I Have A Boat Now!

MCTFisher9120

A friend of my grandmother had a older 12' aluminum boat that he has not used for a few years. This past summer i went out in his boat a few times and enjoyed myself. I just got a call from him and i was told i can have his boat for FREE! I am going up to there to see the boat again and to take a few pictures.Unfortunately this boat does not come with a trailer so i will have to leave it at my grandmas untill i can find a way of moving it. There is 2 brand new seats in the boat also. I would like to paint it once the summer comes around and for starters put a trolling motor on it. I am so excited that i got a boat now :)

Where would i get paint for the boat(do i need special paint)

Here is the only picture i have of the boat(behind myself)

I also need to get some paddles, and a anchor.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Congrats!!

The first of many mistresses you will have in your life!!

You should wait till crappy tire of BPS puts the all in one safety kit on sale and get one of those.

It will keep you legal with the throwing line and everything else in case the cops check you.

Most of the stuff you need will come on sale over the next few months!!

If you can wait, try picking up some of the things you need when they have the late afternoon sales on the last day of the fishing show or sportsman show.

just make sure you go with a specific shopping list, and know what the regular price for those items are.

So for your tin boat you need safety kit

anchor

paddles/oars ( I would suggest a pair of oars with oarlocks and pins)

pfd's

Then there is all the optional stuff you can add to the list.

If you put an electric trolling motor on that puppy you'll have a real nice conservation area fishing machine. If you have a conservation area close to you, they may have a storage area where you can leave the boat and not have to worry about transporting it. It's a little too big to cartop but you may be able to slide it into a pick-up bed or a utility trailer.

Congratulations! Hope its an early spring this year, 'cause you're going to be chomping at the bit to get out!

A sonar unit would be a worthwhile addition to your list.

Looking forward to your fishing reports from your new boat.

Pappy

Great stuff Mike ! Enjoy it the way it is for awhile... drag it .. pull it and throw it in the water. If you paint it you'll be worried that you will scratch it until you get a better means of moving it.

Alum is not something you wanna hit with Tremclad. It needs to be properly chemically stripped.. possibly etched depending on the primer.... epoxy primed and then painted if you expect it to stick. Not cheap and not something you'll probably wanna tackle for a bit.

Congratz Mike it sounds like your going to have some great time out on her I cant wait for some reports from her. As for paint I would not worry about it but if you must try using Tremclad with a roller that is how I did my last boat it will not last for ever but it does stay on long enough just clean the surface with dish soap I also used some other chemicals but you dont have to use them. Wayne knows his stuff for this and is right about how to do it right but you can get away with the cheap fix.

Nice little boat to keep on the water! Looks in good condition (aside from paint) and you can't beat the price! Maybe Rapala will give you enough stickers to cover the hull :lol:

forrest

I did not mean to give the wrong impression about the state of the paint. I agree with the other guys that the looks are of little importance. Iff you saw the dents in my car it would lend weight to that statement :P

forrest

Sweet! Congrats on a new boat! Looks just like my boat "Tony" except yours looks much newer, deeper and nice. lol

I go out on Simcoe in my boat all the time (just check direction of wind and fish in appropriate spots). Managed to catch some really nice fish out of "Tony" and managed to pick up 3 motors for free. 2 of the motors needed minor repairs and the third was a loner that we were allowed to use all summer (6 hp yamaha). I also got a free fish finder (1985 LCR 2000) from my dad. Banged all the rivets with hammers on both sides simultaneously. Still leaks but I whatever. I also got a free trailer and put some fenders on it and painted it. I also got 2 deep cycle batteries and a 55 pound thrust motor guide bow mount electric for free. I also bought a cannon downrigger for $5 at a garage sale and it had a cannon ball on it as well. I also got a pail full of cannon balls (7 of them) for free. Wow a lot of alsos in that message. My point is that it doesn't cost much if you look around and ask people. You are very young, don't be afraid to ask for stuff. I am very greatful to all the people who donated stuff to me. I really like my boat (despite its small size, narrow beam, the leaks and the fact that it is not that stable). Those little boats can go places bigger boats cannot. Mike the Bass is ready to hit some shallow slop.

Just have the safety stuff with you and replace the wood in transom. I also repalced lots of the screws. I mad a casting platform up front and a platform for the electric as well. Have fun with it. I even made my own oars out of fenceboard but was later donated real ones.

It can be done really cheap.

My boat and trailer could only wish to look as nice as yours.

boat1.JPG

tony.JPG

congrats on the new boat. great news ,,that's a whole new freedom , fish whenever ,, wherever.

i disagree guys ,sorry ,, have some pride in the first of many boats . $6 or $7 bucks get some paint-remover ,, bring her back down to alum-silver ,, touch up the less than perfect areas with a can of silver car paint from cantire ,, like new !! if she gets some battle scars ,,quick blast of silver paint ,, beautiful again. give her a name ,, have a blast doin' it. :thumbsup_anim:

forget the paint. Fish like a boat that looks like crap. My first boat was a lot like that one. I've moved on and am on my fourth boat now, but that little tinny saw some of the best fishing days.

Ditto!!!

The fish will only see it for a few seconds!... spend your money more wisely on a sonar unit and some kind of motor!!!

That little boat right there will catch you some of the best fish of your life!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Function over form any day!... do you know what that means?

Congrats on the boat, bet you can't wait for the open water. My first boat was a 14' alum, I stripped the old paint, sanded the alum., cleaned it with alcohol, hit it with an automotive primer, and brushed on the deep blue tremclad paint. For 5 years, the paint never chipped, peeled, or fell off. Have fun with it, can't wait for the reports.

Daniel

Edited by DanielM

You must be pumped! too bad its just January. Like others have said I wouldn't worry about the paint, it has more character as it is! good luck with it, although Im sure you wont need it, based on some of your reports last year!

Great stuff Mike ! Enjoy it the way it is for awhile... drag it .. pull it and throw it in the water. If you paint it you'll be worried that you will scratch it until you get a better means of moving it.

Alum is not something you wanna hit with Tremclad. It needs to be properly chemically stripped.. possibly etched depending on the primer.... epoxy primed and then painted if you expect it to stick. Not cheap and not something you'll probably wanna tackle for a bit.

I used Tremclad aerosol paint to camo up my aluminum canoe 10 years ago and it hasn't fallen off yet. :dunno:

A friend of my grandmother had a older 12' aluminum boat that he has not used for a few years. This past summer i went out in his boat a few times and enjoyed myself. I just got a call from him and i was told i can have his boat for FREE! I am going up to there to see the boat again and to take a few pictures.Unfortunately this boat does not come with a trailer so i will have to leave it at my grandmas untill i can find a way of moving it. There is 2 brand new seats in the boat also. I would like to paint it once the summer comes around and for starters put a trolling motor on it. I am so excited that i got a boat now :)

Where would i get paint for the boat(do i need special paint)

Here is the only picture i have of the boat(behind myself)

I also need to get some paddles, and a anchor.

Too bad you didn't live near me. I would lend you my trailer so you could get it home. That offer stands. I don't know where up there is but if you are passing through Barrie and you need a trailer, let me know. You could use the trailer to get your boat home and bring it back to me.

If you get it home early enough you can have feb and march to work on it. Perfect timing if youask me.

Since it up in Kingston it's going to stay there. I will be able to fish in it this summer for 2 weeks and it will be staying there for another year. Going to be doing come customizations to it then. When i get there on the March break I’m going to make sure it's a 12' and take a few other measurements and lot's of pictures so i can get the supplies to bring it to life. We have a 40lb Minn Kota trolling motor and i think this will do fine for fishing on a small lake. What i like to do is paddle to my destination and slowly troll and fish on the way back. I wish I had a bigger back yard or I would have it here in Oshawa. I also would like to move that front seat to the middle because there is not much leg room at the bow of the boat.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody biggrin.gif

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Hey mike I had a 12 foot tiny as well as my first. I painted mine with tremclad rust paint and had no problems. tape off the bottom non painted section from the top painted section. I have a spray gun so I bought a quart and sprayed it. spray paint will work just as good. thin even coats is key try not to cover everything in one shoot or your just going to end up with a uneven coat and tons of runs. basically mist it on coat by coat let it dry between coats. it take a while but the end result will look good.

Picture108.jpg

Edited by silvio