Is it safe?

xrap

IF you can't afford a floater suit, at least wear a life vest. If you go through it keeps your head above water until you can get your wits about you. IF you watch the video on surving going through the ice, the first few minutes are critical. After that you can survive an hour or more if need be.

When you first plunge into the water it takes your breath away and you start gasping and hyperventilating, if you don't have on any kind of floatation you will fill your lungs with water on the initial plunge a drown!!!

If I didn't have a floatation suit, I would certainly wear a PFD while out ice fishing. People could laugh and make fun of me all they wanted, but I might be the one helping them if WE went through the ice!!!

I wouldn't trust 4" anywhere there is a current.

You guys should try your suits out in the summer so that you know how youre going to float and how to move in the water. The only guy that I know that went through the Ice was surprised by the way he floated in the suit and had to learn in a hurry to get out.

Thats a really good idea, my wife and I do that with our life vests in the summer regularily. I usually don't ever go on the ice unless its 4-6" of good black. I'm too heavy and have broken thru on several occasions in the past(just my leg) usually my left leg cause thats where all the food goes that I pack away.lol. B)

You can buy a Mustang Floater coat for $139 and maybe even cheaper when on sale. It not as good as an ice suit, but it will do the job and could save your life.

Money is tight all around, but I say its worth saving up for if you are going to be on any ice.

If I didn't have a floatation suit, I would certainly wear a PFD while out ice fishing. People could laugh and make fun of me all they wanted, but I might be the one helping them if WE went through the ice!!!

They're not laughing at the PFD, they're laughing because you're not wearing anything underneath it! ;)

-Brian

You are NEVER 100% safe on any ice.We had a reminder of that on the last weekend of the hardwater season last year.A local from here on the Bay of Quinte who had fished the bay for 20 years went walking out to go fishing in a area were there was 14 inches of ice.There were trucks on the bay that weekend.He never came home.They found his minnow bucket in a snow drift close to a pressure crack.The divers came in and found him under that crack in 6 feet of water.I drove my 4 wheeler over top of were he was found 4 times that weekend.It is thought that the crack had opened up a little and the blowing snow coverd it over and he step in the snow not knowing the crack was there but we will never really know what happened.

I always prided myself in the fact that I didn't need a floater suit cause I didn't go out till the ice was "safe".Well I bought a floater suit this year.

If you can't aford a suit than atleast were some kind of floatation.

Question you should ask yourself is what price do you put on your life.

If you really feel the need to experence cold water find a beach somewhere bring a friend to stand on shore( to bail your donkey out and run out to your waist and immediatly dive in emersing your full body

now add panic to that scenario

the clock is ticking

Will make you see things in a different light I garuntee

Hey Xrap,

My best buddy lost his father a few years ago when he drowned just 200 ft from shore in cold weather. They found his body quite far away from the anchored boat and he didn't have his boots on. Duber has a story, we all have heard of a story...for 50 bucks at CTC a life vest (at the very leas) is WELL worth it. May give you a chance to tell your own story.