hand held GPS question

kickingfrog

Yeah another vote for Garmin, I've had mine for 4 years most of the time strapped to the handle bars of a motorcycle. Very durable, weather proof and easy to use. I think CT has some hand helds on for half price right now.

i bought a magellan sportrak about 3 years ago...

it locked up the first day... took it back, got another one...

same thing happened to it 2 days later...

Buy a garmin, i've got a garmin gpsmap76 now and no issues...

only thing i'll add is, get one that has more memory or that has the ability to add memory cards to...

i bought one in the fall and it was a serious pain getting all the maps and such loaded on it, even a computer god cant figure it out. only took 3 of us about 4hours to get it working. but after that mine has worked great.

ahhh soooo true, i gave up tring to load the maps not enough patience.

still have the maps and the hand held gps sitting in the box's anyone want it! lol

I have a magellan, and I really liked it more than my garmin, until it just up and quit on me. Its a lot more user friendly I found. If it didn't just croak on me, I'd use it all the time.

The garmin has been flawless though....

Sinker

Please do yourself a favour and DO NOT buy Magellan.

There are many, many reasons other than WAAS not to buy Magellan.

Search around on the net for the CS issues, you will find lots.

Buy a Garmin!

By the way - I do have a Magellan.....

My Magellan 315 has no issues. I actually compared it with my Garmin I just bought and found the Garmin can learn a thing or two off a Magellan. Its called being user friendly by not having to scroll through a dozen pages that a garmin forces you to find a key setting. Then again I used a Magellan during the cease fire in the first Gulf war establishing a Border. Good enough for the Military, good enough for me. Don"t count them out.

DO NOT buy a Magellan. I have had one sitting in basement and gathering dust for a few years. Had it replaced 4 times and still croaked after just a few outings in the boat. I'll never again touch anything with that name on it. Absolute garbage.

Thanks for the help guys. The back story is I bought a Magellan triton 1500 for half price ($200 from $400). It was the last one, so I figured I buy it, then find out about it. I haven't even taken it out of the box (and it's been killing me), because I was sure I was going to take it back. I'm now going to give it a try, but I'm keeping the receipt at the ready. I'll let you know how it goes.

My Garmin 60CSX stays in 3D mode 90% of the time..I believe that is WASS

I had a Magellan 310...Garmin is far better

3D mode has nothing to do with WAAS. You need 4 or more satellites in reception to get an altitude readout, and 3 or more to get a LAT/LONG readout. It has to do with triangulation of the signals not augmentation.

I've got the Magellan Meridian Marine and like it. I've had it for about 7 years. I use it ice fishing, and on the dash of my boat. Never had a problem. 2 AA battery's last all day. It has saved the day many times. I must have 200 way point fishing hot spots program in it.

Thanks for the help guys. The back story is I bought a Magellan triton 1500 for half price ($200 from $400). It was the last one, so I figured I buy it, then find out about it. I haven't even taken it out of the box (and it's been killing me), because I was sure I was going to take it back. I'm now going to give it a try, but I'm keeping the receipt at the ready. I'll let you know how it goes.

Now that you mention "Triton" - run, don't walk to your retailer and get your money back. The Triton series is a total piece of junk. I wouldn't use one if it was FREE.

Do a search at any of the repected GPS resources on the web and you will find a legacy of issues with the Triton series. If you are glutton for punishment then keep it.

I assume your useing it for marking fishing holes(being a fishing site and all)

But if your useing it for hunting and exploring the wilderness or even new waters.....

Do your self a Big favor and keep alert, know your land marks and pack a compass too.

I've Heard a couple of close call stories with regards to malfunctioning GPS units, dead batteries etc...

They are a "fun & conveneince tool", but one should NEVER rely 100% on it to get yourself home.

One slip, and a broken GPS could leave you lost.

Common sence in the outdoors is not always common...I'm sure your a smart dude, but for safteys sake thought I'd mention it.

Cheers,

:canadian:

I assume your useing it for marking fishing holes(being a fishing site and all)

But if your useing it for hunting and exploring the wilderness or even new waters.....

Do your self a Big favor and keep alert, know your land marks and pack a compass too.

I've Heard a couple of close call stories with regards to malfunctioning GPS units, dead batteries etc...

They are a "fun & conveneince tool", but one should NEVER rely 100% on it to get yourself home.

One slip, and a broken GPS could leave you lost.

Common sence in the outdoors is not always common...I'm sure your a smart dude, but for safteys sake thought I'd mention it.

Cheers,

:canadian:

Very well said Cookslav. Treat your GPS as a "just another navigation aid" and not a "life saver" and you will never suffer from the fickleness of technology (I usually carry two when in unfamiliar territory AND another navigation aid).