Wire line PICS ADDED

tinbanger

Was looking at options for trolling for trout and downriggers are not an option right now ($)

Lead core , weights and wireline are some other options.

Then I remembered my dads old trout rod , a Penn Peerless no.9 with wire! its on a 5' glass rod .

May need some new wire ( does this stuff get old ?) and probably a tune up / cleaning .

From what I have been reading a long Mono leader is a nessesity for some give . its a pretty soft rod with a spring tip .

DSCF1434.jpgDSCF1433.jpg

Anyone else use wire line and suggest what knots work best .

If nothing else I am really looking forward to useing that old rod , now all I need is a leaking flatbottom wood boat and 1950 5hp Johnson :)

TB

Edited by tinbanger

wire divers are deadly!!!

wire isnt all that expensive, I would probably change it over time is gets kinks and bends that weaken it. Better to change the line then loose a trophy fish.

If im not mistaken I used a albright knot between the wire and the braid backing. you then need to attach a snubber to the wire.

The snubber attaches to the diver. I then add a lead long enough that I can still land the fish. remember you cant reel past the diver so too long of lead will become a problem when landing fish.

wire divers are deadly!!!

wire isnt all that expensive, I would probably change it over time is gets kinks and bends that weaken it. Better to change the line then loose a trophy fish.

If im not mistaken I used a albright knot between the wire and the braid backing. you then need to attach a snubber to the wire.

The snubber attaches to the diver. I then add a lead long enough that I can still land the fish. remember you cant reel past the diver so too long of lead will become a problem when landing fish.

Thanks Troutguy , didn't think about diver AND wire .Also good tip on the leader as I will most often be alone .

TB

trout/salmon guys use 7-strand wire with their dipsy divers and dipsy rods 9'6"+

we run single strand for muskie in the fall using el cheapo 7' muskie rods that have a softer tip. tip can be the coil door stopper from your bathroom.. or you can spend the $5 for a real twilly.

haywire twist is a popular knot.

Edited by Raf

My brother used to use it before he got down riggers on his boat. Yes it works, he used it on long light action rods with steel guides because he said the wire would tear up ceramic guides and the light action rods were a shock absorber, no stretch to the wire to do it, think he may have also used a mono leader.

Sort of an old school technique for deep water trolling, used to see the setups in flea markets and garage sales. Mikey used to use it on Lake Erie for suspended walleye during the summer. Never tried it myself, never that interest in walleye to work that hard.

From what older anglers( dad and his friends) told me that was a pretty popular setup for anglers here that fished the finger lakes area of New York for Lake Trout, finger lakes have some deep water.

Old Penn reels were reliable and tough, my first big fish reel.

wire for muskies on the shield is a great tool. Allows you to get down 20-30' with only 40-60' of wire out. Pretty darn close to a 2:1 line-out to depth ratio with the big deep runners like plows & lunge lockers. Makes putting your bait on the structure much easier.

wire for muskies on the shield is a great tool. Allows you to get down 20-30' with only 40-60' of wire out. Pretty darn close to a 2:1 line-out to depth ratio with the big deep runners like plows & lunge lockers. Makes putting your bait on the structure much easier.

Wow! Musky on 40 feet of wire. It would feel like the fish had your hand/arms in its mouth.

I started out using wire setups like yours in the late sixties on Lake Joseph.

Great to get your lure down to 65-80 FOW. You really have to be aware of any kinks and straighten them out right away.

I eventually changed over to a braided line similar to downrigger wire but in the 60# class made by Mason .

Then I moved onto downriggers.

With the single strand, the only knot possible is to feed your line through the snap a couple of times ,then twist the loose end around the main line.

Another good idea would be to use a gibbs rudder blade in front of your mono leader.

Gang troll were the way to go when wire lining.