Putting outboard on my canoe

Craig

Just wondering. I have a 16ft older kevlar canoe. Weighs about 40lbs or less.

I wanted to hit a couple of back lakes but don't feel like paddling against the wind anymore.

I was looking at the Suzuki 2.5hp at 30lbs or the merc 2.5hp at 38 lbs.

Are there any issues I need to be aware of putting a small outboard on this type of canoe?

I thought about electric but carrying that battery around turned me off.

I should clarify. It's not a square back. I'll need a side mount bracket.

Anything I should know.

Thanks everyone.

How will you be mounting it? Also it may change the initail stability of the canoe i.e it will seem tippy to side the motor is mounted.

If mounting to the gunwale please note that the kevlar may crack form the motor's torque.

Also I would test out your set up before hand. Any issues would be better to discover before your trip. Don't ask me how I know :)

Side brackets can seriously upset your weight balance. A wave or even worse a boat wake can flip you easily. About 6 years ago I had to rescue 2 people in the middle of Wildwood Reservoir. A boat wake flipped them and their canoe with a side mounted motor. Of course everything in the canoe including fishing gear and his wallet were lost to the bottom.

Be Safe: Rick

just balance it out and get a motor for each side! if money is a concern or you dont want to get rid of the canoe cause who knows it may be great grand papas then i say rig something up and test it out, go to kinsmen pond or something and give it a try. if not just find a flat back, also most back lakes have boats stashed at them. dont mind giving away this back lake your thinking of? :P if you need a buddy to come along im more then willing to go, im layed off and i have nothing to do. and i already have a minn kota and just toss the battery in a back pack.

just balance it out and get a motor for each side! if money is a concern or you dont want to get rid of the canoe cause who knows it may be great grand papas then i say rig something up and test it out, go to kinsmen pond or something and give it a try. if not just find a flat back, also most back lakes have boats stashed at them. dont mind giving away this back lake your thinking of? :P if you need a buddy to come along im more then willing to go, im layed off and i have nothing to do. and i already have a minn kota and just toss the battery in a back pack.

Just wondering if I should fork out the $1000 for a motor. The other responses got me nervous.

Work at Essar?

those 2.5hp mercs are very nice, i believe h&s has 09s for a 1000 plus taxes. but they do put out alot of power for a canoe, my buddy has one and it will go faster then an old 7.5hp evinrude. no i wasnt working at essar, i worked at fitzpatrick industries in industrial court. i say tinker around a bit, im sure you can rig up something that works, besides if your fishing a back lake theres normally zero waves or other ppl. put your gear in 5gallon buckets and wear a life jacket incase the worst happens.

i hate paddlin as much as the next dude, but wouldnt do that!

i hooked up a 32lb thrust minnkota to my 90lb coleman canoe and it MOTORS on my backlakes, not neaRly as much of a weight issue to deal with.

the only canoes ive seen with outboards are the old colemans with the flat back

minnkota goin for less than $200 at CTC n basspro

i mount my minn kota to the side of my canoe all the time, never had an issue with the weight dispersion.

just slow down if your makin a sharp turn and put a pail of sand in the front when flying solo.

works like a charm!

I mount it right to the side of the canoe, just behind my seat. hopefully the motor has a telescopic handle and you can stretch it out in front of you. The closer the motor is to the back of the canoe, the easier it will be to manouver.

You wont need any special mounts, i just put pieces of wood on either side of the bracket to ensure it clamps on flush.

if the batt cable can stretch to the front of the canoe, problem solved, otherwise i would suggest a bucket half full of sand to keep the nose down.

my minn kota is, i think, 35ft/lbs of thrust and she boogies a hell of a lot faster than i can paddle her! if your is kevlar it prolly motors even more!

good luck!

I don't have a thought on this one way or another (because I don't have a clue) but I wanted to say the quality of responses on this thread have been top notch. This is what makes this community great.

Jim

Edited by Radnine

Grumman use to make a very nice 14' square stern canoe that was extra wide. Great for carrying a moose quarter. I would suggest checking a couple sites for one of these.

A camp operator use to keep a couple on Upper Medicine Stone lake (NW Ont) and we would borrow it for a day when we hunted the lake. They were great. I onwned a couple aluminum canoes back then but the Grumman was the best handling in frigid waters. You don't want to upset at this time of year.

Just remember as soon as you put a motor, gas or electric, on any water craft you need your Operators Card.

Canoe, surf board, even a pontoon or float tube.

You're still ok till sept with a 14'

I'm working on getting an old 2 hp running. If you think about it long enough you can use it to give it a try before you dump a grand buying one to test it.

I need a gas tank for a 2 hp evinrude about a 1975 model

been using a 2hp johnson on our 16 foot, side mounted, usually 2-3 people in the canoe, never a problem.

Just curious, was it Kevlar?

I agree, these are amazing responses. Thank you everyone.

In summary, I understand putting a outboard on a canoe is okay as long as it's built for it. My old kevlar likely is not. However a light electric motor would be a good option and somehow put the battery near the front to offset my weight in the back.

With a 30 or 36 lb thrust motor can I troll around all day? (battery life) Lake trout is right around the corner up here!

Thanks again everyone!