Any downhill skiers here

misfish

Stay with rentals unless you really get into it. The lines may be long to pick them up but the prices are typically reasonable and the equipment decent. Make sure you take a lesson at least the first time you go. It will take some getting used to of course. Don't get frustrated trying to make you way around on the flats at the bottom of the hill. It can be pretty tiring if your not use to it. Once your at the top its easy, just point your skis downhill and let gravity do the rest! Seriously, wide sweeping turns with a bit of a snowplow should manage your pace well enough.

One word of caution, Do not stop halfway down the run just over a lip. I've nearly ran into many inexperienced skiers taking a break in a blind spot. Feel free to stop, just use common sense in choosing your location. Same goes if (when) you fall! grab your gear and get it on quick or head to the side of the run.

Misfish,Take a lesson. I believe most recreational ski injuries occur in the first weeks, months or years of snow skiing. Yes, balance is similar except on the snow your weight needs to be distributed forward and turning is much different. My wife and I met snow skiing. I quit a few years ago but she is still at in something like year 48. Actually she is in Idaho right now finishing up a weeks trip. From there she goes to Colorado to visit with our son and his family and ski a few days.

When she gets back she is an instructor for an Adaptive program. This is a program for the handicapped. She will be skiing until shortly before we get ice out then she can mind the house while I fish.

If I remember correctly Irishfield was or is an instructor and can probably point you in the right direction.

The mrs,s an I, have been doing things that we have not done. Well shes done more then I.Eating seafood for her. :worthy::thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

The one thing I have always wanted to try was downhill skiing.

I know we can rent them and all that.

Just need some pointers on the do,s and dont,s.

Ok... my turn... my wife and I used to ski.Did I enjoy it? Well truthfully this is what I found...

I would freeze my :asshat: off going up on the lift. I would then sweat my :asshat: off going down the hill... repeat ad nauseum! Got old pretty fast!

Worst part for me was standing on top of Blue Mountain, looking at that beautiful forzen bay and wondering how many fish I could be catching, if I was out on the ice... that and it's really hard to keep yer jig on the bottom, when your tavelling up on the lift!

HH

Brian,

My wife and I have been skiing at Snow Valley for the past seven years while the kids are in lessons. They have an 8 winter weekend lesson program, so we have always made a day of it. This way the kids get to practice what they learned and have lots of fun while making the most out of our long Canadian winters.

Snow Valley has over 350 instructors and offers a great intro package. It is called Discover skiing. For $40 you get a rental package, 75 minute lesson and a 4 hour lift ticket for the bunny hill, which is all that you need for the first time out. If she likes it, you can go back for the Discover skiing 2 package. If she is comfortable, the instructor will take her on the longer runs.

They are the most flexible family orientated ski operation in all of Ontario. My 15 year old daughter became an instructor there this year after allot of training and full certification. She loves the job and loves the staff there. There are very professional people and really nice to all of their customers. You can't go wrong with this resort!

Edited by Cast-Away

Ok... my turn... my wife and I used to ski.Did I enjoy it? Well truthfully this is what I found...

I would freeze my :asshat: off going up on the lift. I would then sweat my :asshat: off going down the hill... repeat ad nauseum! Got old pretty fast!

Worst part for me was standing on top of Blue Mountain, looking at that beautiful forzen bay and wondering how many fish I could be catching, if I was out on the ice... that and it's really hard to keep yer jig on the bottom, when your tavelling up on the lift!

HH

Come on Joe... that ice ain't safe....not today anyhow!

Do yourself a favor and take a couple of lessons. I never did, and picked up bad habits that took a long time to break. They will also teach you how to fall so you don't do any damage to yourself. :P

Have Fun!

I can't agree more. In fact, lessons at any time, no matter how (in)experienced you are, are a good idea. I started skiing at 11, and although I had lessons at the beginning, I didn't try any new lessons until I was 25. I had accumulated several bad habits that, when removed, made me a much, much better skier.

The best skiing East of the Rockies is in Quebec, IMO. Mont Sainte-Anne and Le Massif are the best. Tremblant is ok, but it's owned by Intra-West (the same people who over-charge for lift tickets at Blue Mountain), so I avoid it.

I shouldn't say "avoid." I haven't been skiing since 2002 - which is when I came back from living in Switzerland for 2 years. I'm still suffering from the withdrawal; and now that I have a little family of my own... well... you know the drill :blush:

Anyway, some advice:

Take lessons, start with ski's (not snowboard... can be very hard on your wrists), don't be afraid to fall... in fact, fall sideways on purpose a few times to get the hang of it (it helps to know how to direct your fall, and getting up after a fall can be a skill in its own right), and take a break when you're tired (best way to avoid injury). Don't wear jeans or anything like that, as you just get wet and cold: gore-tex snow pants and coat etc. Enjoy a couple of beers at the end of the day, too. For whatever reason, they taste better ONLY on a hot day, fishing... go figure.

p.-