A New Category is Needed for OFN Community

carp-starter

If OFC doesn't want the additional traffic leave it the way it is.

It's not like the guys who go directly to the general section will be affected. They'll still go directly to the general section.

The attitude of "love it or leave it" and "here we go again" is unfortunate here. There are the regulars who are too eager to come down on any new ideas or not so regulars. That is why I'm a not so regular.

Subtract all the unnecessary negativism from this thread and it would have disappeared within an hour. Good Idea but I don't know why I wasted 10 minutes of my life reading the whole thing.

carped

i also like the idea of the "best of" section, if it's just links to the actual post, it shouldn't take up too much server space."

EDIT

hey that's not fair TJ!! lol ... after seeing TJ type "b1 tched" i decided to try it on my own... and i ended up gettin... "carped" ... lol !

Edited by Victor

I agree with the sentiments expressed.

I still think my idea which I asked about awhile back is a good one though :) .

A "Best of OFC" archive section for the very best trip reports. There's been many, many outstanding reports posted over the years that get lost in the shuffle....

Sounds like a great Idea to me! i find myself digging through to find some moosebunk or solo threads! as well as many other interesting ones.

I agree with Chili - even though we will not be changing the board format anytime soon ( I hope!), we need to learn to accept well-meaning suggestions for improvement without accusations of hate. That with us / agin us attitude is wrong minded.

Once again, Tennesee Guy has hit the nail on the head!

HH

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

As a member of this board or community if you will, I don't consider myself a guest.

Being an active member of this community I see nothing wrong at all with expressing an idea that I truly believe is a good one.

Edited by solopaddler

Hmm OK.. Ill start a discussion with the mods.. ... heres a question for you... how do we decide whats a "best of"??? How do I answer the PMs that say... "well you made so and so's post a best of why not mine???"

Any criterea we should use... cause if its just up to the mods, we would get nothing but grief...

Hmm OK.. Ill start a discussion with the mods.. ... heres a question for you... how do we decide whats a "best of"??? How do I answer the PMs that say... "well you made so and so's post a best of why not mine???"

Any criterea we should use... cause if its just up to the mods, we would get nothing but grief...

That's a toughie for sure LOL! (never said the concept was perfect :) )

Obvious criteria would be # of views and/or replys.

Also ones that occur in more exotic locales, something beyond the norm.

If your going to make a new section, it should just be called fishing reports. Only reports (with pics :) ) allowed.

I kinda like it the way it is, but a reports section would be a welcomed new addition.

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

It is a hard decision to pick the best of. But just a suggesion, detail in words and pic detail (went to the BOG caught walleye, here's a pic, that's not really a best of, Solo's reports, Rich's reports, examples of best of),, greatest how to's (the reel cleaning thread comes to mind and the jig tying), and etc...

Again just a suggestion,

Edited by DanielM

Probably the best way would be to have a select few oldtimers who volunteer to pick and choose a list, then make a stickey at the top where users can post links or the thread number to the ones they like.

Best way to do it would be to give the power to the members.

If your going to make a new section, it should just be called fishing reports. Only reports (with pics :) ) allowed.

I kinda like it the way it is, but a reports section would be a welcomed new addition.

Sinker

I second this idea. This way I can go straight to the good stuff, reports with pics! That's what I most enjoy reading and why I first came here. No offense to the community, I do occasionally enjoy chatting about NF, but 99% of the time I want to read fishing reports, so it would be nice to have it all in one place that I can go straight to.

That would be amazing.

Excellent idea Sinker!

I don't care for other sites. Here it's like being in a crowd of people all the time with interesting coversation going on. Other sites its like you are in a huge building and you have to go look door to door for something interesting. They also seem too impersonal.

When you are out for a day with the guys fishing you don't talk fishing all day do you?

Separation of the main 'general discussion' section into fishing, non-fishing, 'best of', 'in memoriam' etc....

Goes against what makes this board successful and active.

Isn't there already a bunch of sub-forums, ...classifieds, members directory, hook-ups, fishing news, photography, etc....

to quote the infamous fidgeonpisher, "dang, beer, wings, elitism!"

This site is good the way it is, but i have a great idea!

I don't know if you guys ever heard of Unique Reps?

Basically when good advice is given or anything of that nature the person gives you a Rep point which can be good

for picking and choosing opinions and decisions or help when trying to resolve issues with anything from fishing to hunting, I've

seen this system on other Web Sites that i frequent.

This site is good the way it is, but i have a great idea!

I don't know if you guys ever heard of Unique Reps?

Basically when good advice is given or anything of that nature the person gives you a Rep point which can be good

for picking and choosing opinions and decisions or help when trying to resolve issues with anything from fishing to hunting, I've

seen this system on other Web Sites that i frequent.

There's other websites?????????? :o