a legal one. I don't think its wrong to fish for bass during the spawn but i do think its wrong to target bass on beds. Even when there are bass on beds there are also usually bass finished spawning and bass that haven't spawned yet. I guess most people don't understand that and I guess that's a big reason why we have a closed season. If you catch a bass off a bed and keep out away for more than a minute or two it probably won't go back to the bed and all those eggs will get eaten. Fish that aren't spawning I don't think it has any affect on them really when their caught. And I gotta say it does take skill to catch a big bass on a bed, not as easy as you think! When I lived in Florida where there was no closed season we'd catch more big fish when the spawn had finished. I found it a lot harder to catch a big bass off a bed with lures than after the spawn finished using a big shiner under a float. But after seeing the affect that taking bass off beds had, I stopped fishing for bass that were on beds, because morally/ethical I felt bad about it. When you take a bass of a bed and it goes back to the bed the fish loses all its color, looks pale, its eyes look weird (it basically looks like its cracked out) This was in Florida where I could legally fish for bedding bass. Just my two cents on the bass season.....What was this topic about again? I think I need another beer.

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

Post em if you got 'em I say.

No harm in taking a pic.

The bass population isn't hurting anywhere I know of.

Sinker

Says the the walleye fisherman. Whats next? Guys posting pb musky pics that they got fishing walleye? Point is, if you're taking OOs fish, which find their way onto your line alot at this time of year, they should be released as soon as possible. Unless you plan on harvesting that fish, which is illegal because they're OOS, the priority should be in the the best interest of your catch. Having the fish out of the water for more time than is required stresses the fish out which could lead to an unsuccessful spawn. Theres also predation from other species to consider when the bass are on their nests as pikie already mentioned.

it is not against the law to take a picture of a OOS fish, so if you catch fish that screams out to you to take it's picture, then do it.

do,'t let other peoples morals influence you, it has nothing to do with the law

but you may want to respect the rules of this board and not post it, cause many self rightest people will complain

There's many sides to this one.....and the moral high ground is a slippery slope.

If you catch a spawning fish on a windy day and during fighting the fish you blow 50-100 yards down the lake--how long will it take to get back to it's nest? about as long as a snapshot?

IF we're looking for the moral highground---lets discuss the "Tournament" bass anglers targeting these fish 2-3 weeks prior to opener.

I live beside a very popular bass tourney lake and witness this with my own eyes while out for walleyes.

Maybe we should all move to northwestern Ontario where the season does'nt close and you can catch spawning bass till your arms fall off. Rules say You can.

I wish everyone luck because enforcing ethics is far different than teaching them

Bushart

but we don't need to apply moral or ethics to fishing for bass before season is open

it is against the law period no need for discussion call tips and turn them in......

but if you catch one while fishing for crappie, that is a whole different story and if you want to take a picture it;s not against the law, so is it really any of our business...hate the law not the person acting within the law, don't fight the person obeying the law, fight the law makers

if it is not against the law.....leave people alone

Says the the walleye fisherman. Whats next? Guys posting pb musky pics that they got fishing walleye? Point is, if you're taking OOs fish, which find their way onto your line alot at this time of year, they should be released as soon as possible. Unless you plan on harvesting that fish, which is illegal because they're OOS, the priority should be in the the best interest of your catch. Having the fish out of the water for more time than is required stresses the fish out which could lead to an unsuccessful spawn. Theres also predation from other species to consider when the bass are on their nests as pikie already mentioned.

Actually, I'm a multi species angler. I fish for everything.......well, except bass :P

Seriously though, a stupid bass hits your line while your fishing for something in season. You reel it in, take a pic, release. Same thing you'd do any other time of year. Catch, photo, release. If you don't want to harm them, don't fish so shallow. I dunno.......stuff happens. The time it takes for a picture isn't gonna hurt 'em.

I guess now taking pics of OOS bass is going to decimate the population? :rolleyes: There are prolly more bass in most ontario lakes than there has been for years.

Sinker

As long as you didn't intentionally trying to catch those OOS species (for example: using a freaking 4 inches tube during panfish only period), taking a snap won't do any harm as long as you do it fast... If someone is saying a couple of second would kill a fish, then everyone should unhook any OOS species in water rather than taking them out of water to unhook...

Just do it fast then release if you are "lucky" enough to catch OOS fish.

Guest gbfisher

Where is it written in the regulations that you cannot take pictures of OOS fish?

I'm glad I don't let others interpret the regs for me.....lol..... :wallbash: