Steelhead Spinning Reel

ADB

Shimano symetre, or a shimano stradic. If you got a low budget diawa regal or shimano sedona. I would go with size 1500, 2000, or 2500 tops depending on the size of the rivers you will be fishing mostly.

Your main focus should be on a reel with a smooth drag ! I used a stradic 3000 a quantum pti 20 tour and a daiwa tierra 2500 !all of them have been good to me! If your bottom bouncing somewhere like the niagara river you'll probably want something with a lil higher line cap for the big runs and strong currents !

It really depends on if you are going to concentrate on floating in small rivers. If you going to do that then I would take whatever rod you are going to use and take the reel that balances best on it.

I spend a lot of my time steelheading off of the piers either floating or bottom bouncing so I use a Pflueger President 6740. It has enough line capacity to fish the piers or the lake itself where long runs are the rule not the exception. The drag is good enough to use when I float but I actually perfer to fish open bail when drifting or floating. The Pflueger President line of reels is about half the price of the symetre from Shimano and 10 times as smooth. I have had mine from 3 yrs now and only missed about 5 weekends each year from September 1st till opening week so they have seen a lot of use and have held up great.

I use the Pflueger Trion spinning reel and have never had any issues with it. It's inexpensive and has lasted me two years of fighting steelhead in the tribs, huge fall walleye and kawartha muskies! This reel has been dropped in the water, had mud and sand all over and in it....just clean it once a year and it's still going strong.

I agree that a good sensitive drag is key though...

Edited by ccmt

Yes, love that old school choice. I use the Tournament (or affectionately knows as Tank) SS700 and 1300 depending on the size of river. Both my reels are over 10 years old and are a smooth as the day they were bought. I missed out on the reel trade in at BPS. Forgot to put my kids old spincast reel in as I was gonna pick up a new 1300. BPS sells the Daiwa Tournament 1300 for $85 or so and that would have been $15 off with the trade in.

Gotta love reels that don't have an internal bail spring.

I've been running a Shimano Stradic 2000 for the last 10 years for my spinner and bottom bouncing fishing. I've dunked it in water, dropped it in mud and bashed it against rocks when I took a nasty spill and it keeps on ticking. Serviced it only twice in the time I've had it. Buttery smooth drag. I'm guessing the newer models would be just as good.

Also impressed with my dad's Daiwa Advantage in the 2000 size. Fantastic little reel.

If your looking to spend more than $150 I highly suggest getting an entry level pin instead.... I guarantee way more satisfaction out of the game using a pin.

agreed.

just can't explain the feeling of fighting fish on the pin.

Count me among the old schoolers - I've landed thousands of steelhead on Daiwa Tournament SS 1300 Whisker reels (along with everything else, from walleye to sharks). I also like the newer SS II 2000 or 2500 Whiskers, which are essentially the same reel but with an internal bail trip. Both are discontinued, but you can find minty examples on eBay all the time.

I also have a bunch of Shimano Stradics and Symetre reels I use for bass and walleye fishing. They're nice reels too, but the difference in drag performance between them and the Whiskers is like day and night. Absolutely nothing beats a Whisker.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Yes, love that old school choice. I use the Tournament (or affectionately knows as Tank) SS700 and 1300 depending on the size of river. Both my reels are over 10 years old and are a smooth as the day they were bought. I missed out on the reel trade in at BPS. Forgot to put my kids old spincast reel in as I was gonna pick up a new 1300. BPS sells the Daiwa Tournament 1300 for $85 or so and that would have been $15 off with the trade in.

Gotta love reels that don't have an internal bail spring.

Best Drags on the market

Craig_Ritchie,

Daiwa still makes the Whisker, its made in China now instead of Japan,

SS II has been discontinued.

Yup, I know. Sorry ... meant the SS II 2000 and 2500 are both discontinued. I should have been clearer.

I saw an SS II 2000 on eBay a few weeks ago, basically in unused condition with the original box and accessories. I think it sold for about $75. Now, I kick myself for not having bid on it. I'd like another one to go with the one I have.

Thanks for the respones, everyone.

I think I'm leaning towards the Whisker at this point, but I'm going to look into some pins as well, as a few of you suggested.

Thanks again.