Who won the war of 1812?

Greencoachdog

Dawg, what a great Question. Thankyou for giving me a platform to enlighten some Canadian History. I know not your intention but here it goes.

http://www.battleoflundyslane.com/

This Battle is a controversy. The Americans seized the British/Canadian Cannon ( so they won the Battle) But the Americans had to go back to the States as they had no supplies. The British/Canadians recaptured their cannon. We figure we won. Tidbit.... The French settlers were considered Canadians back then Sadly the grave yard is a little fenced in area surrounded by infrastructure. A neat place to visit.

I know one thing, the Yanks lost at Queensto Heights because the American Militia found something in their clause that stated they couldn't fight off American Territory when ordered by the Regulars across the river.. That was when The Americans invaded crossing the Niagara River fighting Brock. Thing was they were afraid of the Indians (Tecumseh) that were screaming across the River. True story. We done the war following the Battlefields as our Military Professional Development. Of note, there is a huge statue of General Brock looking across the River to the States and depending what angle your looking at it from. Hes giving you guys the Finger. (Actually I think hes pointing) Somewhere around Queenston heights. No slag there, but it was the tour Guide ( Historian that brought it to our attention). Unless its changed. Tecumsehs memorial is a little ole rock, but without him we'd be American.

Edited by holdfast

Great post holdfast.

I love the history of the war of 1812….having grown up in Niagara. Brock’s monument is still there and yes it appears he is giving the finger to our neighbours to the south. Actually, it is a sword he is holding. There is a winding cement staircase inside the monument you can climb that is extremely narrow and steep. When passing someone on the way down or up, you have to stop and hug the wall to make room. The 360 degree view from the top is incredible, miles of vineyards, the Lower Niagara where many OFC members fish… etc. It’s a stones throw from the Queenston launch.

Laura Secord a local farmer’s wife played an important role in winning this battle. When the Americans were spotted crossing the river, she hiked several miles through forested areas to warn Brock. The Laura Secord House is also a stone’s throw from the Queenston boat launch.

So much history about the war. My grade 8 teacher's great great grand mother (i think thats the right number of greats) was the Lundy's lane land owner. Brock was distant cousin to my ancestors. My own ancestors were in the milita and loyalists. 3 or 4 of them got sizable land grants from the government for their service. 2 brothers....one of my direct descendants ran raids over the boarder with the natives around the St. Lawrance area.

The history of the native involvements is amazing. They are the most interesting sidesof the war of 1812 history i think.

One of my favourite sotries...

I believe it was the Battle of Detroit...and I think, in total, there were only maybe between 500 and 800 dudes under Brock and Tecumseh. The were up against an american force with superior numbers. So they marched the natives around a patch of trees a bunch of times to make their numbers look like 5000. The Americans surrendered or retreated...i dont remember which. But it is one of my favourite stories....one of the best bluff's i've ever heard off lol.

Anyway....great post....and Canada won...cause if we had lost i'd have one of those terrible North Eastern U.S. accents LMAO.

-Dave

if I could just add something of laura secord. She was a farmers wife who worked in a pub in niagara on the lake, at that time the american troops would often frequent the area and as I understand it she over heard some plans to take the area from some overly hydrated captain. She the rode to brantford on horseback all night to tell brock. The british army came and caught the americans asleep there encampment in cooks mills and snuck up the ravine to certain victory.

I often go there and find musket balls and soldiers buttons in the adjoining fields. This is how I remember it being told, although I wasnt there, contrary to my kids beliefs.

There is some great stuff about a schooner called The Nancy. Stan Rogers did a great song named after the schooner.

[There were countless skirmishes on the Great Lakes between ships and boats of

all makes and sizes during the War of 1812-14. "Well", Stan said, "we won the

damned war but from some of the accounts you'd really have to wonder how!"]

The clothes men wear do give them airs, the fellows do compare.

A colonel's regimentals shine, and women call them fair.

I am Alexander MacIntosh, a nephew to the Laird

And I do distain men who are vain, the men with powdered hair.

I command the Nancy Schooner from the Moy on Lake St. Claire.

On the third day of October, boys, I did set sail from there.

To the garrison at Amherstburg I quickly would repair

With Captain Maxwell and his wife and kids and powdered hair.

Aboard the Nancy

In regimentals bright.

Aboard the Nancy

With all his pomp and bluster there, aboard the Nancy-o.

Below the St. Clair rapids I sent scouts unto the shore

To ask a friendly Whyandot to say what lay before.

"Amherstburg has fallen, with the same for you in store!

And militia sent to take you there, fifty horse or more."

Up spoke Captain Maxwell then, "Surrender, now, I say!

Give them your Nancy schooner and make off without delay!

Set me ashore, I do implore. I will not die this way!"

Says I, "You go, or get below, for I'll be on my way!"

Aboard the Nancy!

"Surrender, Hell!" I say.

Aboard the Nancy

"It's back to Mackinac I'll fight, aboard the Nancy-o."

Well up comes Colonel Beaubien, then, who shouts as he comes near.

"Surrender up your schooner and I swear you've naught to fear.

We've got your Captain Maxwell, sir, so spare yourself his tears."

Says I, "I'll not but send you shot to buzz about your ears."

Well, they fired as we hove anchor, boys, and we got under way,

But scarce a dozen broadsides, boys, the Nancy they did pay

Before the business sickened them. They bravely ran away.

All sail we made, and reached the Lake before the close of day.

Aboard the Nancy!

We sent them shot and cheers.

Aboard the Nancy!

We watched them running through the trees, aboard the Nancy-o.

Oh, military gentlemen, they bluster, roar and pray.

Nine sailors and the Nancy, boys, made fifty run away.

The powder in their hair that day was powder sent their way

By poor and ragged sailor men, who swore that they would stay.

Aboard the Nancy!

Six pence and pound a day

Aboard the Nancy!

No uniforms for men to scorn, aboard the Nancy-o

We actually gave it back to the British when we let them retake their cannon... we just wanted to show them we could do it if we wanted to... and they better behave!!!

We also let them retake their cannon because we felt kinda bad about kicking their :asshat: so severely in 1776...

... and we don't like Maple syrup that much anyway. ;)