Lake Simcoe Report Jan 17

ozaibak1

Well, I got the urge to go ice-fishing after realizing I can fish during winter time too and seems like its the cool thing to do so I decided to give it a shot. I knew I would like it, and I was not dissapointed. Booked the morning with a hut operator out on Virginia Beach, stayed at a nearby motel the night before.

So I had bought a tonne of cold-weather clothing/gear from mountain co-op, and I can say it was BARELY enough! I didn't wear all of it, which I would of regretted if we didn't have a heated hut. Morning temperature: -18C!!!

So me and buddy take the snow cab over to the hut, and I have to say it was pretty cool looking inside, I wasn't expecting to have a huge rectangle to fish through, I thought it would just be a hole! Caught my first fish about 10 minutes in on a tear-drop and maggot, pretty exciting.

After a few hours of fishing, we had produced decent numbers of perch, but nothing too outstanding. It was now about 12:30pm, and the operator came by to check how we're doing, I asked if there's any other huts we could try. Well there was an empty heated one about 100 yards from where we were, and we decided to try it out.

We get into it, break through the frozen ice. My friend goes out for a leak, and doesn't come back after 20 mins, I'm thinkin where the hell is this person. I try opening the door, and its stuck! I decided to fish, and boy was it good, caught fish after fish each cast. Then I worry about my friend, and kick open the door, and scream out his name in the frozen white: KEVIN!!!! It was good I yelled that out, cuz the idiot got lost outside! He said all the huts looked the same, and my voice helped point him in the right direction. The dangers of getting too drunk illustrated right there (him not me).

This new hut had slightly deeper water and what seemed like a deeper weed bed. The lure of the day: SWEDISH PIMPLE! We tried these in gold and glow in the dark white, and boy where they hot. I've rarely caught any fish period on a spoon, but the perch were hitting these things even with no minnows tipped.

Well it got to 4pm, my friend was having a blast catching a tonne of fish, we wanted to stay all night, maybe next time! All in all we caught over 50 perch, the winter blues have dissapeared for me I can look forward to fishing again during winter time. Next time, gonna go for pike, lure of choice: the swedish pimple, I can't say enough about this thing. And I hope next time will be a bit warmer.

3196.jpg

3202.jpg

3195-1.jpg

3191.jpg

3189.jpg

3183.jpg

3180.jpg

3213.jpg

OZ

Congrats on your first trip on the ice.

Just a warning, before you know it, you'll be looking at power augers, portable huts, and snowmobiles. You'd better warn your wife......the bank account is going to take a serious hit now.... LOL

Sinker

My GAWD MAN!!!! you went outside in -18 temps!!!! :lol:

I love it when it warms up that high in my neck O the woods.

Seriously, I was camping in a tent last weekend at -13. :w00t:

The Proof:

P1170007.jpg

I used to love ice fishing in that area, always came home with a good feed of perch.

Spent a lot of time in my youth fishing through those holes. :D

Edited by DRIFTER_016