baitcaster

pike slayer

hey guys, all my life i have been using spinning rods and reels and so have all my friends. i've never picked up and used a baitcaster before. i want to buy a cheap but still decent rod/reel combo to try to see if i like it. at crappy tire they got the daiwa d-cast rod and reel combo for $89.99. it seems like a decent starter combo. if i really like it i'll upgrade after a few times out and use it as a backup. what do you guys think of this combo? also what should i be looking in a baitcaster? is there any others out there to consider? i really like the medium/heavy rod. also i see alot of baitcast rods that are only 1 piece, whats the deal with that? seems to be annoying to bring anywhere and high possibly of breaking it. heres a link for the same combo http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com/brand...iwa/D_Cast.html crappy tire doesnt have a picture of it on their site. thanks

You're probably going to end up with a pile of replies that tell you to not purchase a cheap baitcaster. I agree with this 100%.

Even if it's your first baitcaster, and you plan on replacing it, do not buy a cheap one, they simply don't work well and will leave you frustrated and thinking that all baitcasters are junk. Spend a little extra and get something you cant depend on. It'll be worth it.

My first baitcasting reel was a Abu Garcia Revo S, they are relatively cheap and go for about 130 bucks and are well worth the money. I have since purchased a couple of the high end Revo's and could not be happier.

Just keep in mind when you're buying one there's a reason companies sell $600 dollar baitcasters. That isn't to say you need to spend that much to get something that will work right, but be willing to spend at least 130, if not a little more. It sucks that getting something half decent costs so much, but that's the way it is. Don't think that spending 89 bucks will get you something good to learn on, it will just end up being a pain in the ass.

Hope this helps,

Edited by Drew_10

I have had my heart set on getting a Shimano Curado and a BPS Bionic Blade 7' M/H 2pc Trigger rod to go with it. :angel:

If i had the money i would get it in a flash, from what i hear Daiwa makes good products. As for this specific combo, i have never seen it or heard of it's performance. But i would try out the Shimano Curado, if you were thinking of a upgrade later on.

Just keep in mind when you're buying one there's a reason companies sell $600 dollar baitcasters. That isn't to say you need to spend that much to get something that will work right, but be willing to spend at least 130, if not a little more. It sucks that getting something half decent costs so much, but that's the way it is. Don't think that spending 89 bucks will get you something good to learn on, it will just end up being a pain in the ass.

Hope this helps,

Buy a used Curado off of Ebay and be done with it.

Expensive reel at a nice used price...

Don't blow big $$$ on a first reel.

You could quite easily fish your whole life, never pick up a baitcaster, and still enjoy the sport. I have a couple of descent Abu-Garcia's, but rarely use them for anything other than trolling.

What situations, other than trolling, do you guys use your bait rods for?

You could quite easily fish your whole life, never pick up a baitcaster, and still enjoy the sport. I have a couple of descent Abu-Garcia's, but rarely use them for anything other than trolling.

What situations, other than trolling, do you guys use your bait rods for?

Everything..

Topwater, flipping jigs, cranks, tube fishing, chucking monster muskie baits, etc etc..

The only thing I use my spinning rod for is really light tube jigs, vertical fishing for pickerel, and stream fishing for specs.

i'll keep my eyes open on ebay for a deal over the winter for the shimano Curado. my past few rods and reels have been shimano but i will consider others. what about rods guys? i rarely see 2 piece baitcaster, whats up with that? i like the medium heavy. what do you guys recommend? i plan on using it for pike, lake trout, and bass fishing and use my spinning rod/reel for specks and walleye. i'll mostly use it for casting and trolling crankbaits.

7' mh rod will be your best friend

old style curado is probably the most suggested reel out there for a good reason

baitcasting reels are just better, as their name implies, at casting baits all day. my spinning reels get used through the ice and in the spring for trout and jiggin walleye. occasionally for fishn smallies (tubes). other than that, i only use baitcasters.

I'm not sure about that bait caster, but I have 2 Daiwa pro casters and for cheap reels they are GREAT! They have awesome drags and cast really smooth. I use them over my Shimano Curado since it has some problems with it and isn't as easy to adjust. I would still suggest maybe getting a better combo and I think if your stopped in at BassPro you could find some.

I enjoy using a bait caster over a spinning reel in all most all conditions, and since I started using one last year I have got extremley hooked on casting lures and don't do much float or live bait fishing anymore. I guarantee you won't regret getting your self a decent bait casting set up. Once you get the hang of it which isn't hard, you wont want to put it down.

Edited by GoneFishin

Raf is right about the old style green curados, I think everyone that fished in our club tournaments used them, well except me. No particular reason for me not using them other than being cheap, and easy on tackle. I had a bunch of older Shimano and Abu baitcasters that worked well and saw no reason to upgrade.

One friend that manages the tackle section of a Gander Mountain store here bought all the old ones they had in stock when the new ones came out.

Don`t use Diawa baitcasters, so no opinion on your choice, Abu c-3s aren`t bad Shimano Citica? I used some baitcasters, Abu ultra mags, Shimano black magnums that were 20-25 years old, still worked fine for me.

Spinning reels for the most part were an open water, light line reel for me, light tackle 1/16th- 1/8 ounce stuff when finesse fishing. Did win a two day tournament casting a small crankbait over a weed flat on a spinning rod, it was what I had put it on to pre-fish, was working, and saw no pressing need to change.

Casting reels were all we had as a kid, back in the 50`s, I learned on one and got used to them.

Holdfast, baitcasters are a necessity if your casting to targets(docks, rocks, holes in the weeds, trees, stumps) If your working open water or a big flat you can get away with a spinning rod but if you want precision casting a bait caster is a must. The only exception would be for skipping under docks, a spinning reel works better. Baitcasters can also handle the heavy line better than a spinning reel which allows you to horse a fish out of the thick stuff. Baitcasters also have quicker line intake per crank of the handle. Definitely a lot of plus's to a baitcaster.

i'll keep my eyes open on ebay for a deal over the winter for the shimano Curado. my past few rods and reels have been shimano but i will consider others. what about rods guys? i rarely see 2 piece baitcaster, whats up with that? i like the medium heavy. what do you guys recommend? i plan on using it for pike, lake trout, and bass fishing and use my spinning rod/reel for specks and walleye. i'll mostly use it for casting and trolling crankbaits.

Check out the new berkely lightning rods. I was impressed with the price and quality of them.

Didn't I learn you nothin????!

I guess I kind of look at the price and to me I can Jig fish with a Spinning reel, Cast Heavy plugs with a Spinning Reel, Top water with a Spinning reel and catch a Big Jack and Musky with a Spinning reel. So whats the Big advantage? I got two that I never use, even when I bassed fished.

If i really like it i'll upgrade after a few times out and use it as a backup.

Not that I am an expert on bait casters. They are not like cheap spinning outfits.

I bet if you upgrade to a good baitcaster later you will dread ever having to use that CT bought one again.

Get used with an externally adjustable magnet feature for the first one.

For the rod I went with a Heartland $25 dipsy rod for salmon.....it was fun to use on the slamon

At BPS I got a med/heavy BPS rod at 1/2 price....It is OK, no crying at $20. I will replace with one that is more suited for whipping baits out.

forrest

Edited by forrest

Once you fished with a 1 piece rod enough, you'll throw that 2 piece crap away!!!

... the difference is like night and day! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

A baitcaster can chunk and wind the heavier baits all day much better than a spinning rod can!!!

... but when it comes to finesse, you can't beat a spinning rod!!!

Here's my little portion on Baitcast Reels...

My 1st Baitcast Reel was a Shimano Sojourn (found HERE ) At LeBarons for under $70 for the COMBO. I personally NEVER had ANY PROBLEMS with this particular combo for the 3years that I used it. (Other than the obvious BIRDNESTS) I also did quite a bit of research on the benefits of BAITCAST REELS and found THIS LINK and THIS LINK to be pretty helpful. If you do a search on GOOGLE and type "Baitcast +pros" (without the quotations).. You'll have a good amount of results.

Here's what I find to be major benefits of using a BAITCAST REEL...

- Able to cast HEAVY BAITS/LURES with ease (Mostly why MUSKY/PIKE anglers use baitcast reels)

- Casting distance increase is significant on BAITCASTERS (10-20yards; depending on how well your reel is greased/oiled and how easily the bearings roll)

- Baitcasters are designed pretty much the same to that of a WINCH that is used to haul in a boat to the trailer (Hence why its usually preferred over Spinning Tackle when fishing for LARGE FISH)

- SPINNING REELS "Speed" ratio is much slower than that of a BAITCAST REEL (Baitcast reels have a lot of variety)

- The drag on SPINNING REEL isn't designed for long fights for big fish (Again, why BAITCAST REELS are usually used for LARGER fish; IE: Marlin, Tuna etc...)

A few pointers I should point out when learning to use the baitcast...

- BE VERY PATIENT (Trust me, in the end you'll LOVE using it)

- If....err... WHEN you get a BIRDSNEST, I found a pretty cool "TIP" on the internet on how to quickly remove it found HERE

- The "Specs" you read on the ROD...or a ROD (IE: Lure Weight) needs to be followed; You can get away with this on SPINNING REELS; but on BAITCAST REELS its really hard NOT to get away with it

- Others have said to "GO BIG, OR GO HOME" (IE: Spend the extra money on a 'Good' baitcaster); I would personally have to disagree with that only because I know there are several BAITCAST REELS that go under $100; for example the DAIWA MEGAFORCE is a good reel for its price. This was my 2nd reel, and THAT TOO did NOT GIVE ME ANY PROBLEMS :D

- DO YOUR RESEARCH; Just because the REEL may LOOK NICE, its PERFORMANCE may FAIL YOU! (I usually read the ratings off BPS's website)

Anyway, in the end - You'll be happy with your BAITCASTER once you've learned how to properly use it. I find now that I'm using it about 90% of my outings. Hopefully I made this information a little "Useful" to you. Sorry for the yammering... :blahblah1:

Rob

Everything..

Topwater, flipping jigs, cranks, tube fishing, chucking monster muskie baits, etc etc..

The only thing I use my spinning rod for is really light tube jigs, vertical fishing for pickerel, and stream fishing for specs.

Yep

I use mine for everything, down from my 1/4 to my 7/8 oz lres. The only time I use a spinning reel is when I will cast my boys spinning setup.

Jose