ILLEGAL USE OF A 'COMMUNAL' FISHING BUCKET?

Photoz

Several years ago I read a post on another board where someone was screaming about getting tagged by a C. O. on the ice on Lake Simcoe for being over the limit on perch. Apparently he and 2 pals were using ONE pail to put ALL their perch in. After checking licenses and gear, the C. O. asked who's pail had the perch in it. When they answered they were ALL using the container, they were curtly told they had to keep 'em seperate, so they could be counted accurately, if required? He then decided the pail must belong to the guy whom he'd seen drop the last fish in! He took a count . . . about 60 fish, and proceeded to write this guy up for exceeding the limit, took his gear & ALL of the fish. Apparently they often get people coming off the ice, or docking a boat with their spot checks, who have fish belonging to several people, all in one container? Now, with the relatively new law that puts limits on crappie & even sunfish (Zone 16 for 1) it appears there MIGHT be a way to put a stop to people keeping 'bucketfuls' of these small fish? Even though I'm pretty sure there is a law concerning 'pooling' fish in a 'communal' container, I can't seem to find any mention of it in the 2008 / 2009 Regulations Summary? Can anyone tell me under what part of the fishing regulations this would be listed. I'd like to print it out and carry it in my vest? Thanks in advance.

Possession Steve.... the guy carrying the bucket is in possession. It's all they need if they want to be pricks. Consider the charter boat.. 6 guys.. 12 salmon in the ice box.. who's are they?? If they follow the bucket arguement they would be the boat owners and he should be charged. Isn't going to happen.. so the bucket guys should be fighting in court (if they actually caught less than the limit each)

WOW, waiting in the WEEDS to nail one of three people who put all their fish in one Bucket. I could think of alot better ways to spend their time and effort nailing Poachers. One would not be at the Tim Hortons Donut shop parking lot just outside of Vaughn where one young Whippersnapper decided to Question me on the way to the Airport. The picture of Deer on my Sweater must of caught his eye.

Most COs are good...some of them seem to have an attitude like if you're on the lake or in the bush, you MUST be doing SOMETHING illegal...they just have to look hard enough to discover what it is. I guess they get jaded after a while and begin to think everyone is out to screw the system.

I would think it falls under the transporting of fish, whether already cleaned or not and in part states the CO must be able to ascertain the number of fish in YOUR possession and the species of fish in YOUR possession, therefore, I would not pool my fish in one bucket regardless of how many hands are making small work of transporting the bucket. Separate bags maybe inside one larger bag or bucket, but keep them separate for an easy count.

I'm guessing that there may have been a bit more to this story than was told . . . like maybe some attitude showed when they were bein' checked . . . . which is NOT a good idea, with any law enforcement personnel, ESPECIALLY a C. O. Personally it has been pretty rare that I've ever got a hard time from any of 'em. They not only have all the cards, THEY OWN THE DECK!

Probably not so much a possession issue as a "party fishing" issue. Forget exactly where it is, but look through the regs and you'll find some commentary on this. Long story short, each individual's limit needs to be kept separate. Combine them all in one pail and you're at risk of being tagged.

The intent with this was to stop one or two guys from keeping over their limit, saying the fish are for everyone in their group.

I agree with Craig_Ritchie

three guys can`t just fish till they reach 150 fish

the MNR saw it as party fishing

all the cop had to do is say how many did you catch each

and if their 3 numbers didn`t add up to the exact amount of fish in the bucket, then they are breaking the law

It's not hard to keep fish separate even in a communal bucket or ice chest. Each person can have their own different colored cheap poly stringer, or a simple paper punch can be taken along. No hole in that tail for mine, one hole for yours, and 2 holes for someone elses. We do it all the time on deep sea fishing "party" boats... all it takes it just a moment of preplanning.

Attitude has a lot to do with the way you're treated when being stopped by a CO or police officer!!! If you're polite and respectful, most of the time they will be too... if you're going to be an :asshat: , they'll be an even bigger :asshat: !

It's not really that hard to figure out!

Probably not so much a possession issue as a "party fishing" issue. Forget exactly where it is, but look through the regs and you'll find some commentary on this. Long story short, each individual's limit needs to be kept separate. Combine them all in one pail and you're at risk of being tagged.

The intent with this was to stop one or two guys from keeping over their limit, saying the fish are for everyone in their group.

So would this apply to a boat? I only have one livewell in my boat and what if myself and 2 other fisherman are fishing for walleyes for example ,I can only keep my fish in the livewell and my buddies have to use there own indavidual stringer or pail?

So would this apply to a boat? I only have one livewell in my boat and what if myself and 2 other fisherman are fishing for walleyes for example ,I can only keep my fish in the livewell and my buddies have to use there own indavidual stringer or pail?

I'd be interested in finding the answer to this one as well. I fish for salmon every year on a charter boat and we all catch a few fish. I'd like to think we're doing the right thing as far as being within our limit, should we be using different colored tags??

So how about this scenario? I am in a bass tournament with a co-angler. We are going to weigh in our 5 biggest fish. We have caught 8 between us and now we decide to cull the 3 smallest. As we are culling the CO arrives and asks how many bass I have in my livewell (keep in mind that I have but one livewell in my boat). I tell him we have eight. We both have sport fishing licenses and I have caught 5 bass and my partner has caught 3. Nothing illegal has happened but it is similar to the bucket. I can't prove that I didn't catch all 8 and because it is my boat and my livewell am I going to be charged? I don't think this charge would stand in court. I find that hard to believe.

I do my best to stay within the law when I am out fishing and I truly do not believe that I would have commited a wrong if I were to do what was written in my above scenario.

If the fish are all in one container, you gotta be able to tell which ones are yours.

You can't fish off of somebody elses limit. We have teased each other about that for years. When I got my 5, I would put my rod down, put my feet up and say...well, I'm done :P

In theory, yes, you need to be able to tell who belongs to which fish whether you're using a livewell or a fish box or a cooler or whatever.

In reality, I've never had a CO ask. I guess it depends whether or not he/she feels party fishing is taking place.

If the fish are all in one container, you gotta be able to tell which ones are yours.

You can't fish off of somebody elses limit. We have teased each other about that for years. When I got my 5, I would put my rod down, put my feet up and say...well, I'm done :P

I dont want to turn this into a EATEM UP CHRONZEY :glare: debate and have the thread locked out but I have heard him mention keeping fish and using extra rods based on the licensed camera man in the boat .There is no mention of him fishing since he is working the camera yet they have his allowed 2 rods out while trolling Lake Ontario for example and account for his allowed daily limit