braided line dilema

waterwolf

having never used power pro ,can't give an opinion on this product. went to BPS lookin' for stren superbraid on the boxing day sale and understandably ,they were sold out. the staff rep said that everyone is using power pro ,,"try it,, very popular".

spyed a new stren product ,sonic braid. didn't really need line , bought some ,just in case.

question is tossed to those who have used both power pro and super braid ,, what is your preferred line ??

i have to say that i'm very satisfied with super braid ,, your arguement will need to be strong to sway me. :thumbsup_anim:

I used to use Power Pro and have no issues with the line, except for that it looses it's color faster than super braid. I now use superbraid exclusively, and if you're happy with it to, I'd just stick to what you like and trust. There's 0 reasons to switch IMO, but if you need line and can't get your hands on any Stren, you probably won't be dissapointed with PPRO.

I've just switched to Power Pro Phantom Red this summer from mono Stren and can't be any happier with it...... except what UB said about the color fading.... real good strong line and a hell to get out of a snag.... don't need to change it often like mono :Gonefishing:

Used to buy a lot of mono refills but not anymore :D Like every 3 or 4 outings would respool my reels :w00t:

Leechman

I have used ppro (not often to say yes or no) and a the berkley crystal fire line (HATE IT) and Spider Wire (by Berkley too I think) and the Spider Wire casts VERY well and it's strong. After 2-years on the spool it's not all that faded and will become the tie to the backing this summer. I got 2 more 150 YD packs at BPS the other day of it as I am that happy with it...

I can't complain about either of them. I was very surprised with the Stren 14lb braid, it was supple like thread, maybe too supple, when creating birds nest on the bait caster it seemed to knot a bit tighter (thats bad) and eventually I ended up with a nick in the line so I put it on UL spinning reels. Other than that and price they were both good.

Power Pro was available in 500yrd spools at a good price so most of my reels have that and am sticking with it.

forrest

I used to use Power Pro and have no issues with the line, except for that it looses it's color faster than super braid. I now use superbraid exclusively, and if you're happy with it to, I'd just stick to what you like and trust. There's 0 reasons to switch IMO, but if you need line and can't get your hands on any Stren, you probably won't be dissapointed with PPRO.

Is "super braid" a brand name or a line type name? If you don't mind, what is a brand name of super braid? (I have an issue with the fact that lines to not usually come with their "type" written on the spool or package unless it is a part of the name. But that is another thread altogether)

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by Radnine

Spectra® Fiber is a Honeywell registered trademark....the stuff was invented by them. Whether it is labeled as PowerPro or whatever, it's the same stuff. It's as ugly and non intrusive as the black dacron lines we used as kids. The stuff is good in almost any brand for fish who are not finicky. NOW, there are the greens, the yellows, the reds etc... to do what? To SELL! Now I hear of people being concerned about the line discolouring? The colour does not matter.. the castability and the reliabilty (strength) does.

So, buy what you feel comfortable with. The only people who will complain about this post are folks who had a really awkward day casting or folks who are being sponsored by one of the labels.

Let's hear some feedback.

Yes, they're all made out of the same thing (spectra fiber)... but! they're not all manufactured the same!

Some a braided round (PP) and some are braided flat (stren gorilla braid comes to mind) and some aren't even braided at all (spiderwire fusion)

Some are coated (PP and fireline) and some aren't (the older Spiderwire). The coating makes the line stiffer IMO, and some of the coatings come off too easily (fireline).

It all boils down to personal preference and trial and error. I personally like the Spiderwire and PP brand braids.

I don't care for Fireline, stren gorilla braid, and spiderwire fusion... but that's just me!

All of them that I've used will fade with use and being exposed to sunlight over a period of time.

Just because someone says they like and have had good results with a product, doesn't mean you will.

Is "super braid" a brand name or a line type name? If you don't mind, what is a brand name of super braid? (I have an issue with the fact that lines to not usually come with their "type" written on the spool or package unless it is a part of the name. But that is another thread altogether)

Thanks,

Jim

Super Braid is just what Stren calls their braid.

As far as fading is concerned, I doubt it diminishes the line strength, I'm just a stickler with EVERYTHING, and I like looking down at a nice clean looking spool of line when I'm fishing! :thumbsup_anim:

When it comes to color, for the most part, who cares, I use a fluoro leader when I fish for anything from bluegill, to bass, and even carp. I'll use green line, without a leader if I'm fishing largemouth in thick cover, when the water's stained.

As for other "super lines" I got a spool of 14lb Fireline for my birthday this spring, and although I liked it better than fishing with mono, once it's pooched I won't be buying that product again, that's for sure! It's like fishing with dental floss! :wallbash:

Cheers,

UF

I use both and prefer Stren Super Braid over power pro it seems to last longer I find power pro tends to become linty with age and does fade some what quicker than the Stren.

That said I recently tried P-Line braid and prefer that it is the easiest braid to tie knots.This spring I will be purchasind some more P-line braid.

MTP

I use both, not much difference at the 65 lb rating in my opinion. I buy whatever is available and or on sale at the time. Also have used TUF-line braid and that was cheaper and not bad too, but couldn't find bulk spools at the time. I don't think you need to worry about switching away from Super Braid if you're happy with it. I started with PPro and now use more Super Braid than PPro just due to availability at the times I need it.

For spinning I use the 14 lb Super braid because I got a discount on a giant spool.

Charles

Last year on all of my rods I used Fireline Crystal (8 and 14lb) with a fluoro leader. My decision was based in information gleaned from this very sight. :thumbsup_anim:

The set-up worked very well and I don't think that I am looking to change.

Yes, I have seen some fraying, some discolouration (black, I am not sure if it is from the rod guides or the electrical tape that I used to secure it to the spool), and it does look like dental floss. But it is stronger than Superman's jock and I like the fact that I can see it on the surface.

Jim

having never used power pro ,can't give an opinion on this product. went to BPS lookin' for stren superbraid on the boxing day sale and understandably ,they were sold out. the staff rep said that everyone is using power pro ,,"try it,, very popular".

spyed a new stren product ,sonic braid. didn't really need line , bought some ,just in case.

question is tossed to those who have used both power pro and super braid ,, what is your preferred line ??

i have to say that i'm very satisfied with super braid ,, your arguement will need to be strong to sway me. :thumbsup_anim:

WW

Pm me I can help out. I have used Stren Superbraid, Power Pro and Sufix. IMO the best is Sufix Braid.

Jose

I am not sure if it is from the rod guides or the electrical tape that I used to secure it to the spool

Next time you re-spool back it with a little bit of mono rather using the tape. If the black is from the tape then that should solve your problem.

Edited by Dnthmn

Last year on all of my rods I used Fireline Crystal (8 and 14lb).

I just used that very line in 20LB as my backing on new baitcaster ONLY to fill the spool. Like I mentioned in another thread; I find to to be like floss and to not perform well on a spinning setup & worse on a baitcaster. I will try others but Spider Wire IMHO is great.

You may want to consider using the arbor knot to secure your line to your spool.

http://www.fintalk.com/fishing-knots/arbor-knot.html

Thanks for the info G,

I only used the tape as I read (here somewhere) that Fireline slips on the spool, regardless of the knot used. At least that's what I thought was meant. Perhaps white hockey tape?

The thought of going mono to the spool, then Fireline, then to a flouro leader sounds a bit like a boy scout's nightmare.

Sometimes I long for the days when you just bought a spool of whatever was on sale and threw it on the reel and used it until it balled up so bad it was easier to start again than to untangle it. Too many choices makes my head hurt. :blush:

Jim

Thanks for the info G,

I only used the tape as I read (here somewhere) that Fireline slips on the spool, regardless of the knot used. At least that's what I thought was meant. Perhaps white hockey tape?

The thought of going mono to the spool, then Fireline, then to a flouro leader sounds a bit like a boy scout's nightmare.

Sometimes I long for the days when you just bought a spool of whatever was on sale and threw it on the reel and used it until it balled up so bad it was easier to start again than to untangle it. Too many choices makes my head hurt. :blush:

Jim

I'd skip the tape altogether Jim, all lines will slip on the spool when you first begin to spool them up... but once you get a few good wraps on the spool, crank down the drag and pack it on there!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim: