Trying Something New

douG

BigUgli,

The recipe starts the day before, for a coupla hours on the counter, then overnight in the fridge. The long rise makes it sweet and chewy, and the steam tray in the oven makes the crust cripsy, with a nice poof pumping up the bubbles.

BigUgli,

The recipe starts the day before, for a coupla hours on the counter, then overnight in the fridge. The long rise makes it sweet and chewy, and the steam tray in the oven makes the crust cripsy, with a nice poof pumping up the bubbles.

Gotta have that steam else any bread stays soft. if its pulla no steam wanted.

I use the bread making machine but just put it on the dough setting. It mixes and kneeds the bread for me, takes 2 hours.

Then I remove it from the machine and kneed it again adding just enough flour to make it workable. I then shape it into rolls or loafs or whatever I want and place it on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven with the light on for about an hour to let it rise again.

last step, bake at about 375 for (about 12 minutes for rolls, 22-25 minutes for loafs). You can use the "pan of water" if you want crusty or do as I do, I just use a spray bottle and mist it a couple of times while it is baking, that way I can do soft and crusty both at the same time.

Turn it out onto a wire rack to cool and you are done.

I was wondering if that was the no knead recipe when I saw the pictures. I have been thinking of trying it . What did you but it in for it's time in the oven? The recipes I saw called for a dutch oven which we don't have, which is why I have not tried doing it yet.

It looks great. I know it would not last past one meal at our place. Debbe especially loves fresh bread.

Next time, I will try the following: warmer water in the final mix, smaller loaves (three, not two from the batch), a longer rise in the loaf shape, and a cooler oven for the baking. I am shooting for a rustic style loaf, chewy texture, with big bubbles and a crisp crust.

This recipe uses a lot of water, so the dough is very sticky. I kneaded it in a bowl with a wet hand, rather than on a floured surface. I just cooked it on a cookie sheet, lined with parchment and coated with corn meal.

This is the recipe from the book I got from my sister for Christmas. She also gave me a kitchen scale which helps a lot with the measuring.

Give it a try. It takes some planning since the making goes over two days, but the taste is worth it.

Edited by douG