now THAT was expensive bait

Rizzo

Was looking for some emerald shiners yesterday for some hammerhandle pike action. Because I know a dozen at Simcoe Bait and Tackle is 5.00 I didn't worry that I only had 8.00 with me. When I stopped there they had no minnows. No problem, I know there's a place in Fesserton on the way north called Huronia Bait and Tackle. Unfortunately my 8.00 wouldn't get me a dozen there. 6 crappy little emerald shiners cost me 6.45! Broke my bank but at least I still got to fish a bit.

ya, I was pretty surprised by the price. Expecting a good day I would have bought more minnows but they didn't take credit card. Luckily I did have a good day on the water. Had some frozen chubs (4 inch) with me to so I split my time between the shiners (2.5 inch) and dead bait on bottom. Ended up going 7 for 13 in only 3 hours so the fish were really on. Live bait and dead bait were pretty much equally effective. All pike were typical 2 pound snotrockets.

ya buddy im also wondering where u heard that? friend's of mine have a small pond on there property with goldfish in it...... they dont take them out over winter, and every spring the goldies are still in it.

Laws are a bit different here in the states than up there, with good reason. We are more of a warm water fishery, trout except stocked species are a tough deal to find here. Some of the large baitfish will compete with trout for food. Not a good idea though to ever use any baitfish that isn`t found naturally in the waters you are fishing.

xeon, a very good list. It`s been a long time since I have been to Ontario, but even the bait stores up there that I went to made mistakes, Granted it is hard to look at every "minnow?" in the tank, but I have gotten small smalmouth, small brook trout and a moon eye as bait from bait stores up there.

Ya goldfish are carp, and tougher than you think, they were in Lake Erie when I was a kid and still are. Back in the winters of 78-79 which were pretty severe for us here a lot of small lakes and ponds had massive fish kills. Too much ice and snow on top the ice, oxygen depletion kills. Seemed like it killed everything but the carp and goldfish in some waters, a lot had to be restocked.

Not unusual here to be fishing along the shores of Lake Erie and see a 2-4 pound goldfish swimming around, usually have to get into calmer back bays and tribs to see smaller ones.

Back in the 60`s I used to see carp at Pointe Au Baril, sort of a surprise to me as a kid, I also thought the waters were too cold for them.

Goldfish are a type of carp" carassius auratus", the common carp is "cyprinus carpio". They can and do interbreed to create hybrids. Gold fish do not grow near as big a common carp do. A 4 lber would be a big one. Koi are the same fish as common carp except they have been bred for colour. They do get big and can be very expensive to buy. None of them should be used as bait.