Was My Car Keyed? NF

Tarzan's Jane

If it was keyed i would think the lines would be straight. At least they were on my car i had years ago. Is it scratched right down to bare metal ? If not it wont rust.

Try this first.

Wet your finger and touch the scratch. Is the scratch gone? If it is then just the clear coat has been removed. Buy a touch up of Clear Coat and put a very small amount on the scratch.

I'm not certain as to what kind of a scratch a key makes....but now I'm more concerned about rust. Looking for suggestions on how to fix this without needing a complete paint job.

Looks like you parked in a real estate office pkg lot. We're forever getting scratches like that on our cars from oversized purses and briefcases. Very frustrating.

There are rubbing compounds available that might restore the colour if the scratch isn't too deep. You might ask your favourite body shop guy if it's easily curable.

JF

You will probably always see the indent of the clear coat that was removed, but itll shine back up with some car care products. 3M makes a series of good products, but not cheap and they dont sell trial size just for one scratch. But you can probbaly get that looking pretty good with just some flannel cloth and some hand buffing. I used to use this system. 3M.........Rubbing compound/Finnesse/hand glaze/wax. Somebody you know has to have an electric buffer, that will help.......but i would say in the end..........if you want it completely removed........take it to a shop and tell them you know what it takes to fix it, theyll fill it with clear, wet sand it and buff it out, tell them to keep it real and dont bill you like your an idiot.

To me it looks like it's not all the way to the metal. Either way you want to touch it up. You can go to the dealer and get a small bottle of touch of paint if the car is a late model. OR you can go to a auto part store and pick some up that either is a perfect match or very similar paint. If you have to purchase spray paint DON'T spray the car. Instead shake the can up very well and spray some in the inside of the cap that came with the paint so it puddles up a little bit. Then take a match, the kind that are come in a book that you tear out and use the part that tore as you little paint brush. This is a professional tip that I have used for YEARS to touch up scratches.

I really hate to see a car keyed. To me it's just a HUGE waste.

Good Luck,

Bob

What I can tall from the photo, is it's a surface scratch.

3000 grit sandpaper some water to wet the paper, a little bit of elbow grease.

work in a small circler motion.

If this does not work. it's deeper then it looks.

Then it will need to be prep and repainted.

Five star collision in Grimsby

LOL, drive five hours to get a scratch repaired?

Sorry about the scratch Nancy. I was going to leave a note but I was in a rush. But seriously, it kinda looks like a shopping cart rash or a baby stroller... as someone else mentioned, a key scratch is typically straight.

Good luck with the repair, I hope it doesn't cost too much.