Signs . . Signs . . Everywhere A Sign

Photoz

:blahblah1:Well, the post the other day concerning to Ganny got me thinkin' . . . it's ALMOST rainbow time!! So o o o I took a meander out east to check the tribs . . . shoulda known . . . at nearly -20 last night they're froze up tight . . . even the yacht club harbour at Port Hope was frozen . . only a small space over by 'the pipe' was open. The river was froze right across, almost to the lake, right from the foot of the rapids.

gallery_77_129_41499.jpg

But as I looked north, there was something placed on the SOUTH side of the CNR trestle that I was sure I'd never seen before?

gallery_77_129_2543.jpg

I zoomed in a bit further . . . hm m m m m . . . . I wonder if the MNR had taken some suggestions to heart, and decided to make it VERY plain where the sanctuary boundary REALLY is?

gallery_77_129_40830.jpg

Well, THIS appears pretty plain to me! Although for some reason, this sign looks kinda shopworn, it's still readable . . . "FISHING PROHIBITED, UPSTREAM FROM CNR BRIDGE FROM JANUARY 1 TO LAST FRIDAY IN APRIL"

gallery_77_129_31474.jpg

When you are standing in front of this sign, it's now pretty hard to claim there's any confusion as to where the sanctuary starts. BUT . . . if you didn't check the regulations book (which you should) there was some confusion as to where the sanctuary started, with only the sign around the back of the trestle. If someone walked up from the south, there was no sign, in sight, anywhere, and a person from out of town would never have spotted it, even though ALL the locals & regulars knew the law. Perhaps this will discourage SOME of the illegal fishin' in the sanctuary . . . . ah h h h h . . . . . who am I tryin' to kid?

Now if you open your eyes a little further and walk another 30 or so feet up stream, you will see a sign on the NORTH side of the tracks saying the same thing. Unless of course someone intelligent has taken down the sign. Come on if you're gonna tell a story, tell the WHOLE story. Also isn't the new season the 4th Saturday in April now?

Edited by Ron

The thing is, the regs say south side of the bridge......its pretty clearly written in there. Regardless of what any sign says. A CO would have to sit there all day, every day to enforce it. Just because the sign is in the wrong spot doesn't make it "right" to fish there.......especially when you KNOW its part of the santuary.

I don't really care either way......I gave up on fishing those spots looooong ago. You guys can have attem!!

S.

I agree sinker,

I haven't fished the Ganny for years. I am just stating what I have been told by MNR officials, sure you are fishing in a sanctuary but because there is a sign on the upstream side, no charges would be laid as it would get thrown our of court because of it.

:blush:When I first started fishing the Ganny, I too fished the sanctuary, because of my belief the sign at the back of the bridge (which was completely concealed from a 'newbie' walkin' up from the south side) marked the boundary line of where the sanctuary started. Luckily it didn't take a 'local' long to suggest I 'get my a$$ outta there,' because I was poaching. When I pointed out where the sign was, he just told me perhaps I should read my regulations book? Until the 'new' sign was posted, without reading the regs, it was STILL confusing to people who really believed the sanctuary started at the sign, but those who DID know, and just didn't care, just went ahead and brazenly fished there, regardless, figuring the'd just play 'dumb' with the C. O.! I even DID mention in my original post "BUT . . . if you didn't check the regulations book (which you should) there was some confusion as to where the sanctuary started, with only the sign around the back of the trestle," which I believed made it pretty clear.

If those of us who regularly fish there keep the calls to the MNR coming, with photos of those who have their own regulations & boundaries, POACHING fish, there and other popular spots, I think it would go a long way toward cutting the illegal catching right out! I wonder how many know about the new trout limits (2) in ALL the eastern tribs, which is in place, and has been for about 2 years? If you're into LEGALLY 'limiting out,' with 5 trout . . . gotta go down to the lake. (Why would ya want FIVE trout anyway?)

This is the 'OLD' original sign, on the back of the bridge that caused much of the confusion. END OF STORY!

gallery_77_129_43808.jpg

The sign makes it perfectly clear, as for the regs stating the South side of the bridge... there are many people that couldn't tell you which way West was if the were looking at a sunset!!!

I run into this nearly daily on the construction site and have had to teach it to a lot of people!

I hope I don't lose any friends over this but...

I think the MNR (or the Board of Health) should make the whole damn river a year round sanctuary !!!

Who wants to fish in a bloody sewer anyways ???...What's with that black crud that bubbles up from the bottom every once in a while...reminds me of the Don River In Toronto...YUCK !

Surely you wouldn't want to eat fish from there or even touch them (skin rash)...

Tony...you are right...LET IT GO !!!...however I don't think anybody is giving away any secret spots...I've read about the Ganny and Wilmot in fishing magazines for the past fifty years or more...

Cheers !!!...Mates

Who wants to fish in a bloody sewer anyways ???...What's with that black crud that bubbles up from the bottom every once in a while...reminds me of the Don River In Toronto...YUCK !

Surely you wouldn't want to eat fish from there or even touch them (skin rash)...

...however I don't think anybody is giving away any secret spots...I've read about the Ganny and Wilmot in fishing magazines for the past fifty years or more...

Cheers !!!...Mates

Cameco has been dumping radioactive tailings in the Ganny and Port Hope harbor for many, many years.

Might explain the black crud bubbling up from the bottom.

Here is a picture of tarped tailings near a playground in Port Hope.

IMG_0842.jpg

I don't think it would be a bad idea at all, to do the same with the trout season, EVERYWHERE there's special exceptions (Ganny, Wilmot, Graham's, Bowmanville etc.) as what they started doing with pike a few years ago, while they spawn. My bet is the population would really jump quickly, even if they only closed it from early March to April. But to close the Ganny year round . . . aw w w w c'mon Beansie, have a heart . . . that's my favorite carpin' spot!

gallery_77_129_34311.jpg

I agree sinker,

I haven't fished the Ganny for years. I am just stating what I have been told by MNR officials, sure you are fishing in a sanctuary but because there is a sign on the upstream side, no charges would be laid as it would get thrown our of court because of it.

As Ron said and i was standing beside him when we were told by C.O. As long as the sign is on both sides of the bridge it would be open fishing. we said take the other one down and we got the look lol if you would like the C.O. number and name pm me i have his cards on me all the time. Great guy and lays lots of charges other then the bridge.

I hope I don't lose any friends over this but...

I think the MNR (or the Board of Health) should make the whole damn river a year round sanctuary !!!

I believe sometime ago (way back when), I had suggested that a river/trib(FLIP A COIN AND PICK ONE) should be closed for a year,the whole thing.Help with the spawning and growth of the great lakes and rapeing of the resouce.SNAGGERS.

Myself ,I enjoyed fishing all the tribs when I was younger.Lots of fish to be had, and to be released.Yeah I know it,s a catch and keep project.

Norm,ya never lose a friend like I. ;):D

I don't know about closing all the tribs. Maybe, as someone suggested perhaps here or another board, the tribs should be closed on a rotation. One year, closed on the Ganny. Nextyear Wilmot. Then Bowmanville, Oshawa, Rouge and so on down the line from L.Ontario up through Superior. It would take a long time to get back to the front of the line again.

Like hundreds of guys and a few gals out there, I grew up streamside and spent maaaaany hours of my youth catching fish out of the Rouge( insert your own home creek). Also, the access is great for new guys to get in on a little easy action and get into the sport this way. I go out sparingly in the spring only to satisfy my need to wet a line and more often than not it will be where no-one else is fishing. I also like the fact that I can just get on a bike like old times and find some running water just because I have an hour to kill. I'd hate to not have that option, even if I didn't fish trout once this year. You don't have to pack up the boat and gear, drive, launch, etc... You just go. Although if you do keep a rod in the car, its also nice to drive over a a bridge and spy a nice looking pool, hit the breaks and throw a spinner in just in case. Like I said, I'd hate to not have that option.

As far as the sign and regs go.. Theres always someone that wants to put the odds in their favour and NEED to get fish so bad that they feel like bending the rules to meet their purpose is OK. Regs will always be disputed, boundaries will be disputed, public/private boundaries will be disputed. All to do some bobber fishing. Because thats what most guys fish for trout with. Very expensive bobber outfits.

Maybe, as someone suggested perhaps here or another board

My post,or am I daft???????????????

I believe sometime ago (way back when), I had suggested that a river/trib(FLIP A COIN AND PICK ONE) should be closed for a year,the whole thing.Help with the spawning and growth of the great lakes and rapeing of the resouce.SNAGGERS.

:unsure::unsure:

The idea of these rotational closures is a great idea, however I think the only that will happen is someone from this board is elected as Minister of Natural Resources.

The Ministers themselves rotate from year to year. Last year Donna Cansfield was the Transportation Minister.

We need people in these positions that are actually hunters and fishers.

We need people in these positions that are actually hunters and fishers

Will you vote for me?

Or is that would??????

You are right though.

People who know whats what,not what they think. Something like an engineer.Yep it,s says it works,,,,on paper.LOL

dumb :asshat:

Guest steel'n'esox

I agree sinker,

[/quote Then when they changed the rules to the south side of the bridge the stupid mnr should have taken down the sign on the north side of the bridge, or did they not have the proper socket set at the time to remove the bolts. If the mnr wont enforce the rules they wrote what are we paying for our licences for. If it wasnt for the OFAH and its affiliate clubs we would have no trout or salmon stocking at all, its pretty bad when the ministry would even consider closing ringwood, and thankgod we have an Austrailian wine company that is conservation minded to foot the bill to reintroduce Atlantics.

thankgod we have an Austrailian wine company that is conservation minded to foot the bill to reintroduce Atlantics.

Great advertising for them isn't it? Too bad they didn't spend $'s on something that's actually sustainable... :wallbash:

As for the Ganny... my sister use to live in an old house on 2 that would probably be about the big grocery store across from the Chinese all you can eat place... that would be back about 1973 or so. Ganny madness.. poaching snagging was an issue way back then above/below the bridge.

Seeing as the other thread was locked.Kemper had asked about the numbers that run up the ganny.I'm pretty sure at one time I read there were as many as 20,000 salmon running it in a season back when it was popular to enhance a fishery.Not really sure what the numbers would be for rainbows but I remember catching way more rainbows than salmon off that pier.

Kerry

I have spoken with the MNR today. I made mention of this sign once again on how it is deceiving. I also made note of the sign being out of date to show the new season regulations. The sign shows "the last Saturday in April" where as the new regs show the 4th Saturday in April. It doesn't make a difference for this year but it will in other years.

Long story short, they will be replacing the sign and removing the sign on the upstream side. I have volunteered to do this for them. Once the sign is made, it will be changed.