Pier Fishing

rapala14

I'm pretty sure this topic has been on this board before but i just can't help myself... Went out and hit the pier in search of some rainbows a couple days ago (as did a whole lot of other people that morning haha) and i've got my trusty extendable handled net with me, of course. But heres what gets me, there are always people fishing on the pier that don't have or have access to a net to successfully land there fish, if they get one. Its not like i really mind lending my net out to someone so they can land there fish, but to me, you kinda shouldn't be out pier fishing without one. What if everyone decided to rely on everyone else to have one? I didn't start pier fishing till last year because i couldn't afford an extendable net till then (and never got one for christmas <_< ). Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Don't sweat the small stuff. Some people don't plan ahead like you do. Next time just tell them, you should get a net so you can land that fish! Heck I let people use my stuff all the time. I'm just thankful I can afford the stuff.

Two idiots forgot their ice auger last year after a 30min walk into a lake. I laughed at them, but Im not that much of an excellent person to tell them their truck is the other way. I figured if I forgot my auger, would I really like to get an ear full from someone I dont know about forgetting things?

Probably would make the situation worse if you told them no, and you'd probably get your line crossed over a few more times that day than normal. And I know you want to say no, but you kinda have to bite your lip those situations.

I don't mind lending my net, or helping land a fish on the pier. I figure why just stand there and watch someone struggle, or lose a fish? I'd rather help them, and get in on the action a little bit too. Last fall I spent countless hours on the pier trying to catch Salmon, and didn't catch a damn thing. But it was some of the most fun times I've had due to the positive and interesting interactions I had with other GTA anglers trying to catch giant Chinooks.. Why not lend a hand..or a net? Some day you might need that hand in return..

:whistling:Just wait till you get handed back a broken net once or twice? I paid for my net, and didn't ask anybody to chip in . . . . it's NOT a community net, so if you are gonna fish where a net is essential . . . . BUY A NET, like I did! (When I got a SECOND net broken, I quit loaning! :angry:

Lol, I have to admit I do this often.. but I have to walk from my house so I don't like carrying a net all the way down there.

I could see how that could get annoying but I can tell you one thing, it sure beats drilling holes for people who decide to go ice fishing without an auger :huh::dunno:

I am trying to figure out how do people break nets when trying to land fish.

Yea piers are a little bit high but do the handles snap or the netting?

I wouldnt mind handing out my net or even helping somebody land a fish. How often do you see a guy catch a salmon off a pier nowadays anyway :P

Don't sweat the small stuff. Some people don't plan ahead like you do. Next time just tell them, you should get a net so you can land that fish! Heck I let people use my stuff all the time. I'm just thankful I can afford the stuff.

Im pretty sure most of those pier fisherman can afford a net also.... I mean it costs a lot less than a custom sage and an ang spec reel! Whenever i fish salmon or steel be it winter,spring or fall i always put my net in my truck. A lot of the same faces out on the piers thats the only saving grace to the regulars with no net!

I am trying to figure out how do people break nets when trying to land fish.

Yea piers are a little bit high but do the handles snap or the netting?

I wouldnt mind handing out my net or even helping somebody land a fish. How often do you see a guy catch a salmon off a pier nowadays anyway :P

When you try to scoop a 25lb chinny, and don't pull the net up vertical, the handle will snap quite easy. The netting is fine, but the handle can't take the weight horizontally.

Sinker

When you try to scoop a 25lb chinny, and don't pull the net up vertical, the handle will snap quite easy. The netting is fine, but the handle can't take the weight horizontally.

Sinker

Thought it was a common sense pulling a fish that heavy vertically, you would need a steel handle to lift that fish horizontally.

Thought it was a common sense pulling a fish that heavy vertically, you would need a steel handle to lift that fish horizontally.

Like I said, some people just don't "know". At least the guy who broke mine was nice enough to pay for it :P

Heh decision time......you're next to a guy on the pier.

He has a nice brown hooked.

It's his first one.

He has it hooked on his Rapala by the rear hook only, and there's two dangling trebles you just KNOW are going to end up in a ball of mesh.

What do you do?

P.S. After this weekend I have two nice holes in my net. Aargh.

Heh decision time......you're next to a guy on the pier.

He has a nice brown hooked.

It's his first one.

He has it hooked on his Rapala by the rear hook only, and there's two dangling trebles you just KNOW are going to end up in a ball of mesh.

What do you do?

P.S. After this weekend I have two nice holes in my net. Aargh.

Are you sure its not an atlantic?? :lol::P

Lending a net is no diffferent to me than helping someone stuck in a snow drift, out on Simcoe. You help because it's the right thing to do... you lend your net for the same reasons. If you don't, well, the Karma gods will find you.

If you don't want to lend it out, why not net it for them yourself? I guess I'm a little more open to helping others then some here.

If yah lent your net and it comes back broken, you got no one to blame but yourself. If you help them land the fish, you may end up with a friend, future fishing partner etc... to my mind, that's worth a heck of a lot more than the value of a net.

HH

I never thought it was a big deal to scoop someones fish?

Same as when Im in the river and someone who is alone hooks a fish near me...I always offer to land it for them. Sometimes you get a no thanks I got it, sometimes you make a fishin buddy

seems like a simple thing to do to me